Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October Sun

• 16-11-2010 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I got on Abduzeedo's Daily Inspiration no. 659 a few weeks ago with this stuff, spent 2 afternoons in a forest near my parents' house and shot a combo of video and stills, comments welcome :D

http://www.chrisdidthis.com/?p=1721

IMG_1405.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

nice - particularly like the spider.

only problem for me - is it doesn't say/do anything... its a silhouette of a fern leaf or some shrubbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Go read the blog page I linked.... there's a whole series of shots + a video.

no offence but I cant be bothered reading a blog on who what where why.... I have a dislike for blogs as I consider them pointless.

There is one line of text on the blog explaining where, the rest is photos and an embedded video. And if you can't be bothered or expect me to reconstruct my entire page here then that's alright with me.

i don't expect you to do anything - you post a pic (I assume for C&C) .... I give my opinion.

I just don't want to go visit peoples websites/blogs to make them feel better about themselves.

• Advertisement

Trolls all the way down.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's right. a shot like that should stand on its own merits; if you want text explaining the shot, put it underneath the shot, not behind a link.

and for what it's worth, i don't think that's the strongest shot from the ones you *did* put on your page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have to agree with the other two. A shot should stand on its own. Why should a person have to read about the photo?

Why all the sudden hostility to me posting a link to a page where I put up a bunch of shots and a video? At least I came on here trying to contribute something rather than just hopping on to ask what's the best compact camera to get for €150, as if that's what this forum was for.

I stuck up one image on the post to try and generate a tiny smidge of extra information about what's behind the link and all I get is complaints... if I'd put a link up to a flickr page (a common enough practice) would I get the same level of hostility?

At least I put effort into designing and maintaining my own site, and put up high res, watermark-free images.

There's ****all text on my blog post, I don't expect people to read long explanations- I just give some context and let my content do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No-one has any issue with you. It's great that you came on here and that you're posting watermark free images but I don't think you came across too well:
    And if you can't be bothered or expect me to reconstruct my entire page here then that's alright with me

Not the friendliest start to posting here.

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    no offence but I cant be bothered reading a blog on who what where why.... I have a dislike for blogs as I consider them pointless.

I've been posting here for at least 18 months, and having my site called pointless wasn't the best start to a thread ever either; if you're going to post lines like that then I have to at least feign quasi-hostile nonchalance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you were given C&C on a picture you posted, and your response was to instruct PCPhoto to go read your blog.
    true, people often link to a flickr page off their photo, but it's usually so you can see a larger version.

all you could (or should) expect people to comment on is what you post to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Whoah! People are getting easily miffed today aren't they -is it a full moon?

@OP, you posted up a single image, and asked for comments. Yes you also included a link, but your original post doesn't say "more images and explanation here" or anything like that. There's no indication that the link is anything more than a link to your personal site.

People responded with the fact that they didn't think your image was very strong, and you then get very defensive and tell people to go and read your blog, and take it badly when people say they don't want to do that (bearing in mind that you didn't ask them to do it originally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i had a look at your blog and i agree with magicbastarder, this shot is nice in context with the others but on it's own for a C&C it doesn't really hold up.

i like the mood, the light & colour, but as a viewer there's nothing for me to hold onto in this shot. the fern is a little too small and is swallowed up by the rest of the darkness in the frame. perhaps that was your intention, but it doesn't hold my attention.

i like the video on your link, lots of beautiful atmosphere, feeling, wonderful light and i'm always a fan of the donnie darko soundtrack :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Please people, loose the attitude here. Nothing wrong with having a point of view but make it without being hostile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

OP, I think you should have uploaded the video (which I like) to youtube and then embed it in the post. Vimeo is good, but you can't embed directly in to posts. I'm like many others here, I like to be spoon fed the content, otherwise I won't bother arse to comment.

oshead wrote: »
    OP, I think you should have uploaded the video (which I like) to youtube and then embed it in the post.

I'd rather take my chances with Vimeo than subject my video to Youtube's compression..... 240p? Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Then I suggest maybe going to sys and putting in a request to have a Vimeo plugin installed on boards. I for one would be in favour of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

OP, I like the mood & colours of the photo above. For me though, is not one that I would frame & hang up - I think it needs a bit of context. Could work really well in as a triptych or collage though.

Advertisement