Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouses

Options
  • 15-11-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on Greenhouses. Not into gardening myself but the better half is and I thought it might make a nice present.

What should I be looking for by way of features, construction materials and where to get them

The nicest I've seen is this one for around €650 but it could be rubbish. BTW, I live in a fairly windy spot

http://www.greenhouse-reviews.com/hobby-grower-snap-grow.php

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I was going to start a similar thread. I'm going to buy a Greenhouse after Christmas and i was looking at Waltons who seem to have good stuff and a reasonable price. They also deliver for free. They have an Irish web site. Worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I was going to start a similar thread. I'm going to buy a Greenhouse after Christmas and i was looking at Waltons who seem to have good stuff and a reasonable price. They also deliver for free. They have an Irish web site. Worth a look.
    Excellent at 1st glance. With regard to construction materials, do you know if they are good or otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

You'd need to do a bit of research. What do you intend to grow? Are you going to grow in the ground or in pots? Bear in mind, most of the prices advertised won't include a base which could add another €100.
    Have a look in the DIY shops, I know Atlantic in Clonard used to have them, It'll give you some idea of size and what to use, i.e. glass or polycarbonate.
    You'd also need to pick your site carefully, out of strong winds and preferably getting some sun all year round.
    There used to be a guy in Gorey, who made I think, bespoke greenhouses as well as selling standard ones. I don't know if he's still around, I'll see if I can dig out his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

oldyouth wrote: »
    Excellent at 1st glance. With regard to construction materials, do you know if they are good or otherwise

I'm going to go for a Polycarbonate House. Im not getting a big one as I have a nice bit of garden in between the shed and the fence. I'm thinking of the 6' X 6'. It comes with a free base, free deliveryand looks like a good one.
    Here's some details.. http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/waltons-extra-tall-polycarbonate-greenhouses

The Walton’s Extra Tall Polycarbonate Greenhouses are garden buildings that would make your garden a fantastic place to be and fulfil all of your gardening needs. These greenhouses are supported by a very durable Aluminium frame which makes them resistant to wear and tear and ideal for everyday use. The Aluminium frame is coated with resin powder which gives it an eye catching, evergreen colour and more sturdiness as well. These frames are fortified with strong UV protected polycarbonate glazing measuring 4mm thick. The UV protection provides your plants pure sunlight and filter off any harmful UV rays. Since Aluminium is lightweight, sturdy, rust resistant and a good conductor of heat, it makes up for an ideal material to be used for the greenhouses’ construction.
    Polycarbonate glazing has twin walls with ribbed channels that ensure that the insulating temperature inside the greenhouse remains constant. Plus, unlike glass, polycarbonate does not shatter as easily as glass and doesn’t lose much heat either when compared to glass. Whether you’re an experienced gardener or a beginner, these buildings will provide you with the ultimate greenhouse and gardening experience. The Extra Tall Polycarbonate Greenhouses range includes six different sized garden buildings, all (except the 4’ x 6’) with opening vents that be used to regulate the temperature.
    These greenhouses come with a drainage system as well, that be used to collect rainwater to reuse on the plants. We have equipped the Extra Tall Polycarbonate Greenhouses with sliding doors to maximise on cubic space. This range is called Extra Tall because the ridge height on the greenhouses is 7’ 1” which makes them one of the tallest greenhouses available in the market.
    The FREE galvanised steel base requires no maintenance, has a long life expectancy, is reliable, tough, low cost and ready to assemble.
    The building is easy to erect and arrives in greenhouse kit form with simple instructions and FREE ground pegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

bmaxi wrote: »
    You'd need to do a bit of research. What do you intend to grow? Are you going to grow in the ground or in pots? Bear in mind, most of the prices advertised won't include a base which could add another €100.
    Have a look in the DIY shops, I know Atlantic in Clonard used to have them, It'll give you some idea of size and what to use, i.e. glass or polycarbonate.
    You'd also need to pick your site carefully, out of strong winds and preferably getting some sun all year round.
    There used to be a guy in Gorey, who made I think, bespoke greenhouses as well as selling standard ones. I don't know if he's still around, I'll see if I can dig out his number.
    Good advice, thanks. The one on the Waltons website includes a base. I had a look at the one in Atlantic/Woodies in Clonard and wasn't impressed. On the display model, the door wouldn't close and it looked rickety.

As I say, I know nothing about gardening but the better half is in to trying to grow herbs, tomatoes, potted plants, chillies, cactus etc.

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    Good advice, thanks. The one on the Waltons website includes a base. I had a look at the one in Atlantic/Woodies in Clonard and wasn't impressed. On the display model, the door wouldn't close and it looked rickety.

As I say, I know nothing about gardening but the better half is in to trying to grow herbs, tomatoes, potted plants, chillies, cactus etc.

That looks quite reasonable, I would go for minimum 8x6 and enquire about a louvred vent to fit the end opposite the door, this will allow for throughput of air. Polycarbonate is very light and you could wake up some morning and find your greenhouse next door, hence the need for a sheltered spot.
    All the things you mentioned can quite easily be grown in pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I got mine from Polydome. Great service - I got them to put it up for me - was going to do it myself and save the €400 they charge to construct - so glad I didn't, took two of their guys one and a half very hard days to get it up. Greenhouse was about €1,500 at the time but was a long-wanted present to myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rumby

hi
    i am thinking about buying a greenhouse from
    http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/gardman-polycarbonate-greenhouses

its the 6foot by 6 foot greenhouse for E249.99.

can anyone recommened it or the company?

I know i should be spending more on it but funds are low.

any advice would be welcome.thanks

rumby wrote: »
    hi
    i am thinking about buying a greenhouse from
    http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/gardman-polycarbonate-greenhouses

its the 6foot by 6 foot greenhouse for E249.99.

can anyone recommened it or the company?

I know i should be spending more on it but funds are low.

any advice would be welcome.thanks

6x6 is very small. You would also need a base of some description, the one supplied with this one is €100. The 8x6 posted above by Fred funk looks a better option. Can't comment on the company as i'm not familiar with them but Gardman tools are quite widely sold, they would be at the cheaper end of the market.

Advertisement