Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need help with my monitor please

• 16-11-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I had to buy an new monitor about a year ago and now I am worried that there is something wrong again.
    when I turn on my computer at first the monitor comes on to where I log into user account. but the mouse or keyboard doesnt work so I cant get in. Then after some time the screen goes black and I get an "no signal" message.
    I have checked all the leads etc. So ? can anyone help me. is it the monitor or what is causing the problem???
    please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Connect the monitor to another PC or laptop, which will rule in or out a problem with the monitor and cable

Assuming the monitor and cable work on another machine,

update the video drivers
    check your video card, make sure it's seated firmly

PS There may be a menu or test button on the monitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Reboot PC, turn on pc , hold down f8,use arrow keys,up,down, enter, to select safe mode, or safe mode vga mode from the menu.TRY plugging a laptop into the monitor ,does it still go blank.IT sounds like a software problem, your monitor cant stop your mouse ,keyboard from working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

That dosen't sound like a monitor problem at all. I doubt both your mouse and keyboard have broken at the same time so it's a software problem, as someone said above. I imagine the 'no signal' issue is just happening because your computer is turning off the monitor as a power saving measure (it obviously can't make the monitor turn itself off, it can shut off the signal to it.

Do you have a USB mouse and keyboard? Check that the mouse and keyboard are connected right; try plugging them in to different USB ports.

See if your computer also has old fashioned mouse and keyboard ports (they'll have little pictures of a mouse and a keyboard beside them maybe). If it does see if you can get your hands on a non-usb keyboard and mouse. Any fairly old computer might still have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

Well it seems to be the usb is the problem so pressing f8 wont work. I have tried putting them into all the usb ports but with no joy. is this a serious problem? the computer is fairly old but I am sure there is plenty life in it yet. I would be greatful for some more suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Do any other devices get detected in the USB ports, flash drives, card-readers or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I know you said you tried all of the ports but are there any at the front (if so try them, they use seperate connections to the back ones). Disconnect any other usb devices.

Can you get your hands on older keyboard / mouse with the green and purple connections.

Check your PC first to see if there are sockets before you try to track them down.

You could also try a PCI card with USB slots if you can get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is nothing wrong with your monitor op, Windows is turning off the monitor due to inactivity.

The more serious issue is why your keyboard and mouse isnt working. Hearny has give you some good advice, you should try that.

ok I have tried plugging the mouse and keyboard into the usb at the back of computer (they were in the front) but still didnt work. I also tried an old mouse (non usb type) but that maybe not working anyway.
    when I turn on computer it starts to "check file system on D type of file system NTFS" of course this may be because I cant shut down normally.
    I am running out of ideas. I would go out and buy an new mouse but the fact that both the mouse and keyboard leads me to believe that its something to do with the use slots.
    really appreciate the help and suggestions.

ok so now I am sure that its the usb ports that are the problem.. all of them. I found an old (non usb) keyboard and it works. But without an mouse I cant figure out the keystrokes I am still stuck. is there some way I can "fix" the usb ports? if I can start on "safe mode" pressing f9 right? what can I do then? will the usb fault show up?
    I know I am a bit of a dummy but I really need to get computer working again as all my work stuff is in it?
    I really appreciate any advice :-)

So you can log in to windows now?

What version of windows do you have? Does the keyboard you have working have a 'windows key' (a key to the left and maybe right too of the spacebar with the windows logo on it)? Does it have the 'application key' (the key that brings up a conext menu, like right-click on a mouse. It's icon is a box with lines and a mouse pointer highlighting one of the lines)?

• Advertisement

Its running windows xp and yes the keyboard has two window keys either side of the spacebar. also have the application key. what do I do now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gubby wrote: »
    when I turn on computer it starts to "check file system on D type of file system NTFS" of course this may be because I cant shut down normally.
    Pressing the Power button Once should start a normal shutdown. Don't hold it, don't press reset.

you want to press the windows key, then using your arrow keys, navigate through your Start menu to the run command then run devmgmt.msc. you can navigate in there with Tab (above the Caps Lock), Left Right Up and down. But basically you are looking for anything that has an exclamation point on its icon [!] that will indicate there is a problem with the hardware.

You didn't say whether you can log on or not. If you're stuck at the 'welcome screen' and can't select your account name to type in your password, press ctrl+alt+del twice and the window should change to one with a field for username and password. Type them in, using the Tab key to move between the fields.

Once you're logged in, follow the directions in the previous reply to open device manager and let us know if there are any items with '!' or Unkown Devices (marked with a yellow '?').

thanks for your paitence and after lots of false button pressing I got that list but none of them with (!) or any thing out of the order. where to now?

That's ok. I think the first thing to try is to reinstall all USB controller drivers. To do this, get back to the device manager window you've already been to (devmgmt.msc).

Scroll down to the bottom of the list (hold down the down arrow) and you should see 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'. Expand this list category by pressing the right arrow on your keyboard. There should now be a sub-list of quite a few items, some of them might be just called 'USB' and others might have more detailed names.

Remember the 'application key' I asked you to check for above? Highlight each item in the 'USB Serial Bus Controllers' sub-list in turn, and for each one press the application key and then select 'uninstall' from the menu that pops up (Press the down arrow until 'uninstall' is highlighted and then hit 'enter').

Restart your computer. Windows should automatically reinstall all the drivers you need. Then try a few USB devices to see if any of them work. Let me know how all that went for you.

Thanks again for your patience . I took Christmas off. I have got as far as that serial bus thing but can't seem to get further. When I open it I just get a box with its name. One tab general. What am I doing wrong?

I think you hit 'enter' when you had 'USB serial bus controllers' highlighted. You need to press the right arrow key on the keyboard instead. This should expand the list so that you can see all the other entries.

I have attached some images of what you should see. I'm gussing that YouShouldNotSeeThis.jpg is where you got stuck?

YouShouldSeeThis.jpg shows you what you should see after you have pressed the right arrow directional key. The last image shows the menu you'll get when you press the 'application key' after highlighting an option in the menu. Use the arrow keys to move down to 'uninstall' and hit enter. Do this for every item in the list.

Let me know how it goes.

ok I really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to try and help me with this. if you quit on my now thats ok I dont blame you :-)
    I did what you suggested, uninstalled all those things on Universal bus thingy. and they re installed when I re started the computer but still no joy with the keyboard or mouse. I have even tried restoring to an earlier time but cant seem to get to before December now. Do you have any other ideas. I guess I better get someone to look at it. will break my heart after all the help you have given me.. I have learned a lot anyway :-)

No bother, I'll keep going until I'm out of ideas. At this point, we need to try to work out whether the problem is only occurring in windows. The link below is to an image file for a liveCD (linux mint). This is basically an operating system that will run off a CD. Click on the link below and download the file (it's big so may take a while):

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.c...me-cd-i386.iso

To burn this disk image to a blank CD you can use any CD burning software. There's probably something on your computer like Roxio, you can download something free if not (go to download.com and search for 'CD burner', click 'free only' in the menu on the left). Look for the option to 'burn from image file'. Once you've done this, restart your computer with the CD in the drive and you should be prompted to boot from CD. Once it has booted, see if any of your USB devices work.

Let me know the outcome.

I downloaded this item you linked me. you are righ it took ages but eventually got to 100% but now I cant find it.. very confused! went to all downloads and cant reconise your link. should I have had the disk in before I start?

• Advertisement

Try searching your computer for 'linuxmint-10-gnome-cd-i386.iso'. If you have to download it again, make sure you select 'save' not 'open' and choose a location to save it to. Then use some CD burning software to burn a blank CD with the disk image (which is contained in the .iso file you downloaded).

ok great I have got that far and have started to download this linux mint but am a bit worried that I will lose everything on my computer. The most importaint things are my bookeeping package (Big Red Book) and some cv's and stuff. Will they all be gone. Is this new linux going to be instead of windows??

ok I have sucessfully installed that linux mint and it does seem impressive.. however, no joy with the usb ports. Do you have any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

if the pc has has ps2 input2, buy a ps2 keyboard ,and a ps2 mouse,
    see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector ,that might solve the problem.or buy a pci card with usb ports,see here,http://www.lindy.ie/usb-firewire/usb-cards/ put the ps2 units in slowly,its easy to bend the pins.
    windows has ps2 mouse,keyboard drivers built in.GO TO bios, make sure usb ports are enabled.
    you might need to install a driver for the pci card,it,ll have an install booklet,or cd readme faq,install file.

Advertisement