Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate office jobs

Options
  • 16-11-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi All,

I graduated in May with a 2.1 computer science degree and have since been working as an application developer in a Dublin office. I have discovered I hate office work, hate sitting there, hate the work, hate meetings etc. would prefer something out and about! Would prefer to be happy than slog it out in a average office job. Thinking of a completely different career path.

Any advice people?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

do you like programming at all? like when you were doing your college projects was that enjoyable for you?

anyways, I dunno, greenskeeper? landscape gardener? lumberjack?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Thanks,

Yea i liked programming ok in college but thats only because I could do it when I wanted, Not for 8 hours a day in the one seat. So I plan on having it as a hobby/small freelancing. Just want to get into something else.

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

can you minimise the annoyance of the office job in anyway?

i find taking a late lunch and then getting out of the office on my lunch break makes the day so much easier. by taking a late lunch it means i only have 2 hours to do when i get back and by going out for lunch i get some fresh air which clears the head out.

is flexi time a possibility?

it is a bit of a shock coming from college into a more regimented daytime schedule thats for sure maybe give it time and see if you can eliminate the thinsg youo dislike most.

other than that start thinking about what you would most like to do and then more importantly how do you get it

also you hate the work maybe a change of job in the same area mighten be a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Truck wrote: »
    Hi All,

I graduated in May with a 2.1 computer science degree and have since been working as an application developer in a Dublin office. I have discovered I hate office work, hate sitting there, hate the work, hate meetings etc. would prefer something out and about! Would prefer to be happy than slog it out in a average office job. Thinking of a completely different career path.

Any advice people?

Thanks.

Would you consider getting a job as a 'remotee' as we call them. Basically you work from home, and not in an office.

I used to hate office work, but it turns out I just hate micro-management. I'm now in a role where it does not matter if I come in at 8 or 8.15, or even 10.15 so long as I am in the so called 'core' hours. Outside of the core hours I can feck off home and work from my couch if I want to.

I really cant see someone getting a 2.1 in CS who doesn't like it. I think its more the sat in the chair for 8 hours you are not liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

syklops wrote: »
    Would you consider getting a job as a 'remotee' as we call them. Basically you work from home, and not in an office.

+1, it's a great suggestion. It's not very easy to achieve, but it's worth trying (and insisting).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

daigo75 wrote: »
    +1, it's a great suggestion. It's not very easy to achieve, but it's worth trying (and insisting).

The company I work for employs programmers and allows remote work. I think the official term is 'telecommuting'. If you want, PM me your CV and I can get HR to see if you match any of our requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks,

Yea i liked programming ok in college but thats only because I could do it when I wanted, Not for 8 hours a day in the one seat. So I plan on having it as a hobby/small freelancing. Just want to get into something else.

:)

Others have suggested remote working, but I have a feeling that you won't like that either, because it would still be 8 hours/day in one seat, even though you choose which 8 hours (to some extent).

In the current climate, you should look for anything else that you can possibly get a job in.

You will be bored in the type of jobs you can get without a qual (except perhaps retail management, where you simply have to work very hard). However I wouldn't recommend retraining in anything unless you have work-experience in the field and know that you want to spend 8 hours/day doing it. You may just find that it's the 8 hours/day of having someone else control your time that you really hate, rather than the programming as such.

Meetings, politics etc are part of every job, so don't expect to escape them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Is it possible to set up your own business in any shape or form?? Freelancing or contract work or whatever the equivelent is in programming??

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Thanks for the replies, all very good suggestions worth thinking about :)

Im considering a drastic change and going down a more practical/hands on job. I've even considered doing an apprenticeship.

I'll hit a career guidance and see what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP you sound like me!! If I could go back in time i'd pack myself off to college for another few years!!! I'm 32 now and also got a 2.1 computer science. I hated programming after 4 years in college - I was good at it and always got top marks in assignments etc but knew I didn't want to do it full time. I went back to the call centre I'd been working in for the summer after my final year exams to take some time out and see what I wanted to do and a few months later was offered a job on the helpdesk..6 years later I'm the (only) sys admin. I do like the work but when there's been redundancies in the company over the years or when somebody has pi$$ed me off I've wished I'd just gone back to college and done something else when I graduated - I look up courses at least every 6 months lol! I feel like now I'm kind of stuck in this career path - any course I'd be interested in would be full time and i'm not sure if I want to go back living on a pittance and then starting at the bottom of the ladder again etc but it's always at the back of my mind. As I said I do like what i'm doing at the moment but there's no way I want to still be doing it in 30 years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

My dream is to work in a boring office environment.
    Yeah I am a bit strange, but that's how I feel.
    I did a bit of work in an office as part of a school project and I absolutely loved it. Sadly I don't have the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Hi All,

Any advice people?

Thanks.

do some electronics study..? most jobs now need c programming and the like,

you can learn verilog or vhdl quite easy if you can do c. it will still be an office job but might be a change of scene.

you could also do field work in that sector...

Advertisement