Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal meth

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

AH, But, The Young Lady in Question was most likely an American, so when quizzed as to the design of her costume she would have replied LadyBug therefore the Poster is correct in using the vernacular of the occasion for descriptive purposes :p

for example, if I brought a ute Back to Ireland I wouldnt suddenly start callin it a Pickup truck

I might entertain 'Scut Truck' as an alternative tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

plus a ladybug is a bug, not a bird, so its more apt. I say ladybug anyway, I also say aloo-minum not aloo-min-ee-um, and call them bucks not quid, cos thats how I roll.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When I was on my J1 visa in California in 1996 I had a fling with this guy who was fun and interesting. It was only a fling but we stayed in touch via email.

Two years later I went back on holidays there and stayed with another friend. I had planned to meet up with the guy who I'd had the fling with. He was unrecognisable (for the worse) wearing these weird clothes and speaking a load of rushed nonsense, he even tried to lock me into his house when I went back there with him. I managed to escape - just about - via the back door.

Found out later through someone else that knew him that he'd become a Meth addict a few months previously. Very, very scary. It's an evil drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

You in the States now?
    No?
    Call it a ladybird then.
    Sound.

You're rude but also quite funny.. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

krudler wrote: »
    I was at a Halloween party in the States a few weeks back, big event in a hotel, and got asked twice if I had any or knew where to score it, both times by girls too, just everyday looking girls (well one was dressed as a ladybug, but I dont think that was cos of the meth)

Hmmmm - familiar?

(http://gawker.com/5674353/i-had-a-one+night-stand-with-christine-odonnell)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

krudler wrote: »
    plus a ladybug is a bug, not a bird, so its more apt. I say ladybug anyway, I also say aloo-minum not aloo-min-ee-um, and call them bucks not quid, cos thats how I roll.

Noooooooo! You must be on drugs;)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

If that drug came to this country in the big way like coke and gear, id say the best thing we could do is set the country on fire and move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

AH, But, The Young Lady in Question was most likely an American, so when quizzed as to the design of her costume she would have replied LadyBug therefore the Poster is correct in using the vernacular of the occasion for descriptive purposes :p

for example, if I brought a ute Back to Ireland I wouldnt suddenly start callin it a Pickup truck

I might entertain 'Scut Truck' as an alternative tho ;)

You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

He was probably on PCP

PCP is acid isn't it? At least according to the SU in Trinity it is:
    LSD-25
    AKA acid, trips, PCP, angel dust
    Short term effects: the effects of acid last between 8 – 12 hours. PCP gives you an increase in physical strength, switches off physical pain and can turn you psychotic. Vitamin C is an antidote to acid, which apparently acts to compress the remaining trip into about half an hour; this may or may not seem better than a long bad trip.
    :pac: I can only imagine the horror if someone read that rubbish and bought some PCP expecting a day of psychedelic spazzing out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

amacachi wrote: »
    :pac: I can only imagine the horror if someone read that rubbish and bought some PCP expecting a day of psychedelic spazzing out. :pac:

Also the suggestion that Vitamin C is an antidote to acid... WTF? In many cases Vitamin C will make things worse.

• Advertisement

mloc wrote: »
    Also the suggestion that Vitamin C is an antidote to acid... WTF? In many cases Vitamin C will make things worse.

Next time I see someone running into a chemist and demanding vitamin C at least I'll know why. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    Next time I see someone running into a chemist and demanding vitamin C at least I'll know why. :pac:

I actually emailed them about the inaccuracies, and in fairness to the welfare officer, she got right back to me. It's an old page and she's trying to rewrite it at the moment with the help of a medicinal chemist. I imagine when the chemist sees the current page they'll get a laugh out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

I'm working on it. I'll let you know how I get on...

http://imgur.com/TSCgl.jpg

Truth be told, in the Celtic Tiger days most people who thought they were doing cocaine were doing some sort of amphetamine.

mates of mine would tell me "oh man I did two lines and I was up all night until the next day!" That's not cocaine, that's amphetamine.

I actually emailed them about the inaccuracies, and in fairness to the welfare officer, she got right back to me. It's an old page and she's trying to rewrite it at the moment with the help of a medicinal chemist. I imagine when the chemist sees the current page they'll get a laugh out of it.

In fairness she could just rewrite it with a quick bit of googling or asking around, it's not that hard to find out information. It's also easy to say you'll do something. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the sensationalism in this thread is making my eyes bleed :(.

Methamphetamine isn't some molecule of satan. It's just amphetamine (speed) with an extra methyl group. If you don't know your chemistry just think of them as being very simmilar.
    It's main effect is on your dopamine system, not endorphins: so it's an extreme motivation buzz (like coke, speed) rather than a pleasure buzz (heroin).

However, there are two crucial differences between amphetamine (speed) and methamphetamine (crystal meth).

1; Crystal meth tends to be smoked, not snorted. This makes it way more addictive (the speed of the come-up is crucial when considering addictiveness).
    If you could find a way of smoking speed it should be equally addictive.
    If you could find a way of smoking cocaine (i.e crack) it too should be equally addictive.
    There's nothing in the methamphetamine molecule that makes it any more addictive than the other stimulants. It's the fact that it's smoked/injected that make it seem so addictive.
    If you want proof of this just look at the fact that in pill form it's prescribed to kids with adhd (from wikipedia):
    Methamphetamine is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and exogenous obesity, marketed in the USA and Canada under the trademark name Desoxyn.[4]
    However, methamphetamine is still a nasty drug for reason number 2:

Methamphetamine is neurotoxic. It destroys your dopamine neurons, the same neurons needed for the buzz crystal meth creates. Basically, every time you use crystal meth you're permanently taking away from your ability to feel a dopamine buzz. This is the real reason why crystal meth is worse than the other drugs.

And If you're wondering why we don't have crystal meth here, it's because we have a ready supply of other stimulants.
    Crystal meth is actually much more expensive than cocaine or regular speed.
    It just happens to be piss easy to make from not too hard to get ingredients. Which is why it became popular in isolated rural areas of large countries (such as the midwest usa), or other areas that for whatever reason traditionally weren't as well connected to the global drugs grid.

Essentially, the crystal meth problem is just another example of how the war on drugs does more harm than good. Without prohibition, crystal meth never would have become anywhere near as big as it is now.
    It would have been consigned to obscurity decades ago, forgotten along with the hundreds of other stimulants nobody cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Methamphetamine isn't some molecule of satan.

I think in today's society it most certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

E=MC2

I don't want to talk to a scientist, y'all mother fcukers lyin, and gettin me pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

I don't want to talk to a scientist, y'all mother fcukers lyin, and gettin me pissed

Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

If it ever becomes popular in Ireland, I hope the people dealing it get kneecapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

`chemistry stuff
    Your username is extremely apt. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it ever becomes popular in Ireland, I hope the people dealing it get kneecapped.
    wow just wow.

You want the paramilitaries to impose their values on society ? Even during the worst of the in-fighting groups from both sides of the sectarian divide agreed boundaries to their turf.

That led to a situtation where joyriders risked being shot at by the RUC, the UK armed forces and the paramilitaries. Guess what ? Didn't stop joyriding. Joyriding isn't quite as addictive and profitable as drugs.

If you are going to propose a vigalante solution, remember a solution isn't a solution unless it works. And even if it solved the drugs problem ( which it won't ) it would lead to other (fatal) problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fucking magnets, how do they work?
    Simple, they repel bismuth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I know a lad who does quite a bit of drugs who said that mephedrone is actually quite similar in chemical makeup to crystal meth so mephedrone effectively has already taken the place in the Irish market for any would be crystal meth importers. I can't seem to find information about this on the web so does anyone know if this is true??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have been away fom Ireland for a few years and boards is my only contact with Irelands current affairs.

Crystal meth or 'P' is massive in US and a serious problem in New Zealand but I never hear anything about it on boards.

Has it hit down there yet or whats the story.

Cheers
    Ya.
    Pretty big here.
    Cause of loads of police raids.
    Dangerous sh!t.

wow just wow.

You want the paramilitaries to impose their values on society ? Even during the worst of the in-fighting groups from both sides of the sectarian divide agreed boundaries to their turf.

That led to a situtation where joyriders risked being shot at by the RUC, the UK armed forces and the paramilitaries. Guess what ? Didn't stop joyriding. Joyriding isn't quite as addictive and profitable as drugs.

If you are going to propose a vigalante solution, remember a solution isn't a solution unless it works. And even if it solved the drugs problem ( which it won't ) it would lead to other (fatal) problems.
    The people who deal crystal meth see what it does to other people, families and communities. I think people who do this should be punished severely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

The people who deal crystal meth sell alcohol see what it does to other people, families and communities. I think people who do this should be punished severely

Pookah wrote: »
    As harmful as alcohol is and as destructive as it is to families, it has nothing on crystal meth.

As harmful as alcohol is and as destructive as it is to families, it has nothing on crystal meth.

Nonsense. It causes damage to far, far more people than crystal meth ever will.

Nonsense. It causes damage to far, far more people than crystal meth ever will.
    Simple way to settle it. Have someone take alcohol everyday for the next year and have someone else take crystal meth. Gee I wonder who would be worse off.

• Advertisement

Simple way to settle it. Have someone take alcohol everyday for the next year and have someone else take crystal meth. Gee I wonder who would be worse off.

How does that settle it? Your username is a misnomer; that is not a good comparison.

That social cost of alcohol, it's impact on society and public health and the lobbying power of the alcohol industry makes, quite reasonably, meth look like a very small issue indeed.

Alcohol related issues, indeed, trump the negative effects of every illegal drug, combined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement