Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuesday's Economic discussion thread (gloom inside)

• 16-11-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Ireland giving up sovereignty due to recession?
    I just heard it on the radio there. Is it true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

well considering the government brown nose the EU anyway, i dont see the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

twinytwo wrote: »
    well considering the government brown nose the EU anyway

I'm not sure about that, they've been in breach of EU Directive 2004/38/EC a good few times, and still are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was it Pull The Other One FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ireland's so sovereign we couldn't wipe our arses without foreign investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

short answer: yes.

*dons tin foil hat

lucky they got the old lisbon treaty through those sneaky german b'astards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We've been handing it over one piece at a time in referenda for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

"Do not panic"

Like wtf? Just reading the Indo there and some propaganda press release from the tentacles of Government entered my morning and made me well... think to myself who are these goons that created this mess in the first place telling me how to feel?

Ireland signed her sovereignty away in 1973.

goons?? GOONS??? you should be ashamed of yourself calling those pople by such a name!!

gombeen men is much more appropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

tl;dr

• Advertisement

Will we just re-join the UK and be done with it?

Hasn't it gone past the panic stage at this point?

Aren;t we at the go f*ck yourself stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

biko wrote: »

true that- it is only really being compounded by the fact we cant devalue our own currency and that outside pressure on the government may force them to take in the IMF.

is the money in our bank accounts safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

they dont want us. seriously. for all the crap you see posted about the brits on here the reality is they see us as nothing more than a weekend break and have absolutely no interest in us.

i think when any irish person spends a bit of time in the uk and realises this its a bit of a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

orourkeda wrote: »
    Aren;t we at the go f*ck yourself stage?

Is that Central Bank advice for taking ones mind off things?

true that- it is only really being compounded by the fact we cant devalue our own currency and that outside pressure on the government may force them to take in the IMF.

Apparently germany and france want us to take the bailout so they can force us to increase our corporation tax... something they have been after for years

raymann wrote: »
    they dont want us. seriously. for all the crap you see posted about the brits on here the reality is they see us as nothing more than a weekend break and have absolutely no interest in us.

i think when any irish person spends a bit of time in the uk and realises this its a bit of a shock.

Why should they? at the end of the day do we have interest in them?.. not really.

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Is that Central Bank advice for taking ones mind off things?

No

Apparently germany and france want us to take the bailout so they can force us to increase our corporation tax... something they have been after for years

how has it come to this. im sat here living in france. im the living example of the modern young european. if they do this though, its the one thing that would make me want to turn my back on the whole thing.

i would beg to differ...seriously, keep your head about all this s'hite and dont forget that we actually are important to the UK and they are important to us.
    British Prime Minister David Cameron said yesterday that Ireland was a key trading partner and its stability was very much in the UK’s interests.

“If you look at the Irish economy, Ireland is an enormously important trading partner with Britain. It’s a fact that we actually export more to Ireland than we do to Brazil, Russia, India and China combined,” he told the Commons.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-under-pressure-over-bailout-481948.html#ixzz15RJ9LSFF

• Advertisement

Why should they? at the end of the day do we have interest in them?.. not really.

maybe because i dont live in ireland, but especially on these boards i notice an unhealthy obsession with our neighbours, and the thing is they just dont care. its actually a little embarrassing tbh.

I've merged the Don't panic and Singing away our sovereignty threads for the craic/gloom.

I dislike how you refer to it as "Tuesday's" - does this mean we're going to have a new doom thread for each day of the week?

maybe because i dont live in ireland, but especially on these boards i notice an unhealthy obsession with our neighbours, and the thing is they just dont care. its actually a little embarrassing tbh.

ths is an economic and politics related thread - in the AH style granted. but what you believe some manchurian taxi driver thinks of the irish is irrelevant...if you believe the UK 'doesn't give a ****' in any political or economic sense please expand on that...otherwise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

didn't some german MEP from Merckels party say yesterday ,that one of the conditions of a bailout would be the removal of ireland's low corp tax.. or did i dream that and wake up screaming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

She never was very rational around her time of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I dislike how you refer to it as "Tuesday's" - does this mean we're going to have a new doom thread for each day of the week?

I would rather that than a dozen different ones each day, I welcome it.

As for a bailout, Cowen seems adamant that there will be no bailout and if it turns out there is, he knows he has lost what shred of credibility they have left.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Surely the big issue of the day is the Glazers PIK debt?
    Why are we fannying about with irish economic news? Eh, hello? Celtic tiger. Duh.

he knows he has lost what shred of credibility they have left.

somebody actually stating in AH that cowen has any credibility left:eek:

it really is freaky tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I'm looking forward to the day the man form the IMF comes strolling into this village, with his fancy French suit and his snappy German briefcase. He'll get more than a cead mile failte from me.
    Actually I think I'll write a play about it while I'm waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ewj1978 wrote: »
    didn't some german MEP from Merckels party say yesterday ,that one of the conditions of a bailout would be the removal of ireland's low corp tax.. or did i dream that and wake up screaming...

It has been mentioned more than once when Irelands bailout is mentioned. Not sure if our "assurances under lisbon2" still stand if we go to them cap in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Conan started on a dull note last night. All hope is lost...All hope is lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oooh la de da, with money in your feckin bank account.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Oooh la de da, with money in your feckin bank account.:(

agreed - posh bastard, rubbing his privilaged lifestyle in our faces :mad:

*runs off to cork to catch coffin ship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I keep mine in the credit union. At least they don't spit on it as they hand it back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

my money better be safe, i just sent about 11grand home today and I better not lose any of it.

Downside is, should we take a handout today or tomorrow the euro could and prob will decrease in value for a short while, meaning I would have gotten much more than 11k for my money.

cloneslad wrote: »
    i just sent about 11grand home today

:mad::mad::mad:

:mad::mad::mad:

Don't be too hard on him, he's probably strapped to a dialysis machine after selling both his kidneys for the money sent home.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Don't be too hard on him, he's probably strapped to a dialysis machine after selling both his kidneys for the money sent home.

tried to sell my brain too, but they said no one would want an irish one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

There's a growing market for an Irish arsehole though if your into selling one

• Advertisement

That's an offal set-back.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Good God, we're doomed!!

Before we all know it Ireland will be like Mad Max 2 with punks ruling the land slaughtering others for Petrol & Diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Eh, no.

Queenie-eye-oh is having a wedding next summer and she won't want the red-headed stepchild trampling all over her lawn in muddy boots while eating handfuls of cake and robbing all the guests' money.

"Stop pissing in the punch, Paddy. Go and hide in the cupboard..."

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Eh, no.

Queenie-eye-oh is having a wedding next summer and she won't want the red-headed stepchild trampling all over her lawn in muddy boots while eating handfuls of cake and robbing all the guests' money.

"Stop pissing in the punch, Paddy. Go and hide in the cupboard..."

lol.. Brilliant!

There's a growing market for an Irish arsehole though if your into selling one

One 'Brian Cowen' coming up for you sir!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

More it became a tradeable commodity.

Barring a few diehards, nobody had/has any problem with that concept.

It's the price we get people differ on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I'd be more worried about the selling out to Anglo, there's nothing to be got in return for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

fontanalis wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the selling out to Anglo, there's nothing to be got in return for that.
    Brian Cowen and FF managed to look like they were in control for 6 months. A price worth paying (for them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Brian Cowen and FF managed to look like they were in control for 6 months. A price worth paying (for them).

Maybe to the 25%ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Looks like a bailout is a certainty now - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-16/ireland-said-to-be-in-talks-to-receive-bailout-funds-for-government-banks.html

the conflicting reports continue though
    'There's no application for IMF or EU funds and it's not helpful to speculate.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1116/economy.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement