Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunroom Structure - Window Replacement

• 16-11-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

The wife has me looking at a house which looks cheap - mostly comestic work but there's a sunroom at the back which I understand was once a conservatory.

It has a proper roof on it now and veluxs/plastered ceiling so it appears like the roof of the conservatory was taken down properly.

Problem is that the windows all around it are in bits - and are totally not in keeping with the rest of the house - they're a cheap aluminimum profile with very thin double glazed panels - lots of discoloration, mould and the whole lot.

Does anyone have any idea how these sunrooms with glass walls are constructed - is it possible to replace the windows without taking the whole thing down - it looks to me like they must be supporting the roof.

Any thoughts welcomed before I think about getting a surveyor. Wife is very keen on the place.

And also - any idea how much it costs to have a detached house surveyed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

It is probably 2 1/2" or 3" galv pipe (vertically) welded to either 3" angle or 3-4" box iron ring beam on top of them and bolted to the lower wall/foundation.
    The window people clip a preformed plastic part over the vertical pipes and secure the window frames to this.
    I presume the windows can be changed without too much hassle so long as it is built like above, I've made up a lot of them frames in the past.

Advertisement