Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tynan's Bridge House Bar Kilkenny

Options
  • 16-11-2010 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I notice a closure order from the fire department on the windows of Tynan's pub in Kilkenny. Says they are closing this Friday. Hope it's not for good! Anyone know more about this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Your post is the first I have heard about this. Usually the fire brigade will issue a list of work to be done in order to comply with regulations, once these jobs are done the premises passes and remains open.

Odd to see it closing unless it needs some major work done. I doubt its closing for good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I have it from a reputable source that the individual who is responsible for such things is a complete spa.

A guy I know got a place shut down overnight and before he was allowed re-open he was forced to do a whole host of ridiculous stuff, like for example, he was made put a luminous fire exit sign in his bedroom (his house was attached to the place).

His own BEDROOM! FFS!

I am all for health and safety and all, but that it over the top. Hence the generally accepted diagnosis of chronic acute spastication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I've worked in Tynan's for about five years, back when they had the beer garden.

The fire department have always been haunting them about silly little things, although the only reason the garden was torn down was because of the old woman living directly behind it on Keiran's St, she was always threatening to press charges because of the noise etc, even tho whenever the bar closed we had everyone inside within 30 mins.

As for other things, I'll be honest and say that the cellar is a death trap. I remember one year in the summer you could see a noticeable dip in the floor when down in the cellar so I had to go across to Langtons and borrow two beams from the building site (building Set Theatre at the time) and use those to support the floor from the cellar.

Another time there was a sewerage leak in the cellar, but the council wouldn't let them touch the concrete floor in case of what they might "find", so there was about 3 inches of raw sewerage down there for about 2 months, we had to put planks of wood down to get around down there.

They can't do a whole lot to the pub as far as renovating it because of the protection order on it, upstairs they can do anything they want, downstairs they can't dig and out the back they can't dig either. Hence why the beer garden was about 2 foot off the ground at the time.

The owner owns the shop next door too so they might just run a fire exit out the back and through the shop next door..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    you could see a noticeable dip in the floor when down in the cellar so I had to go across to Langtons and borrow two beams from the building site (building Set Theatre at the time) and use those to support the floor from the cellar.

Do you mean that the floor of the bar was being supported by two beams? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Do you mean that the floor of the bar was being supported by two beams? :confused:

Not the whole floor, just this dip that was about 6 foot wide.

Next time your in there, put a coin on the counter just to the right of the front door and watch it roll away on you! The whole place slopes to one side!

• Advertisement

:eek:

In that case it's probably a blessing that the Fire Chief has closed it down for the time being. Having said that when the smoking area was open it was the nicest pub to sit in.

I have great difficulty in finding some place where I can take my visitors to have a drink, sit, and chat without too much difficulty in Kilkenny these days. It's a bit like being Goldilocks; the pubs are either too crowded, too noisy or too quiet. It's hard to find a nice balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

:eek:

In that case it's probably a blessing that the Fire Chief has closed it down for the time being. Having said that when the smoking area was open it was the nicest pub to sit in.

I have great difficulty in finding some place where I can take my visitors to have a drink, sit, and chat without too much difficulty in Kilkenny these days. It's a bit like being Goldilocks; the pubs are either too crowded, too noisy or too quiet. It's hard to find a nice balance.

I don't think it's closed down just yet, it's a closure notice which he has to display, and I think Liam got into a wee bit of bother for allowing smoking in the hallway on the left and this is why he he's been put under pressure.

As for a quiet drink, the Grapevine around the corner is a great spot, with both beer and wine, for something different.

I've never been there - the name registers but I can't quite place it. I'll give it a try though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186616-d523946-r85529311-Tynan_s_Bridge_House_Bar-Kilkenny_County_Kilkenny.html

Not bad going to be rated as second in attractions for Kilkenny. Always be my favourite place for a pint in Kilkenny.

Advertisement