Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning up old bath

• 16-11-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi All
    I've just spent the weekend re-decorating the bathroom and everything looks super clean and fresh, except for my old enamelled bath. It's fairly badly stained (I live in a hardwater/limestone area) and not really responding to a good scrub. I use those metal things to stop hair and stuff going down the drain and they have left rusty marks around the plughole aswell. I can't afford to have it re-enamelled but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to bring a bit of life back to it (and to myself while we're at it :D). Any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

The product I used was Hagesan Blue , which I found in Supervalu.
    I used it for rusty stains and used it in a strong solution (it said 1 in 10 but I kept strengthening it until it was efective) .
    I used strong rubber gloves and an abrasive (not metal) green Killeen pad.
    I didn't allow the solution to steep but kept rubbing and then I rinced it clean.
    My bathtub is cast iron and pretty ancient but it now looks shiny white.
    I can't vouch for the surface not having been slightly roughened by the treatment but I think that is no big deal.
    Also I am not sure about limescale deposits as I don't think my water is very hard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

geordief wrote: »
    The product I used was Hagesan Blue , which I found in Supervalu.
    I used it for rusty stains and used it in a strong solution (it said 1 in 10 but I kept strengthening it until it was efective) .
    I used strong rubber gloves and an abrasive (not metal) green Killeen pad.
    I didn't allow the solution to steep but kept rubbing and then I rinced it clean.
    My bathtub is cast iron and pretty ancient but it now looks shiny white.
    I can't vouch for the surface not having been slightly roughened by the treatment but I think that is no big deal.
    Also I am not sure about limescale deposits as I don't think my water is very hard..

That's brilliant geordief, I'll definitely give it a go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

I used toilet cleaner to clean limescale off a plastic bath & around the taps on an bathroom sink. it worked brilliantly. I'm guessing if its safe to use on toilet you could try it on the bath. There is a Harpic one in a black bottle thats good & Lidl do one thats blue in a see through bottle that brilliant. Try some on a cloth or green scrubber & rinse well when finished. Dont leave it to soak in for long around the taps or stopper as I slightly stained mine when I left it overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont know the answer but i do know what not to use.

Do not use toilet cleaner. It can stain the bath

Do not use jif/cream cleaner however if you must make sure its white.

Do not use bleach.

I would start with vinager and water. Make sure its clear vinager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

thanks everybody, all suggestions gratefully accepted. I'll start off with the vinegar and water and see how I get on. I hate using chemicals unless I have to. You all seem to agree that there's more scrubbing involved anyway! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement