Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Fee

Options
  • 16-11-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Its prob too late now, but next year, could someone refuse to pay the union fee?

Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Of course you can refuse to pay. Just don't expect to get any results or credits at the end of the academic year.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah there is an opt out, based on your constitutional right to form unions.

In theory you would lose use of some facilities, but in practice I don't know if you would. (Especially if you were the only person to opt out).

I discussed this with an ex sabbat yesterday in fact, with specific reference to use of the bar if you weren't part of the union. He said that the bars are actually run by a forum committee which means you should still be alright despite opting out of the union. He also said worst case scenario you'd have to be signed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

bnt wrote: »
    Of course you can refuse to pay. Just don't expect to get any results or credits at the end of the academic year.

I said my union fee, not the registration fee.

Please read the opening post before commenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    I said my union fee, not the registration fee.

Please read the opening post before commenting.
    Please check your facts before getting snotty. If you have any outstanding balances on your account, you won't get your results. You can argue over whether the union fee should be on your account, but at this stage it is on your account, so you have to deal with the situation as it it, not as you would like it to be.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

bnt wrote: »
    Please check your facts before getting snotty. If you have any outstanding balances on your account, you won't get your results. You can argue over whether the union fee should be on your account, but at this stage it is on your account, so you have to deal with the situation as it it, not as you would like it to be.

Never said I hadnt paid it this year. So your highlighting of "is" is rather stupid and just shows you didnt read the opening post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Never said I hadnt paid it this year. So your highlighting of "is" is rather stupid and just shows you didnt read the opening post.

He clearly meant that the fee has to be paid by everybody, every year. He did not mean that you currently have an outstanding balance. That should be pretty obvious to anybody that read his post. It was a hypothetical situation where a student had not paid the amount that was mentioned in his post, not specifically your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

There's no fúcking need to get so snotty about it.

He was asking would he be able to officially opt out. Like in TCD you can officially opt out of USI membership.

Advertisement