Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice rink?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if 7up on ice is coming to cork this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

http://www.mahonpointsc.ie/corkonice/

Mahon Point, Cork On Ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Does anyone know if 7up on ice is coming to cork this year?

I don't know if 7up on ice is but Cork on ice will be!! Except it is moving to Mahon point shopping centre this year!

The website is http://www.corkonice.com/

It runs from 19th Nov to 16th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Tankers with what I presume is dry ice pumping away all morning !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

cannot wait to go again this year! it was so much fun!!! :)

mahon point is going to be hell to get to though, traffic there is bad enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

looks like its nearly up now. in the outer car park , next to the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I saw yesterday in the actual shopping centre they were selling tickets at a reduced rate of €8. I still thought that was a bit steep!

Is this proper ice now or the artificial stuff?

ah, so it is...

"Cork on Ice is not just Ireland’s favourite ice rink it’s also the largest with over 860 square meters of real ice!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

To be fair to the proprietors of COI, they do put on a good event and it is well run.

To be fair to the proprietors of COI, they do put on a good event and it is well run.

yeah i agree its fantastic but i still noticed the prices are still a bit steep! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

14.50? they must be joking

Yeah but you can imagine what the PL insurance is like for a venture like this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

In fairness the standard of the ice is usually diabolical at these things and plastic ice skates? I can understand the insurance costs but if they had an initial layout of some good equipment and well maintained ice you'd justify the price a bit more.

Have you been to COI, sounds like you haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

This is not 7up on Ice, this is just Cork on Ice,, 7up on Ice was well better then Cork on Ice last year. heard nothing about 7up on ice yet but i would say it will be up and running.. I cant see why don't Cork have a Full time Ice Ring.. Real Ice at that how much would it cost to build a Ice Ring System.. Sure what about

Dublin have their own full time ice ring why not Cork? its about time Ireland Started moving Forward into More Sports.. thats whats wrong with this Country.. We build everything for the GAA and F**CK all for Soccer Rugby... the clubs have to do it them selfs..

Why not move into Ice Hockey, Ice Bowls (what ever you call it), Ice Skating? this what really pis*** me off about this Country.. Every Country in the EU have nearly Every Ice in a City but Ireland NOO... where living in the 1800's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Cork24 wrote: »
    This is not 7up on Ice, this is just Cork on Ice,, 7up on Ice was well better then Cork on Ice last year. heard nothing about 7up on ice yet but i would say it will be up and running.. I cant see why don't Cork have a Full time Ice Ring.. Real Ice at that how much would it cost to build a Ice Ring System.. Sure what about

Dublin have their own full time ice ring why not Cork? its about time Ireland Started moving Forward into More Sports.. thats whats wrong with this Country.. We build everything for the GAA and F**CK all for Soccer Rugby... the clubs have to do it them selfs..

Why not move into Ice Hockey, Ice Bowls (what ever you call it), Ice Skating? this what really pis*** me off about this Country.. Every Country in the EU have nearly Every Ice in a City but Ireland NOO... where living in the 1800's

I "think" there was one upstairs in North Main St Shopping Centre at one stage. I remember reading something about it but never actually clapped eyes on it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

So are they having 7up on ice or Cork on ice. Think the ice rink but Mahon Point is so stupid the place is going to be chocker bloked, It is bad enough trying to get through to any of the other places in Mahon point normally with the traffic with this twill be mayhem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

mahon point is going to be hell to get to though, traffic there is bad enough!

Traffic is total madness there, over an hour exit queue yesterday.

I've sat in 2 hour traffic jams stretcing back two or more miles. I live very close to it but you'll see me shopping Bishopstown Court on the mildy busy days.

I hardly use the tunnel anymore either becuse of the traffic queues, much faster to go into town and out the Lower Road ....

For all that, if timed right it's perhaps a perfect location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Milly33 wrote: »
    So are they having 7up on ice or Cork on ice. Think the ice rink but Mahon Point is so stupid the place is going to be chocker bloked, It is bad enough trying to get through to any of the other places in Mahon point normally with the traffic with this twill be mayhem...

Cork On Ice in Mahon Point.

7up on Ice has not been advertised [got bad press last year and was poorly supported].

Now is a good time to set up a helicopter ferry company for COI/MP you can also double it up as a medivac .... :)

I was wondering about the location of COI @ MP alright, thank you again Joe Gavin for another wonderious planning decision not to allow an exit to the Ring at the back of MP as was wanted by the developers.

Best thing to do is to park around here and walk over. At least then you're not fenced in to just one exit route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

2-for-1 voucher for Cork on Ice in the Sunday Times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Cork24 wrote: »
    This is not 7up on Ice, this is just Cork on Ice,, 7up on Ice was well better then Cork on Ice last year.

Obviously it isn't 7up on ice lol, if I am not mistaken it is usually somewhere near Barrack st but have not heard anything about it as of yet...

and last year everyone I asked about 7up on ice said it sucked big time!! (I went to cork on ice but not 7up on ice so I can't compare the two)
    Milly33 wrote: »

As per my first post in this thread Cork on ice is on in Mahon point, NOT 7up on ice.

I have not heard anything about 7up on ice going ahead yet this year however from what I heard from last year it might not go ahead...ye sucks that cork on ice is in mahon this year but at least there will be plenty of parking (not that it was ever an issue in their old venue). Shame I won't get to go this time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

7up on ice was unpopular, they went bankrupt AFAIK. A friend of mine working there last year didn't even get paid for the last few days apparently!

been to cork on ice!

it was great fun as usual! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Have you been to COI, sounds like you haven't.

Of course i have... have you ever been to a real ice rink or used skates which weren't plastic? Difference is more than a little obvious....

Plus the COI rinks are tiny, ice is so uneven and not maintained very well, they just spray it down and let it refreeze, not good.

Same as everything here really... cheapest setup with the highest prices they can get away with to make maximum profit.

Advertisement