Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast broadband install in South Dublin

• 16-11-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for opinions here on what company to go with. I'm moving into a new place soon and want a good broadband connection but I also don't want to have to wait ages for it to be installed.

Now, the place I am moving into is wired for UPC (don't think it's actually connected right now though). I have used them before when they were NTL so I know about their lack of customer service and long hold times but the connection was pretty reliable so I would consider them. Has anyone got an install from them recently who could tell me how long it took to set up?

Another option I was considering is going for one of the mobile broadband options but I have never used one so any advice would be appreciated there.

Just to give you an idea of the connection / usage I am after, I don't tend to play games so the ping times (or whatever you call it) would not be so important but I need a connection fast enough to stream the likes of RTE Player well. Upload speed is not so important to me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice here :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You definitely don't want to go with any of the mobile internet crowd, you will barely have the bandwidth to steam video content and it won't take much to put you over their bandwidth limits (and they will then charge you an arm and a leg).

I don't know if UPC are different in Cork (Chorus vs NTL) but I've found their install time to be very quick (about 3 days) and the service to be reliable. Definitely my vote if you have that option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Another option I was considering is going for one of the mobile broadband options but I have never used one so any advice would be appreciated there.

Whatever you do don't go with mobile midband if you can get any fixed line (cable) broadband. Mobile midband is fine if it's used for what it was designed for mobility on the go but to use it as a replacement for real broadband is a bad idea.

Advertisement