Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to invest in a new tripod - Some advice on what you have please

• 16-11-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Right guys,

The time has come to invest in a new tripod. My main use will be for landscape photography

So can you recommend one that you have as there is so many out there and options available.

Budget no more than €150 i would reckon. Any advice would be appreciated.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Cheap, light, stable. Pick 2 :-)
    I have a Manfrotto which is as solid as a rock, which you could probably get for around your budget, the 190xPRO IIRC. Only thing is that it seems to normally come with a 3 way head, given a choice again I'd get a ballhead instead. I don't know what you're shooting but I presume something small and light and digital, so one of the smaller manfrotto ballheads would probably do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Manfrotto.

Manfrotto.

Manfrotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would recommend either Benbo or Uniloc tripods, though they are uncommon and require a bit of effort to hunt down and acquire. There is a Benbo Trekker on eBay that would probably suit:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BENBO-107C-TREKKER-MK3-TRIPOD-KIT-/190467277037?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item2c58bc00ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would recommend either Benbo or Uniloc tripods, though they are uncommon and require a bit of effort to hunt down and acquire. There is a Benbo Trekker on eBay that would probably suit:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BENBO-107C-TREKKER-MK3-TRIPOD-KIT-/190467277037?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item2c58bc00ed

Thanks Cnocbui, looks like it will cover all the bases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a manfrotto a friend gave me about seven or eight years ago, and haven't an issue - until recently. it's a ball head, but for some reason last weekend, the clamp on the ball wouldn't tighten enough sometimes, and my tripod got brewer's droop.
    it was already about ten years old when i got it, so it's not bad going when it lasts that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

i have a manfrotto a friend gave me about seven or eight years ago, and haven't an issue - until recently. it's a ball head, but for some reason last weekend, the clamp on the ball wouldn't tighten enough sometimes, and my tripod got brewer's droop.
    it was already about ten years old when i got it, so it's not bad going when it lasts that long.

Berminghams seem to have two options at the moment.
    http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=3894

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4012

7 or 8 years use is not bad. Served you well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    7 or 8 years use is not bad. Served you well.
    just to clarify - it's about 17 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Balfey1972 wrote: »

I have the older version of the second one there, but bear in mind that that one comes with no head, so factor in the cost of a med. ball head on top of that. The first one looks like a doozie if it's weight specs are up to what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

nothingn wrong with the ones mentioned - i got a great one from the army surplous in midleton, cork - only €39 just as good as the manfrotto that cost me 3 times that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Sorry if this is against the rules, but take it as a recommendation as much as a chance to flog some gear!

I've just upgraded from a Manfrotto 190XDB with a 486RC2 ball head to a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 468MGRC2 ballhead. The former is in perfect condition and can be had for less than your budget. About €130 and it's yours.

It's a great tripod and has served me well over the last two years, I just wanted something that would go a little taller (to save my back), and a little lower (for Macro) so the 055 was the next step up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement