Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER: DUBLIN : 12 MARCH 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

is there many tickets left??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Gitb1 wrote: »
    is there many tickets left??

Cageside is now sold out as far as i know, there are a few reserved knocking about with fighters and a few on TM. There are about 500 or so standard Tiered seats still available

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Can anyone shed some light on Chris Fields pulling out?just caught the end of this thread.Who's replacing him?

davmol wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on Chris Fields pulling out?just caught the end of this thread.Who's replacing him?

Chris is out due to a slipped disc, we have seen the medical cert as per his contract and are content that it is the case. We have sorted a fight for John as chief support on this show and he will fight Chris for the Title on 23rd July in NBA Dublin.

In what has been the most annoying 10 days of my time in MMA there has been quite a few changes to the card. I am just waiting for a couple of contracts coming in today and i will announce the updated card

CAGE CONTENDER WELTERWEIGHT TITLE
    Cathal Pendred (SBGi) vs Liam Shannon (PCCB)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    John Redmond (RFA) v John Shiel (SBGi)

FEATHERWEIGHT (The winner of this match will face Owen Roddy for his belt on 23rd July in Dublin)
    Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis (PBS) v Tomas Murnikas (Lucan)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Liam O Toole (Ryano) v Connor McGregor (SBGi)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Michel Xavier(TTT/PYTHAGORE) v Vlad Malko (Cork City Combat Sambo)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Michael Putlak (Antrim MMA) v Richie Ivory (Next Gen Arklow)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    IngÞór Örn Valdimarsson (Mjolnir) v Michael Kukowski (Cork City Combat Sambo)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Stevie McCombe (Ind) v Paddy Holohan (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Owen Dempsey (Next Gen) v "The Moycullen Scumbag" John Walsh (PBS)

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Ian Cleary (Primal) v Jason Pedlow (Kyoujin)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    TBC v Mark Kearns (Primal)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    Staz v Jonathan Dargan (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Damian Krawczyk (Cork City Combat Sambo) v Alan Duffy (SBGi)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Keith Coady (SBGi) v Patrick Murphy (Cork City Combat Sambo)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Alan Cocoran (Kokoro) v Barry Connolly (Spirit MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Heather (Kokoro) v Luke Cocoran (SBGi)

TEEN MATCH UP
    Sean Knox (PCCB) v Oisin Coburn (Legends)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

fightie wrote: »
    MIDDLEWEIGHT
    John Redmond (RFA) v John Shields (SBGi)

just to give people a bit of background on Mr John Michael Sheil...

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/sports/article/1203--local-character-mma-fighter-john-michael-sheil-gets-ready-to-throw-down

has been living and training in Canada the past 4yrs at http://torontobjj.com training MMA/BJJ from the start

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/John-Sheil-25792

2-0 pro in canada (working on getting the fight videos off his facebook as we speak to people can get an idea of what he's like

has been back in ireland couple of months training at SBG

works as fitness instructor in Forge Fitness Arklow

very excited about this opportunity to compete against somebody as good as john redmond.

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Liam O Toole (Ryano) v Connor McGregor (SBGi)

very interesting match up. seems like everybody pulled out on both these guys and nobody wants to fight them...so match them against each other!
    liam has excellent BJJ and conor has brilliant boxing....yes im going to say it....Striker v Grappler!! :D

Cageside is now sold out as far as i know, there are a few reserved knocking about with fighters and a few on TM. There are about 500 or so standard Tiered seats still available

Ticketmaster have 3 Cageside and 4 Reserved tickets left only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

im sorry but his "opponent" here couldnt even jab......Redmond is a different kettle of fish, im not saying that Shiel is a bad fighter, im saying Redmond is a hell of a lot better than any video iv seen your guy fight!!

Guys remember even if your club does not have fighters on the Card we still do club discounts on ticket batches of 20 or more. It's a great way to have a night out with your students and to show them the comparison between a clubs show and a Promotion. A few clubs have already taken batches so if you want to take advantage of this offer contact me asap

• Advertisement

Judomad wrote: »
    im saying Redmond is a hell of a lot better than any video iv seen your guy fight!!

my guy fought a video??
    redmond is better than the video or any video my guy has fought?

as for who's the better mma fighter i guess we'll find out march 12th :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

yes John, you being a smartarse is exactly what i wanted in response :cool: very mature i must say......you know exactly what i meant.......

you asked for some info on sheil's i replied with it, plus posted the only video i could find on youtube of him fighting...you're welcome btw

anyway hope your training is going good. you're fighting a right bulldog who's been active and is unbeaten. last time we met you were not exactly in fight shape. but i'm sure you're on top of that now and i look forward to seeing u in action in the cage...because i can promise you brian will be ripped and ready to go :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    Is "Staz" like "Cher"?

Very strong card once again. On a few notes, I think maybe Murnikas has jumped the queue a bit there in getting a title eliminator bout. There are lots of good featherweights about who've been more active. I always enjoy watching Ben Davis fight though so there's no downside there for me.

Pendred and Shannon 2. I really don't know which way to call this one. I think it could go the distance again. I gave the fight originally to Cathal, then watched a vid and shaded it to Liam. It was really tight.

I'm really looking forward to Dempsey and Walsh, and to O'Toole and McGregor. I have at least 25 cheesey lines to say about the Dempsey/Walsh bout, most of them directly from the Rocky scripts.

Anyway as always I have the best seat in the house for this and get to talk crap for it. I loved the last show in the NBA I think it's a great venue. On one note though I think the Dubs crowd should up their game a bit for this one, the Belfast crowd remain the best fight crowd in Ireland for my money and with less of them seem to create more noise. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

you asked for some info on sheil's i replied with it, plus posted the only video i could find on youtube of him fighting...you're welcome btw

anyway hope your training is going good. you're fighting a right bulldog who's been active and is unbeaten. last time we met you were not exactly in fight shape. but i'm sure you're on top of that now and i look forward to seeing u in action in the cage...because i can promise you brian will be ripped and ready to go :)

Winding up Garry is good fun isn't it? ;)

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Winding up Garry is good fun isn't it? ;)

Gary is a decent lad I'm just glad to see him back in action!!! On a side note Tim I made an offer for Gary to fight you on the Cage Contender Galway card in September, let's hope he does the business!!

Gary is a decent lad I'm just glad to see him back in action!!!
    Agreed, good to see him back alright.
    On a side note Tim I made an offer for Gary to fight you on the Cage Contender Galway card in September, let's hope he does the business!!
    Was anyone going to ask me if I wanted to do it? :eek:;)

Tim_Murphy wrote: »

Was anyone going to ask me if I wanted to do it? :eek:;)

Lol what u mean u don't want it ;)

Myself and Mr Leonard had been dealing with it before the change. But no doubt if Garys management take it I will ring u and ask the question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

Is "Staz" like "Cher"?
    lol

They were in the 1st round. This isnt pride rules. Maybe a 10-8 round woulda been justified but that would make it a draw.
    Sorry mate but if Liam had have got a 10-8 first round, Liam would have won.

judge 1 ...29-28 Liam
    judge 2....29-28 Cathal
    judge 3 ....28.5-28 Cathal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Well since you can't have a 28.5-28 score in the first place, it's pretty much a moot point.

Two judges felt Cathal won, one felt Liam won. They'll both have their chance to put it beyond doubt.

You mean at the fight before Christmas? I had other business to attend to that night, wasn’t doing too much mingling to be honest. That said, a mate of mine heard you chatting with some lad at the bar about how you had ‘unfinished business’ with the guy in the main event. I presumed you were talking about Cowzer though.
    Anyway, I’ve been nothing but polite on this thread and this is completely off topic. Best of luck in your upcoming fight dude, sounds like it should be a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

popcorn.gif

:D

popcorn.gif

:D

LOL. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

kid chaos wrote: »
    Sorry mate but if Liam had have got a 10-8 first round, Liam would have won.

judge 1 ...29-28 Liam
    judge 2....29-28 Cathal
    judge 3 ....28.5-28 Cathal

Dunno if you're tryna be funny there?

If all 3 judges scored it 10-8, 9-10, 9-10,
    How does that make shannon the winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Gary is a decent lad I'm just glad to see him back in action!!! On a side note Tim I made an offer for Gary to fight you on the Cage Contender Galway card in September, let's hope he does the business!!

Is there going to be a CC in Galway in September?

Dunno if you're tryna be funny there?

If all 3 judges scored it 10-8, 9-10, 9-10,
    How does that make shannon the winner?
    I knew I opened a can of worms.

Cathal won, they are fighting again.

EDIT. Nobody said Shannon was the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Sean Knox (PCCB) v Oisin Coburn (Legends) im looking forward to seeing this one as it is a re-match because it was a no contest the last time at battlezone when Coburn was deemed to poke knox in the eye, Coburn has bags of talent and i will take him to beat knox by rear naked choke in the second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Pity about Fields also.. was really looking forward to that one. Its a cracking card anyway :)

• Advertisement

LIGHTWEIGHT

Conor McGregor (SBGi) v Nicolas Garcia (TTT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

What happened to Martin Begley and Liam O Toole? Seems Conor is pretty unlucky! (or scary ha)

What happened to Martin Begley and Liam O Toole? Seems Conor is pretty unlucky! (or scary ha)

Martin Begley pulled out due to a broken wrist in training then Liam got injured too. Lol looks like Conor really is " Notorious" :)

Martin Begley pulled out due to a broken wrist in training

Did this just happen today? OMMAC still have Martin listed as fighting this Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Clive wrote: »
    Did this just happen today? OMMAC still have Martin listed as fighting this Saturday.

Conor said it to me a few weeks ago so maybe they just havent updated?

They posted an updated card today and he's still on it - maybe it's just a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

LIGHTWEIGHT
    TBC v Mark Kearns (Primal)

Any word on this fight yet fightie?

Has Mark got an opponent yet?

Less than a week to go guys!!!!

There will only be a limited walk up of 200 available for this event, we had 275 or so at the last Dublin event. There are still a few tickets knocking about with fighters and a few at Ticketmaster.

Fridays weigh ins and press conference are open to the public so feel free to come over to the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel if you want. It all kicks off at 3pm

Clive wrote: »

I seen on Cage Warriors forum that Begley did fight on OMMAC and lost TKO round 1

Hopefull this will be the final fight card :D Running from the bottom to top!!

CAGE CONTENDER WELTERWEIGHT TITLE
    Cathal Pendred (SBGi) vs Liam Shannon (PCCB)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    John Redmond (RFA) v John Shiel (SBGi)

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis (PBS) v Tomas Murnikas (Lucan)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Nicolas Garcia (TTT/PYTHAGORE) v Connor McGregor (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Owen Dempsey (Next Gen) v "The Moycullen Scumbag" John Walsh (PBS)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Stevie McCombe (Ind) v Paddy Holohan (SBGi)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Michael Putlak (Antrim MMA) v Richie Ivory (Next Gen Arklow)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Michel Xavier(TTT/PYTHAGORE) v Vlad Malko (Cork City Combat Sambo)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    Richie Crossdale (SBGi) v Conor Cooke (Antrim MMA)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Damian Krawczyk (Cork City Combat Sambo) v Alan Duffy (SBGi)

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Ian Cleary (Primal) v Jason Pedlow (Kyoujin

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Keith Coady (SBGi) v Patrick Murphy (Cork City Combat Sambo)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Alan Cocoran (Kokoro) v Barry Connolly (Spirit MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Heather (Kokoro) v Luke Cocoran (SBGi)

TEEN MATCH UP
    Sean Knox (PCCB) v Oisin Coburn (Legends)

I seen on Cage Warriors forum that Begley did fight on OMMAC and lost TKO round 1

im sure there's good explanation for this?? how could he fight with a broken wrist?
    cant see mcgregor v begley ever happening now, they are on very different paths at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I cant wait for this! Gonna be a great night of MMA (as a great night for SBG again :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Hi,

I have been left with two spare tickets to this. They are cageside, row 2. If anybody wishes to take them off my hands then please PM me. Face Value of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

cant see mcgregor v begley ever happening now, they are on very different paths at this stage.

Why?
    They are both young active fighterz in a very small scene. Im pretty sure they will face each other some day.

Kal_El wrote: »
    Why?

here's why
    martin accepted the fight with conor
    then i get a call saying its off coz martin's wrist has been broken
    however he then accepts a fight a week earlier than the fight was due with conor
    so the broken wrist healed up? but couldnt honor his previous agreement?
    how could i agree to a match up again knowing he can at a whim decide to drop conor and look for someone else?

also martin is now 10-18 and on a 4 fight losing streak. he'd have to get a decent win or 2 before i'd be interested in looking for this match up again

here's why
    martin accepted the fight with conor
    then i get a call saying its off coz martin's wrist has been broken
    however he then accepts a fight a week earlier than the fight was due with conor
    so the broken wrist healed up? but couldnt honor his previous agreement?
    how could i agree to a match up again knowing he can at a whim decide to drop conor and look for someone else?

also martin is now 10-18 and on a 4 fight losing streak. he'd have to get a decent win or 2 before i'd be interested in looking for this match up again

Wow.:eek:
    You sound kinda annoyed about that Mr Kavanagh (i assume thats you with that screen name if not i apologise).

I didnt realise hed had so many fights either. And i could swear someone told me Begley knocked out Jason Muldoon at a show in Belfast last month. I could be wrong though.

Pity i think it would be a good fight what with both guys being predominantly strikers.

Wow.:eek:
    You sound kinda annoyed about that Mr Kavanagh.
    Wouldnt you be??

You sound kinda annoyed about that Mr Kavanagh (i assume thats you with that screen name if not i apologise).

annoyed that conor and i accepted the fight and were preparing for it only to have it dropped coz a better offer came up? imo that's very disrespectful.

I didnt realise hed had so many fights either. And i could swear someone told me Begley knocked out Jason Muldoon at a show in Belfast last month. I could be wrong though.

yes you are right, i forgot about that. i tend to go by sherdog which actually has him at 7-16 on a 5 fight losing streak.

on a side note coaches should be careful to make sure their fighters records are accurate on sherdog as this is the only resourse trusted and used by major promoters.
    Pity i think it would be a good fight what with both guys being predominantly strikers.

yes but it'll never happen now as like i said how could i agree to it knowing they might change their minds and leave conor without an opponent in the weeks leading up to it. this scene is small and us coaches that have been around a while know that contracts here dont mean anything (someones giong to court over a fighter getting paid 0-100euros or something lol) but 'word' does. trust is something built up over months/years.

no offence 'Kal' but this will be my last response to you. i dont normally talk to anonymous posters on this. i only did in this situation coz i wanted to get to the bottom of this. thats my piece said, end of.

no offence 'Kal' but this will be my last response to you. i dont normally talk to anonymous posters on this. i only did in this situation coz i wanted to get to the bottom of this. thats my piece said, end of.

None taken Mr Kavanagh. I understand completley the internet is full of anonymous people and if it annoyes you when they ask genuine questions maybe its best if you ignore them.
    Hopefully you do "get to the bottom" of the situation soon because from your posts you come accross as none too pleased.:rolleyes:

Not tryna stir this further guys just on question for John F.
    You mentioned Chris had to present a doctors note because of his cancellation due to a genuine injury. Did martin present a note or was that just a clause for title fights?

Not tryna stir this further guys just on question for John F.
    You mentioned Chris had to present a doctors note because of his cancellation due to a genuine injury. Did martin present a note or was that just a clause for title fights?

This was slightly different, on the day after his loss to Phil Mulpeter on Chaos Domz McConnell pulled. A few hours later Begley was agreed as a replacement. I have worked with both camps in the past with no problems so was happy enough to announce the fight before contracts were exchanged. Begley then pulled due to a broken wrist a few days later. As contracts had not changed hands no medical cert was required

• Advertisement
Advertisement