Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MNS Team of the Season

• 16-11-2010 2:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Alan Mannus (Shamrock Rovers)
    Brian Shelley (Bohemians)
    Dan Murray (Shamrock Rovers)
    Conor Kenna (St. Pats)
    Conor Powell (Bohemians)
    Shaun Williams(Sporting Fingal)
    Richie Ryan(Sligo Rovers)
    Paul Keegan (Bohemians)
    Billy Dennehy(Shamrock Rovers)
    Joseph Ndo (Sligo Rovers)
    Gary Twigg (Shamrock Rovers)

I'd question the inclusion of Shelley and Powell who have been woeful for me. Maybe Stephen O'Donnell for Keegan too but I think Keegan finished the season strong in fairness to him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Conor Kenna plays for Rovers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

iregk wrote: »
    Conor Kenna plays for Rovers?

Not yet he doesnt :pac:

How in the name of jaysis did Mannus get in ahead of Rogers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mannus has been different class this season, by far and a way the best goalkeeper in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

dreamers75 wrote: »

How in the name of jaysis did Mannus get in ahead of Rogers?

By being consistantly better.

Only two I would question are Shelly, who was gash and Ndo who only played half a season. I assume he was padding for Sligs.

Other than that, its hard to argue with that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Would have had Podge Amond in instead of N'do. I think Joe only has to turn up for a few games (which is his wont) to get into these line-ups.

Also don't think Billy was deserving of a place in this line-up or as our young player of the year. I would have sneaked in James Chambers there.

• Advertisement

Have Rovers fans forgotten they wanted Mannus dropped due to his errors?

Rogers had more clean sheets and barely any errors. Easily the best keeper in the league this season.

Have Rovers fans forgotten they wanted Mannus dropped due to his errors?.

Some Rovers fans...

Have Rovers fans forgotten they wanted Mannus dropped due to his errors?

Rogers had more clean sheets and barely any errors. Easily the best keeper in the league this season.

The problem with these lists is the minnow, mid table teams fans all reckon their players were the best. Partially because they see more of them and are biased, but honestly, which is why this was selected by a panel of neutrals, and partially parochialism and 'look at us, we exist too' attitude, which there is no cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Mannus is a strange keeper, very assured 99% of the time and has improved his kick outs from back passes but is prone to odd decision making and the odd howler. What is it with the slow plodding around retrieving the ball and the time it takes for placing the ball and kicking out even when Rovers are losing?

Good keeper in fairness and has improved his game. Just speed it up a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You are incorrigible ONYD :D

Not sure about Billy Dennehy, he had a great middle of the season but was quite poor at either end.

• Advertisement

bohsboy wrote: »
    Mannus is a strange keeper, very assured 99% of the time and has improved his kick outs from back passes but is prone to odd decision making and the odd howler. What is it with the slow plodding around retrieving the ball and the time it takes for placing the ball and kicking out even when Rovers are losing?

Good keeper in fairness and has improved his game. Just speed it up a bit!

I doubt there are many keepers (or players) at this level who don't have weak points in their game. The really weak part of his game for me is dominating his box and coming out for the ball but he's the best shot stopper in the league, bar none. If Rovers could have actually got it together to take a few competent penalties on Sunday, I would have fancied Alan to save another few.

The problem with these lists is the minnow, mid table teams fans all reckon their players were the best. Partially because they see more of them and are biased, but honestly, which is why this was selected by a panel of neutrals, and partially parochialism and 'look at us, we exist too' attitude, which there is no cure.

Lol minnows.

Gotta love rovers fans.

Lol minnows.

Gotta love rovers fans.

While my tongue was partially in my hooped cheek, the point stands.

That team was picked by a panel of neutrals. While Rogers had a decent season, he wasn't the best keeper in the league. Mannus got into the PFAI team and nominiated in the main player category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

stovelid wrote: »
    but he's the best shot stopper in the league, bar none.

Surely Kelly from Sligo?

In fairness Mannus has improved a lot this year and Rovers fans have eased off him a bit.

Surely Kelly from Sligo?

Can't take it away from Kelly on Sunday but the penalties were brutal in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Surely Kelly from Sligo?

In fairness Mannus has improved a lot this year and Rovers fans have eased off him a bit.

SRFC fans (the good few I'd know) wouldn't rate Kelly as a particularly good keeper. He's always liable to a blunder or two - shocking under the cross. Dickie Brush is a FAR better keeper than Kelly. Taking nothing away from what he did, and what he did was monumental but I wouldn't have Kelly in the top 6 or 7 keepers in the league.

I think it's a fair team overall though. Amond would've been a shoe but he left for Pacos.

Overall (and off topic) thought the show was great last night - poem thing at the end was genius. Disappointed to see it over for the off season. Ah well, might be Longford Town's year next season...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good show but still could even better.

More football and less waffle please(yes Eoin Hand, I'm talking about you). I often wonder how they fill in the hour but it goes by pretty fast.

Roddy is the star of the show in fairness to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Joey has been great for us for most of the season - the odd poor game but for the most part he's been a very positive influence

Didn't know where to put this but I enjoyed it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Great clip^

I think there'd be a few doubts about Murray at centre half for the first couple of series of games. I'd probably throw Sives in instead, despite being a big Murray fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement