Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal meth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Fremen wrote: »
    It was a lousy example. That's all I'm sayin'.
    Well its only an internet forum and you're not an authority on toxicology, so im not bothered. Thats all im sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm not going to quote everyone who disagreed with me re:alcohol.
    My point is that one unit of alcohol will impair the judgement of very few people.
    One standard dose of meth will get you off your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Terry wrote: »
    One standard dose of meth will get you off your face.

That depends how you define a standard dose of meth. They give it to people with depression and ADD in "standard" doses. Not in the pure crystal form you get on the street, but then again, there's a difference between Carlsberg and poitin too.

I'm not saying crystal meth is a good thing - in fact I think it's about as dangerous as crack cocaine, and much worse for society because it's relatively easy to make. I just don't think it's as black and white as some others who have been posting.

Fremen wrote: »
    That depends how you define a standard dose of meth. They give it to people with depression and ADD in "standard" doses. Not in the pure crystal form you get on the street, but then again, there's a difference between Carlsberg and poitin too.

I'm not saying crystal meth is a good thing - in fact I think it's about as dangerous as crack cocaine, and much worse for society because it's relatively easy to make. I just don't think it's as black and white as some others who have been posting.
    We're talking about the crap you buy on the street and not medication.

Remember, you're talking about the country which gave the world Hillbilly heroin.
    Whatever you think about the vintners and pharmacists in Ireland, they don't have a patch on their U.S. counterparts.

The regulation on pharmaceuticals in America is far more liberal than it is here. The U.S. pharmaceutical lobby is extremely powerful. Their politicians are bought and sold by lobbyists, and most laws passed are funded by monied interest groups. Yeah, it happens here, but you just have to say that you won the money in Cheltenham and you're grand.

They have a completely different medical system to ours. If you have no money and no medical insurance, then you die. Simple as that. The pharmacists there do not want a welfare system like our own, so they sponsor politicians opposed to it.

Then you have the way medicine is dispensed. All you do is go to a psychiatrist. Tell them that you're obese and can't concentrate. Off you go with your Desoxyn.

I'll give you a personal example of what happens here. I'm addicted to xanax (alprazolam). My old GP (R.I.P.) gave me them. I was prescribed 0.25mg 3 times a day. That was about 12 years ago. I've been on the same amount since then.
    That's a very low dose of that particular drug, but it's still very addictive.
    Over the years I went through some bad patched where I would go through a month's supply in 2 weeks. My GP would then just give me more, but I always had to see a psychyatrist or councillor afterwards. I'd say this happened about 2 or 3 times a year.
    After he died there was a slew of locums in his place. Most of them were very wary about prescribing xanax to me. On one occasion one of the locums wrote my prescription so that I had to go the the chemist every day to pick up my 3 pills.

At my worst I was popping 12 pills in one go. That's 3mg.
    I'm down to about 2/3 of my monthly prescription for about a year now, so I only need to pick them up 8 times a year.

In the interest of honesty, I still have bad days. Today was one. I took 4 at about 2pm today. I was out for the count at 3. I was woken by my phone ringing at 6, and only got up because it was my cousin's kid nearly in tears because he couldn't connect to the internet (poor fecker lives in the middle of nowhere, so he never really made any friends), so I went and sorted that. I would have slept for another few hours.

Now let's look at America. I don't even think they bother with the 0.25mg pills.
    They don't care if you're an addict. All they want is their referral fee and money. There's no after care for patients. They just throw pills at you. Whichever one works is the one they keep giving you. If you run out of money, then you can go and **** off.

You want treatment for your addiction? Then you're going to pay substantially for that too.
    We don't care that we're the ones who gave you the pills in the first place. We're still going to charge you more in order to get you off those pills. We may even give you a substitute pill and charge you for that one too.

America is not the place to look to when you're talking about harmful substances. It's an extremely right wing capitalist society. They really do not care about the consumer. All they want to see is growing profits, and their government completely supports this. Just look at their reluctance to sign the Kyoto protocol.

I think you might be the naive one

I'm far from naive when it comes to drugs.
    I'm an addict. I know exactly what it's like to be addicted to drugs. Mind you, they're all legal.

You come across as one of those who subscribes to the theory put forth in South Park's 'Bloody Mary' episode. That is, it's all about moderation. That's complete and utter crap.

I didn't set out to become addicted to anything. These drugs just got the better of me over a long period of time. The only one I ever took for pleasure was alcohol. Even with that, I can go without for a few days. The others are far more insidious, and hit you over a longer period of time.

Caffeine: Meh. Half the world is addicted in some way or another.
    Nicotine: I only started smoking to see if it really was addictive. Sort of glad that I did. It made me realise what addiction is and kept me from doing readily available heroin.
    Alcohol: I'm Irish.
    Xanax: I'd say that I would have killed myself were it not for this drug.

Crystal meth: No thank you. I like my dopamine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It might be worth pointing out that whether a drug is legal or not has absolutely no impact on how dangerous or addictive it is.

Clinically speaking, the two most dangerous addictions in terms of widthdrawal and physical symptoms are alcohol and benzos (e.g. valium etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Terry wrote: »
    I'm far from naive when it comes to drugs.
    I'm an addict. I know exactly what it's like to be addicted to drugs. Mind you, they're all legal.

No offence but that's a bit of a contradiction in terms, you may not be naive now, but in my opinion you had to be to get addicted in the first place. The legality is neither here nor there, your liver and kidneys don't know anything about the law.
    You come across as one of those who subscribes to the theory put forth in South Park's 'Bloody Mary' episode. That is, it's all about moderation. That's complete and utter crap.

I disagree it is all about moderation to a certain extent, and knowledge is absolutely key. Truthfull media reporting would go a long way, people hear things they know to be rubbish on tv etc and so mistakenly believe that everything they've heard is rubbish. 1st time addiction is an idiotic concept and leads naive people to believe dangerously addictive substances like meth in this example can be taken lightly. Newspapers and tv etc should tell the truth about these things, not sensationalist bulls'hit. It's in everybodies interest. More recently certain websites (i don't think i can name them here) must have saved thousands of people from addiction, overdoses etc, they are invaluable if you ask me.

I didn't set out to become addicted to anything. These drugs just got the better of me over a long period of time. The only one I ever took for pleasure was alcohol. Even with that, I can go without for a few days. The others are far more insidious, and hit you over a longer period of time.

This is my entire point, it didn't just happen overnight, there had to be warning signs which you either missed ( ie. naivety or disinformation) or ignored for whatever reason personal to yourself. You say you never set out to be an addict, which is probably true in almost all cases, but the difference is i set out specifically not to be an addict, i mean absolutely determined to never become an addict. Also you had some sort of underlying problems which luckily for me i didn't, every drug i took, i took purely for pleasure. I'm sure that helped me stay addiction free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Also you had some sort of underlying problems which luckily for me i didn't, every drug i took, i took purely for pleasure. I'm sure that helped me stay addiction free too.

That's a pretty dumb statement in fairness. You don't think people become addicted when they just do drugs for fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think it's fairly obvious that if someone is taking any drug (legal or illegal, prescription or back alley) to escape something in their lives that they don't like, they are more likely to become addicted to it. When the effect wears off and the problem is still there, it's more likely that they will repeat than if they were just having a laugh. What's dumb about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

What's dumb about that?

Nothing, I completely agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Maybe that's why the government brought in the restrictions against buying Nurophen Plus/Solphadine? Both of them have codine in them. Could be preparing themselves.
    Whats codeine got to do with crystal meth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

deathrider wrote: »
    Could you tell a little about it. Form, what kinda high, the generals effects of it. Outside of the name, I n=know nothing about.

Well from what ive seen in documentary etc it comes in a small quantity of crystal looking powderish stuff and you smoke it in a glass pipe.

Its supposed to be way more potent than heroin and also way more addictive. The first hit is a flood of endorfins?!? to the brain and any subsequent hits never get back to that level of high but those who become addicted (nearly all who try it) are constantly chasing the initial high.

It makes users believ that there are bugs under their skin so they can spend hours trying to dig them out with their finger nails leaving scars and such.
    It dried out your mouth and stop syliva forming so your teeth rot.

It makes people completely lose the run of themselves and they rob stuff to support the habit and shoot at police when they start chasing them etc.

It seems to be the most destructive thing imaginable to safe, sane society and its effects are spreading all over the states, oz, nz and elsewhere I would imagine.

You were watching "Ice Age" before posting this weren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

SteoL wrote: »

And what were you watching? "Back To The Future"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

The effects of crystal meth are exaggerated. Heroin is far more destructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know it's only one documentary - but did you see the Louis Theroux one about the town addicted to it? Seems as bad as, if not worse than, heroin.

Btw, why are zombie bumped threads often from exactly a year before...? Same with the women in nightclubs one... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Dudess wrote: »
    I know it's only one documentary - but did you see the Louis Theroux one about the town addicted to it? Seems as bad as, if not worse than, heroin.

Btw, why are zombie bumped threads often from exactly a year before...? Same with the women in nightclubs one... :(

Link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Leftist wrote: »
    The effects of crystal meth are exaggerated. Heroin is far more destructive.

That's some bad ****

Interesting fact - Adolf Hitler was a meth addict Fuher is a Junkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    SteoL wrote: »

And what were you watching? "Back To The Future"?

Haha. Was googling away and this thread came up. Didn't Realise it a year old or that I posted in it a year ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I have tried Meth twice two summers ago. Smoked it on both occasions. The effects for me included an extraordinary sense of tranquility, as well as ferocious powers concentration and mental clarity. In some ways the sensation is something along the lines of a perfect state of mind. I played the piano for about 7 hours straight and stayed up all night. The come down was inverse, but probably more intense.

It is a highly addictive drug obviously, but these effects are multiplied by the fact that most of those who try it are predisposed to drug abuse by virtue of their position in life. I don't think I would allow myself use it regularly because it is incredibly deleterious to one's health, be it mental or physical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Middle class crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You never know who's on meth - could be your pizza guy, your bus driver ... your emergency room doctor at 3am. Those damned blue-collar tweekers are the backbone of this town ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I have tried Meth twice two summers ago. Smoked it on both occasions. The effects for me included an extraordinary sense of tranquility, as well as ferocious powers concentration and mental clarity. In some ways the sensation is something along the lines of a perfect state of mind. I played the piano for about 7 hours straight and stayed up all night. The come down was inverse, but probably more intense.

It is a highly addictive drug obviously, but these effects are multiplied by the fact that most of those who try it are predisposed to drug abuse by virtue of their position in life. I don't think I would allow myself use it regularly because it is incredibly deleterious to one's health, be it mental or physical.

SWIM took ecstacy and can't understand the energising effects reported by so many. It's produces an intense effect in and of itself but as you said the effects even of such powerful drugs can depend massively on the person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

SWIM smoked P in NZ one time, SWIM wasn't mad about it so I can't really see how people get so strung out on it. Meth addicts are not very pretty to look at though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I've never done it but if someone brought out a bag of the blue stuff from Breaking Bad I'd be all over it in a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

AFaIK there isint much about in Ireland but I know people who have lived in the States and would have consumed just about every other mind altering substance known to humankind but wouldnt touch meth with a ten foot pole.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I thought they already used that picture to describe the effects of cocaine?
    Maybe in 50 years people will see that meth is harmless and the testimonies were just similar to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

though on extended maternity leave now,the sis is a councilor/therapist in drug addiction,had wondered how bad ice was over here after watching so many women who had trashed their lives with ice, on dog the bounty hunter,funny how he always passed them a alternative addiction-a fag before hauling their asses into jail.
    anyway,she said she has never ever had one client addicted to ice before, nor met anyone who has taken it,its very rare in england.
    am guessing its probably very similar in ireland-it seems to be mainly an american drug of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Link?

http://watchdocumentary.com/watch/the-city-addicted-to-crystal-meth-video_57d94ccae.html

Love Louis Theroux's stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Maybe in 50 years people will see that meth is harmless and the testimonies were just similar to this.

I dunno Ive heard people claiming all manner of recreational drugs are harmless (or at least that their harmful effects are incredibly exaggerated). Many of these claims sound pretty credible.

Ive yet to hear anyone making credible claims regarding the benefits of meth.

The boy who cried wolf and all that...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement