Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

which console?

• 16-11-2010 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,
    I hope i'm not in the wrong place for this question but i can't seem to find a general console thread, so here goes....

I know nothing about gaming.
    But my wife and i thought that we would trade in a few hundred of my old cd's to gamestop and surprise the kids with a games console for chrimbo.
    The kids are a boy (6) and a girl (5).

From what i've read on various websites i thought the x-box with kinect would be the way to go. But my wife reckons the kids are too young and that we should get a Wii.
    To add to that, a friend of mine told me you cant beat the PS3 but someone else said that it's too male orientated.
    I'm lost!!!!
    I dont think my wife or i will be playing either console much. I've no problem with gaming at all, it's just something thats passed me by, so the focus should be purely on what's best for the kids.

I hope you guys can help us make decision.

Thanks

RH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Hi all,
    I hope i'm not in the wrong place for this question but i can't seem to find a general console thread, so here goes....

But my wife and i thought that we would trade in a few hundred of my old cd's to gamestop and surprise the kids with a games console for chrimbo.

From what i've read on various websites i thought the x-box with kinect would be the way to go. But my wife reckons the kids are too young and that we should get a Wii.
    To add to that, a friend of mine told me you cant beat the PS3 but someone else said that it's too male orientated.
    I'm lost!!!!
    I dont think my wife or i will be playing either console much. I've no problem with gaming at all, it's just something thats passed me by, so the focus should be purely on what's best for the kids.

Thanks

RH

Probably more suited to games general (better chance of getting a more unbiased opinion :D ).

For my money, I would get the wii since its just the kids playing. There will be a lot of wii games suitable for kids as well as cheap second hand games whereas the kinect is new so the choice of games is limited. The PS3 is a better media centre (blueray etc) than the other two but again the choice of games for kids is limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 russel hobb

thanks for the advice sarumite.

I've just put it in the games thread too.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

i would go with the xbox kinect there loads of games for kids since the kinect came out and it better than the wii u can have family setting ect u dont need to buy extra controls for the kinect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 AlphaBeagle

Hi all,

I'm lost!!!!

Thanks

RH

For young kids I'd recommend Wii console coz of games for that age group tend to be more plentiful and it's more suited for engaging the wider family in video games even if they haven't played before. well thats what i found anyway.
    Plus it's easier on the auld pocket too. good luck with ur decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 russel hobb

thanks for the advice all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

Xbox all the way its only going 2 get better and the kinect is the same as Wii there will be enough game 4 now and more and better ones later on. I bought the kids the Wii and it was great but last Xmas the xbox Came into the house just much better in my opinion. The Wii is just lying there a waste now

Advertisement