Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to apply as a mature student for Secondary Teaching where to start?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Where to start , is it a BA in Humanities i need ? Its all so confusing an not straight forward. Say i want to teach History and English, what course do i need ? How many years to qualify ? I read 3 years but I'm not sure if thats right , only 3 years to be a qualified secondary school teacher ?? I would really appreciate some help I'm totally lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Little Fairy

In order to be an English and History teacher, you will need to do a Degree in the 2 subjects usually an arts degree or a humanities degree. Before starting the Degree check on the teaching council website to see if the degree is recogonised for both subjects. Once you have the degree completed you will then need to do the one year post grad (PGDE) to become a secondary school teacher.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please please please check out the job situation first. I can't remember when someone in our school last got a full hours job, so be prepared for a number of years subbing and/or on small hours.

Then, if you still want to do it, get a degree in English and History and following that, apply for the PGDE.

There is a lot of competition for places on the PGDE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

spurious wrote: »
    Please please please check out the job situation first. I can't remember when someone in our school last got a full hours job, so be prepared for a number of years subbing and/or on small hours.

Then, if you still want to do it, get a degree in English and History and following that, apply for the PGDE.

Know anything about the UK PGCE? I want to do Maths. How is the Job market for Maths teachers in Britain?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

spurious wrote: »

And also, going by previous threads here, English and History is the most common combo.

Advertisement