Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda safety camera locations for GPS/Sat Nav/Smart phone etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have a sat nav with igo8 running, and I can't get the speed cameras working. I've downloaded the kmz file, tried creating the userdata folder, tried converting to upoi, dumping it in every folder that made sense, and still can't get it to show up when I manage poi's.

Can't seem to find the speed camera warning setting in the software, wonder am I missing something?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

harr wrote: »
    i have trapster on my android and it works fine but it does need more people to use it.i have placed any speed trap area close to me into it including the locations of the new speed vans.so even if one person from each county could input there locations it work 100%.

Please don't.
    I've been using trapster for a while but someone did this near me last night and when I got in the car this morning, there were warnings going off for spots that I've never seen a trap in all my years here.

Loading up the app with the spots off the Garda website is doing more harm than good. The only three locations I've ever seen traps on my trip home from work aren't there. The only locations on the garda map on the same trip are duds.
    Double fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

johndoc wrote: »
    Please don't.
    I've been using trapster for a while but someone did this near me last night and when I got in the car this morning, there were warnings going off for spots that I've never seen a trap in all my years here.

Loading up the app with the spots off the Garda website is doing more harm than good. The only three locations I've ever seen traps on my trip home from work aren't there. The only locations on the garda map on the same trip are duds.
    Double fail.
    true,i was out in the car late last night and there was warnings going off all over the place it got so bad i had to turn it off.i am in the kildare area and somebody had put put some new locations on trapster.i only put the areas i know the guards use , so the 4 areas i put in do be used for speed traps every so often.but the areas that were coming up on trapster last night were all over the place and some of them were not even on the garda website and some locations were so remote there was no way they were ever used for a speed trap,at one stage near newbridge there were 4 or more on a 2 mile stretch of road.is there any way of remove some of the more fictional spots from trapstar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doyleeamonn

Hi

You can open "GoSafe Speed Zone Map" using the ArcGIS for iOS application on your iPhone or using a web browser. This map is constructed from the published Garda .KML file.

If you do not have the ArcGIS for iOS application, you can download it for free from Apple's App Store. after it downloads hit the Find Maps button and use the Magnifying Glass Icon to search for GoSafe. Then Open the Map.

Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gerberg

does the above work for garmin? not a techie!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

harr wrote: »
    .is there any way of remove some of the more fictional spots from trapstar ?

In the settings you can filter out warnings for low confidence speed traps. This means that traps only reported by 1 or 2 people don't count.

You can also turn off warnings for "known enforcement areas" which is what the Garda maps are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If anyone has trouble with the gpx file here it is in csv form
    remember on the garmin to go into settings and proximity and enable it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Delboyeire29

How can i load the KML file onto my TOM TOM GPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If anyone has trouble with the gpx file here it is in csv form
    remember on the garmin to go into settings and proximity and enable it

Hi CathalDublin are those cameras for the whole of the Country and how do I load them into my Garmin its a Nouvi 705.

Thanks Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

MarkR wrote: »
    I have a sat nav with igo8 running, and I can't get the speed cameras working. I've downloaded the kmz file, tried creating the userdata folder, tried converting to upoi, dumping it in every folder that made sense, and still can't get it to show up when I manage poi's.

Can't seem to find the speed camera warning setting in the software, wonder am I missing something?

Thanks

Attached is speedcam text file created using the csv file posted above
    speedcam.txt

copy to speedcam folder and after restart cameras should appear
    /igo8/content/speedcam

speed cameras are all set to "0" value so not sure how that will affect things

when I tested, icons of speed cameras appear along the routes but I'm not get any warnings when I simulate a route

tool here which may convert it for other devices http://sites.google.com/site/erefhome/programi/cn-companion

edit:
    Might also need to edit sys.txt file but not really sure, maybe add:
    [warning]
    speedcam_warning=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Delboyeire29

How do i update my tom tom satnav with the speed camera locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'll feel silly if someone has already done this, and better, but here's what I'm going to try. Stop me if you know it won't work, as it will be a few days before I get to try it out.

In the gpx files, you have "tracks", which have a bunch of "track points". From what I gather, adding @100 to a name gives you a warning that it's 100kph speed limit. Adding an extension for proximity allows you to define how far away you'll be notified in meters. So I did a replace all throughout the file and added a 100kph speed limit (see caveat) after every name, and added a proximity alert of 200m for each track.
    What I think will happen is that as I approach the "track" from any direction, I'll get a warning 200m out that there's a speed limit ahead. I think.
    The caveat is that I don't know what the speed limits are for each track, but I should be able to adjust the ones I've previously passed through later. If I'm watching the road (like a good girl) I'll already know what speed zone I'm in and will know to ignore the 100 if I'm actually in an 80 zone.
    <trk>
      <name>1[COLOR=Red]@100[/COLOR]</name>
      <trkseg>
        <trkpt lat="52.265149088" lon="-9.711226301"></trkpt>
        <trkpt lat="52.26901807" lon="-9.708325649"></trkpt>
        <trkpt lat="52.269865361" lon="-9.708543058"></trkpt>
        <trkpt lat="52.272036645" lon="-9.707378888"></trkpt>
        <trkpt lat="52.272900633" lon="-9.706441663"></trkpt>
        <trkpt lat="52.275391885" lon="-9.702747853"></trkpt>
        <trkpt lat="52.277432469" lon="-9.702779861"></trkpt>
        <trkpt lat="52.279082397" lon="-9.702380941"></trkpt>
     [COLOR=Red] <extensions><gpxx:Proximity>200</gpxx:Proximity></extensions>[/COLOR]</trkseg>
    </trk>

Attached is speedcam text file created using the csv file posted above
    speedcam.txt

copy to speedcam folder and after restart cameras should appear
    /igo8/content/speedcam

speed cameras are all set to "0" value so not sure how that will affect things

when I tested, icons of speed cameras appear along the routes but I'm not get any warnings when I simulate a route

tool here which may convert it for other devices http://sites.google.com/site/erefhome/programi/cn-companion

edit:
    Might also need to edit sys.txt file but not really sure, maybe add:
    [warning]
    speedcam_warning=1

Works for me. Just had to go to settings and warnings. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

MarkR wrote: »
    Works for me. Just had to go to settings and warnings. Thanks.

Does it give you an audible warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Hello would somebody be able to put up the file in a format or else pm me so I can download it my Garmin, I have spent the last 45 minutes trying to do it changing file extensions and everything else suggested on the page, but I still get the same warning There are no files in the directory etc etc, Thank you in advance :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Does it give you an audible warning?

Yep. Scared the bejesus out of me. Wasn't expecting it. You can choose whether alarm will only sound when you are speeding, or all the time as you come to the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

OK guys, a few points.

Myself and C4Kid had a big discussion about this last week.

I view it this way.

1. The file downloaded from the Garda website is essentially useless as it only gives one point for each stretch of road being covered by the speed camera vans. A warning could come up on your sat nav eventhough the van might be 5 miles down the road.

2. THe only way to work this (until verifiable camera locations come in) is to mark both the start of the area and the end of the area as a POI giving necessary information wether you are entering a zone or exiting a zone.

I have done this for all of Cork city and part of the county. I did it for my Garmin which uses a simple Csv file which can be done up in excel.

To make it, open excel, enter longtitude in column A, latitude in column B and the warning message in Column C.

Anyways, take a look at my file. I've marked the start and end of these zones. My message will say (Heading north). This means that if you are heading north, you are entering the zone. If you are heading south, you will understand this to mean you are exiting the zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Downloaded IrishSpeedtraps to try on iPhone . Free for now so Thanks to IST . Any user comments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Spinnaker wrote: »
    Downloaded IrishSpeedtraps to try on iPhone . Free for now so Thanks to IST . Any user comments ?

Very unlikely to be updated at the moment for the new speed trap locations as people don't know the exact locations yet where the vans will be parking until enough observations come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Very unlikely to be updated at the moment for the new speed trap locations as people don't know the exact locations yet where the vans will be parking until enough observations come in.
    App is beautifully simple to use and contribute LIVE info. Let's all make it work, community-style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Deckstunt I downloaded the zipped gpx and extracted the files and tried to open it before transfering it to my Garmin 760,no luck.Forgive my ignorance but I am not as technologically as savy as your goodself.Can you advise me what to do?Ditto that html link for the Garda Google Earth,could'nt navigate it or find the 3D imagery in relation to the speed cameras?
    Selig:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 waywardchild

Deckstunt I downloaded the KML file and converted it to GPX and uploaded 515 POIs to mygarmin thanks for the info looking forward to trying it out tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What about the speed camera locations that are available to download for a fee on www.garmin.ie will they have the new speed trap locations in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DocMcC

North Cork wrote: »
    Hello would somebody be able to put up the file in a format or else pm me so I can download it my Garmin, I have spent the last 45 minutes trying to do it changing file extensions and everything else suggested on the page, but I still get the same warning There are no files in the directory etc etc, Thank you in advance :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

I have uploaded 2 forms, first has just the start and end points (1030 POIS) of the sections of road (in GPI and CSV formats) the second (poi.zip) covers the full length of the section (5000 POIs). The latter should in theory alert you if you come into a section in the middle e.g. from a side road.

Garmin Speed Cameras 40kmh (2).zip

Detailed Garda Poi.zip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

DocMcC wrote: »
    I have uploaded 2 forms, first has just the start and end points (1030 POIS) of the sections of road (in GPI and CSV formats) the second (poi.zip) covers the full length of the section (5000 POIs). The latter should in theory alert you if you come into a section in the middle e.g. from a side road.

Garmin Speed Cameras 40kmh (2).zip

Detailed Garda Poi.zip

Thanks for the file DocMcC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

Has anyone got any app for OVI maps for use on a Nokia? Thanks

Advertisement