Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late trimming of Leylandii trees.

Options
  • 16-11-2010 2:23am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads and ladies,

Looking for some advice on the trimming of Leylandii trees. An elderly neighbour has approached me recently to trim his trees that run around 50% of his property. Its an isolated bungalow so neighbouring houses are not an issue. I used to have trees like this on my old property, but i trimmed them regularly each year.

I went up to have a look and they are in need of at least 12-14 inches of trimming on the sides and at least the same on top. I've been told by some friends that are into gardening not to cut back more than 6-8 inches.

Also i assume (especially with the colder days and nights) this is not the best time of year to do some trimming, but my fear is if i tell him to wait till next year he will go at it himself and fall/injure himself.

Options and advice all welcomed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

leylandii tend to have a 'shell' of green around them, and it's all brown inside that shell. you'd need to check to see if cutting back as much as you mention would cut all the greenery away; beware of this because leylandii will not grow foliage again on the brown branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

TBH most of the time you'd be better off felling them and replacing with a laurel hedge or something similarly manageable. Leylandii grow really fast and as magicbastarder says once you trim away any of the outside greenery you're left with dead brown innards that won't regrow. So in effect all you can do is trim them back to so they increase in size slowly rather than quickly.
    They'll inevitably have to be felled.

Advertisement