Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experienced Builder wanting to volunteer?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just wondering, on behalf of my dad, a builder, where to go re: volunteering as a builder abroad. Its something he's always been keen to do and it the current climate it seems ideal right now.

He was very keen with the Niall Mellon set up but doesnt want a two week stint, he'd prefer a long term thing, 2months+, and willing to teach HOW to build aswell.

Any tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

He should get himself into Irish Aid on O Connell st. They often have volunteering fairs where you can speak to many different organizations. They also give consultations (or else it's one of their partners who give the consultations), where they bring you in, you talk about your experience and they give you options.

You can get a list of organizations that attended a previous fair here.
    You needn't wait for the next fair (that happen in different spots around the country btw), you can just go to the websites for each organization and contact them.

Skillshare International Ireland is the first one that sprung to my mind for your father. They are on the list above. They say they've no current vacancies, but if you fill out an application they may be able to find him a position.

I've experience of dealing with most of the organizations on that list so contact me if you want to know more about any of them. For example, Viatores Christie would put most people off by being very holy moly. But once you get past the chanting (praying) they're actually a very good and experienced organization and once you're abroad it doesn't matter if you were sent by a Catholic agency or not.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ajjlsa

Hi Happy Dog

Another option for your father would be the chernobyl childrens project as they run teams of voluntary workers to various location rebuilding and refurbishing orphanages. This is on an ongoing basis so he could really get stuck in. Your local group will give you all information you need or just log onto their website.

In volunteering

Ajjlsa

Advertisement