Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coaxial modems and UPC

• 16-11-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

This is kind of two questions really.

Was wondering if i was to buy a second modem, could i setup an internet connection from one of the other Digital TV multiroom points? Would it be as simple as finding a second coaxial modem and away you go?

If so, where might i find one of these modems that have a coaxial input?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

If you have a working modem, you can connect it to any coaxial outlet & it should work.
    You can buy used cable modems on ebay, but they will not work, because they will not have been provisioned & therefore will not download the cmcf they need to operate.
    You may be able to get them to work with some hackery, but they have become much more watertight over the years, so is difficult.

I am wondering why you want a second modem though? why not attach a wireless router to the modem you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You have to order a second account from UPC. They then supply a modem.

if you simply need Internet/Network at another room you need to get a Router (IF your UPC modem has 4 sockets, it is a router already) and run Cat5e cable to the other room. It's cheaper than decent coax, and bends tighter without damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

FoxT wrote: »
    You may be able to get them to work with some hackery, but they have become much more watertight over the years, so is difficult.

And such hackery will not be discussed on this forum, before anyone thinks about it.

2nd account with a new modem is how you'd do it, but only if you wanted to have two people using separate broadband connections. If it's just to share, then you can use Ethernet cables from the router, a Wifi network, etc, to share the one connection.

If distance is the issue, then you need to run an Ethernet cable, as Wifi has a limited range.

Advertisement