Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Parenting alone REALLY annoys me....

Options
  • 16-11-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It's days like today when I get SERIOUSLY p@ssed off being the single mother of a boy.

I won tickets for tomorrow's match at the Aviva - but know little or nothing about football - he however, is football MAD. So I've rang around, a few brothers, two of my friends partners...looking for a man to bring him to the match, and do you think any of them can do it...NO!! I just think a man would be able to talk to him more about the various football players etc - watching a match for an hour and a half is my idea of torture.

Anyway, I'll bring him myself and no doubt, we'll have a great time.

But there are times, like this, when I really 'get' the unfairness of him not having a male role model in his life grrrrrrrr!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sounds more like you need someone who is into soccer then a man.
    You will prolly be suprised how much your son knows already, you can ask him lots of questions and he will be no doubt pleased to be able to show of how much he knows
    and sure if something comes up that you both don't know you can look it up when you get home.

I would suggest that you both wrap up warm with scarves, hats and gloves,
    better to have them and take them off if it's too warm then be sitting there cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yeah, thanks.

We went to the Aviva before so I know about wrapping up well....

I just saw a few other posts about single parenting, and 99% of the time, I consider myself just a 'parent', and not a single one.

The gas thing is...his dad is soccer mad and will actually be at the same match, but has no contact with us....and sometimes, in situations like this, it just reminds me of how much he needs a male role model.

I contacted an organistion who run the BigBrother BigSister Programme - but he's too young, and he has to be 10 to participate in it....just having a rant today. Should be celebrating winning the tickets but there are days when my situation just really p@sses me off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I hear you. My son is turning me into a hermaphrodite. I have to build construction sites with lego and play waterguns and rugby with him.

I just saw a few other posts about single parenting, and 99% of the time, I consider myself just a 'parent', and not a single one.

The gas thing is...his dad is soccer mad and will actually be at the same match, but has no contact with us....and sometimes, in situations like this, it just reminds me of how much he needs a male role model.

Oh I can certianly understand how that can annoy.
    I contacted an organistion who run the BigBrother BigSister Programme - but he's too young, and he has to be 10 to participate in it....just having a rant today. Should be celebrating winning the tickets but there are days when my situation just really p@sses me off!!

Well get it out of your system and have a great day with your son tomorrow, who I am sure will be chuffed to be going and that you are with him so that he will be bragging to his class mates about it.

I hear you. My son is turning me into a hermaphrodite. I have to build construction sites with lego and play waterguns and rugby with him.

:confused:

I did all of that as a child and have loved the chance to do it again with my kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

While I get the wider implication of how hard things are, I would have just been delighted to have been brought to a big game like that when I was a young lad, regardless of who brought me.

OP here.

Yes, he will be over the moon, particularly as it's a school night and he'll be allowed to stay up late too!

I was just having a moan - like I said 99% of the time, I'm fine and my child is a great child.

But I'd love to get him to the match, without having the freeze the feet off myself for 2hours!!

Anyway, I'll bring him and he will be delighted, you're right of course.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    :confused:

I did all of that as a child and have loved the chance to do it again with my kids.

Im happy for you. I dont like Lego or playing rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Totally O/T but I'm convinced that if more girls played with Lego as children there'd be far more women working in tech than do currently.

OP - I'm sure if you'd had a little more notice one of the men in question would have taken him. The day before is short notice for anything these days. Even with a month or two's notice myself and my partner struggle to have a night out together due to the need for a babysitter. I think our last night out together was in May...

I only won the tickets late last night, and couldn't have given any more notice I'm afraid.

My brothers have nothing on but aren't into football either - either one of them could easily have brought him. But I won't start here about my 'family', because I will get more and more annoyed.

I have to say I disagree about the girls playing with lego though - all around me I have friends with boys and girls in the same family and the girls just don't like lego, end of!!!! I also hated it myself!

We are made differently - boys want to 'build' from a very young age, from very basic building blocks to lego star wars - it's in them. Girls want to nurture - whether it's a teddy or a barbie....perhaps it's 'society' that encourages the sexes to play with boys or girls toys. I do remember a documentary I saw once that showed that if you encouraged girls toys on boys (and vice versa) from the age they could play (about 6 months) that both sexes just liked the toys they were given, and that it was society who gave the boys the bricks, and the girls the dolls.

Anyway, was just annoyed this morning when I could get no one to go with him....thanks for advice.

• Advertisement

I know where you're coming from on the family thing... there's a great old Chinese proverb on it that goes something like:

"The devils give you your family, the Gods let you choose your friends"

And while I'm throwing out clichés, one from Sophies Choice to think about:

"Why is Lego the world's greatest toy?"
    because it can be anything a child's imagination wants it to be

Sleepy wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from on the family thing... there's a great old Chinese proverb on it that goes something like:

"The devils give you your family, the Gods let you choose your friends"

And while I'm throwing out clichés, one from Sophies Choice to think about:

"Why is Lego the world's greatest toy?"
    because it can be anything a child's imagination wants it to be

Its true Sleepy. Lego can turn into anything. I dont mind the Duplo but those teeny tiny Lego pieces that get everywhere drive me nuts.

Those pieces are precisly why lego is to good for the developement of dexteriy and the muscles which children need to develop to hold pencils as they get older.

Find you there is nothing like the pain of standing on them in your bare feet, we try to keep the lego on the table and then it all gets sweept into the tubs they live in.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Those pieces are precisly why lego is to good for the developement of dexteriy and the muscles which children need to develop to hold pencils as they get older.

Find you there is nothing like the pain of standing on them in your bare feet, we try to keep the lego on the table and then it all gets sweept into the tubs they live in.

They are also choking hazards. I got rid of all of them. Someone gave them to us and they are not recommended until well past the age a child can hold a pencil [you can use clothes pegs to get them to practise the muscles for holding pencils without risking them choking to death']

Uhm, isn't your son 3 or so metro? The tiny pieces are only in Lego sets for 4/5 and up afaik. There's a 'Basic' range which doesn't have the really small pieces to go between Duplo and the more advanced sets... There's a great set that they used to sell which you might be able to get on ebay now: a parrot with a roller that picked up all the pieces...

Or, as we do, all lego gets poured out onto a sheet to make it easy to tidy after.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Or, as we do, all lego gets poured out onto a sheet to make it easy to tidy after.

I'd completely fogotten that amazingly simple solution! Thanks for the reminder :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I will never forget carrying my 3yo boy down the stairs, & standing ( & slipping on ) a piece of lego on one of the steps. I lost my balance completely, & my son went flying. I grabbed the banister rail with one hand & reached out blindly with the other, to grab the airborne child. Miraculously I somehow managed to catch him by the ankle.

He laughed & said 'Again Daddy!!' I nearly died....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Never heard of anyone doing that before, brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

OP not being smart but ya kinda just have to suck it up i'm afraid! I bring my son to his matches and training and don't mind that coz I like football, but I'd love if his dad was around to bring him to say the cinema coz I can find that boring. At the same time I know he loves going so obviously wouldn't want him to miss out (I know you were saying that too). Yeh it can be a bit annoying sometimes but worth it. Hope ye both enjoyed the match :)

Advertisement