Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER: DUBLIN : 12 MARCH 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

hard_fist wrote: »
    what about malko vs xavier fight..?

Thats all I have from Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hard_fist

Thats all I have from Twitter.
    post if u get any news......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

As far as I know Vlad did weigh-in yesterday but I don't think he fought?? I'm sure we will find out the full results tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

Great night of fights!!!

Congrats to all fighters especially the lads from SBG!!!

Did anyone else notice the announcer call it cage warriors a few times:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Just in now, missed the one AM bus got the 3. In pen wrote up my full review which should be posted sometime before 12 tomorrow.

Big thank you to Will and Barry who helped me out, Barry who let me in his car even though i laughed at his hat and will who drove me around. Cheers lads!

Great night of fights. Son of Benajamin or whatever, I'm very tired right now . WHAT A KICK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

This was my first time seeing a mma event live, amazing night, some cracking fights. Great night for SBG, and davis' headkick ko was something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

Big announcement to be made by SBG on the nite...keep an eye on the screens...;)

Any word on what this was about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Kal_El wrote: »
    Any word on what this was about?

I'd imagine it's the opening of a gym on Dame St - are they moving from Longmile or just opening a new gym?

Great night overall, my coach Luke Corcoran won via a magic armbar in the first round so was delighted. Excellent night for SBG!

Oh not really "big news" after all then:rolleyes:

I thought Gunni had signed with the UFC or something......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Oh not really "big news" after all then:rolleyes:

I thought Gunni had signed with the UFC or something......

Well it is pretty big news, having a top club in the city centre will affect a lot of people who want to take up MMA or want to train with some of the best coaches at an easy location to get to. Hypothetically speaking, if Gunni was to sign with the UFC it would not have nearly as big an effect on the Irish MMA community (the people who attend Cage Contender). Its also big news for the people who already train with SBG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Wait..so the gym's moving or opening up a new branch?!

Well done to all the SBG lads on the night too, looks like it was a great night of fights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Richy06 wrote: »

It wasn't specified, although I think that its just another SBG because there was no mention of SBG moving, only that SBG hits the city centre and we havent been in the longmile road gym that long. Im sure it will be cleared up soon though.

Edit: Just saw on the SBG facebook that the new club on Exchequer st will be opening as an addition to the Longmile rd club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

" This is being handwritten from the comfort of Eddie Rockets on O'Connell street. I would first like to thank Will Heffernan who dropped me into town, i dislike Dublin traffic as that caused me to miss both train and the bus. I'll be getting the 3AM bus home which suits me fine, my mother however.

I could also blame cage contenders, considering they put on a card with 16 fights. The arena was nicely laid out, smaller cage but a better canvas. I was sitting at the foot of the entrance . Great view of the ring and right beside a big screen. All i was missing was a table as typing out have been easier than writing. It also seemed the scripts first album was on repeat, to ease the burden for some of us who chose MMA over their gig... Two things i noticed immediately was that Liam Shannon's corner contingency of fans was either empty or had relocated, and Coolmine BJJ have the best shirts ever.

First up was the teen match, Sean Knox vs Oisin Coburn. I'll be blunt when i was Coburn was an animal for his age. Sean looked a little nervous and rightfully so! Oisin got the early Takedown and landed some body shots. I have to say i would have liked to see more attempts at opening the guard as no head shots were allowed on the ground in this class. Second round went the same as the first with Knox giving a good account of himself in the third, yet he could not help losing by U.D

Up next was Luke "The Killer" Cocoran vs Stephen Heather. Luke got one of the biggest cheers of the night as Coolmines rendition of "Luk-ey nananananananana " made AC/DC look silly. Stephen was winning the stand up quite convincingly before Luke shot for his first TD. He had a very very slick ground game and pulled an Armbar out of nowhere. He was not taking any chances and he got the Rd1 Sub victory.

Next up was the same , in namesake only as Alan Cocoran was up against Barry Connolly. Barry was the early aggressor before Alan got him down and into Barry's half guard. He had a deep guillotine in the last 25 seconds but Barry held on. Much of the same in R2, there was a nice sweep to mount with some heavy shots landed after, Barry then gave up his back and the round finished the same as the first, Alan trying to finish off a choke. No shock in the third as Alan played it safe and controlled the fight en route to a UD.

Two strikers up next as Kris Stoklose fought Vilmars "The Animal " Erenbergs . Chris out struck him for the first round and caught a very impressive Axe kick in which he slammed Vilmars. The start of R2 and the leg kicks Vilmar were throwing echoed around, sick shots!. He took it to the ground and vicious strikes cause a TKO out of nowhere giving the "Animal" his victory.

It was nice to see Keith Coady back in action next, of course his last fight was a leave it all in the cage war with Paul Cowzer. Keith had now dropped down to C Class for this fight and was fighting Patrick Murphy. Coady didn't even throw a punch in the end. Murphy shot in and drove Coady to the cage who was already setting up a guillotine. He took a look to his corner and John Kavanagh gave him the nod, he dropped to the ground and locked in the submission. It was tightly applied and it was not long before Murphy tapped out. 1st Round submission.

Battle of the entrance music next , Shipping off to Boston vs Lose yourself. Ian Cleary vs Jason Pedlow. Cleary landed a big knee early on, took Pedlow down and gains mount easy. Unloads it all forcing Pedlow to give up back, he finished with a RNC in the first. Large fan base here for him.

Damian Krawczyk vs Alan Duffy next and Damian has a place in my heart as Rage Against The Machine blares out. Damian won the early exchanges prompting Alan to shoot for the take down. Damian gets back up with limited damage done, Second take down attempt and from my view it looked like he face planted and bust his nose. Third time lucky and he got to side control. He ended the round in control on the bottom before eating an up kick. Second round showed that Duffy would rather be on the ground , good back and forth. He had his back but Damian escaped. Duffy left his head in towards the end but showed good sub defence. The third started like the first, Damian out striking until we see the double leg take down, he showed good sub defence again, he had the back on two occasions before capitalising on the third, this time with the RNC.

Next we say "Staz" vs Jonathan Dargan, I might as well give Paddy Ivers and Will Heffernan the credit now as the both quipped in the car on the way home, he "stazzed" out. Still Dre was Staz's choice of music which i was laughing to myself for some strange reason. Dargan won the early exchanges but Staz had him up against the cage with under hooks for a large portion of the round. Big take down by Dargan but le ft his head in for a guillotine choke. Looking directly at John Kavanagh throughout it John talked him out of it slowly, as the trend with all SBG fighters is if you know how to land a perfect guillotine, you also know how to get out of it. Rd2 starts with a quick tempo and as i have written on my short hand notes " spinning back head kick wow F*CK " which Dargan landed. He landed some heavy bombs and then dropped Staz, he won the round for the kick alone. Rd3 and Staz lit up Dargan, i thought he was going to drop him here but he covered well and exploded back on his own. Dargan lost 1Pt in that round i think for holding the cage, both at this stage visible tired but Dargan tried another spinning kick. Heavy Shots from both but Dargan finds enough to land a take down and score a UD victory.

Richie Crossdale and Conor Cooke both up next, I know this may seem a bit stinging however it is easy to get complacent when in total you win 8 out of 9 fights. There's no denying a lot of the SBG guys are monsters on the ground and they usually get it there after being rocked standing up. Richie was sadly unable to bring this fight to the ground after being picked apart early in the stand up. He was in trouble with a guillotine choke in the first round and as i said before if John is your coach you can apply them expertly but also get out of them. Conor got the fight back standing and won by TKO, Richie went for a take down while rocked but he was not able to secure proper position. SBG handed their only defeat of the night here, a stunning result.

I am very supportive of Mixed Martial Arts however, the next fight highlighted a gap in the mixed aspect of it. Michael Putlak vs Richie Ivory . Richie won this fight by first round Guillotine and if i can be critical of his opponent who seemed to be primarially a stand up fighter if the thai shorts were anything to go by. He looked somewhat lost on the ground and actually gave Richie a better position during the set up of the Guillotine. Perhaps it was a lapse in concentration but i certianly was not the only person to notice it.

Paddy Holohan was up next against vet Stevie McCombe. Paddy is one of my favorite up and coming fighters in Ireland at the moment. I was sitting beside my own coach Wayne for this fight and he knows Stevie's style well. He remarked of Steve's style on the ground before watching it and saying he's setting up a guillotine and he's going to miss it so he'll try the Kimaura but he really wants the knee bar, he's very good a knee bars. Naturally this sequence happened in that order, perhaps i just need to get to more shows and do more training but that was quite impressive to watch unfold. This match was a real good ground game , paddy could not finish the RNC's attempts he had and one thing i noticed he left himself open to a foot lock in the last minute of the round as he crossed his legs when he had the back as opposed to hooks. Stevie either didn't notice or couldn't finish it as Paddy has one of the best guards in MMA perhaps he is immune to such moves! Rd 2 was much of the same and personally i had it scored at 1-1 going into the final round but i could have given it 2-0 to paddy. Round 3 , Steve takes it on striking , sub attempts and ground control. Paddy spent a lot of the round in his guard trying to throw up for arm bars and working for triangles. At the end of the fight i had it 2-1 for Paddy. So when i heard it was a UD for him i felt Steve had every right to feel a little annoyed.

Owen Dempsey vs John Walsh - John had massive support for him in this fight and showed good cage work and dirty boxing early on. He brought it to the ground and controlled it from there on before finishing off by Submission midway through RD1.

Conor McGregor vs Mike Wood. Mike took this fight on one days notice, he fights out of Roger Gracies gym in the UK. Conor came out looking stacked , a very big looking 155er. I personally think he looks a little bit like GSP myself. He is a real talent i feel and you know he loves doing what he does. He won within the first 10 seconds by stoppage. Broke Mike Woods orbital in the process, a stunning TKO victory for a guy who needs a real domestic challenge.

Benjamin Davis vs Tomas Murnikas . KO of the Night this was close to being fight of the night also, something i haven't really thought about as there was a few contenders. Tomas rocked Benjamin very very early which busted his nose. He went for a Judo throw which made Luke Cocoran a few seats ahead of me jump and say "ohhhh" however it was blocked. He took him town similarly with his second attempt and it looked like he face planted as well. This is what i think made the nose really gush blood as when they got up next Tomas was covered in his opponents blood. Yet the stunning part of the fight was Benjamin ended up winning by KO, with an amazing head kick and a clean knockout. It was the most impressive shot of the night and his flip afterwards was a 7.9 on the cool scale. He then took the post fight interview towards a post fight life story and told us all about his Mix tape he has coming out.... get out of the ring mate! I want to see Redmond and Shiel.

John Redmond vs John Shiel , Chris Fields shakes Shiel's hand before he gets into the cage and says what i can only assume is thank you for taking the fight. No doubt Redmond wanted this fight with Fields but he of course , was unable to fight. Redmond looked to be the better striker initially but Shiel's showed his kick boxing background with some nice leg kicks. I think Redmond missed a trick here, he had prepared for Fields in a bit title fight. Yet as quoted after he "rode the lightning " and went gung ho. He was fighting a guy who probably! would have gassed over 1 or 2 rounds. That's just my opinion as Shiel took the fight on two weeks notice. Shiel took him down in the first and landed some accurate elbows from side control before taking the mount and landed some laser beam strikes to Redmond which in turn caused the fight to be stopped. Possible early stoppage compared to some of the others in the night but Redmond didn't seem like he was doing much to get up.

Cathal Pendred in his best Randy Couture impression vs Liam Shannon also trying to impersonate Frank Mir.

Round one off to a flyer as Cathal rocked Liam almost instantly, first elbow landed by Shannon yet we did not see the same plethora of elbows from Shannon as we did in the first fight. A lot of Cathals GNP from half guard was going unanswered in the first round before Shannon attempted a choke. Big slam by Cathal before proceeding to take his back and finish off the round. Round 2 a lot of underhook battling and general grappling going on in this round, the most boring of the 3 sadly, Cathal 2-0.Rd 3. Cathal got a very powerful mount and be it that he was either tired or no energy left ( same thing i just needed a second idea ) his shots were landing from the mount yet they did not seem to have a lot of power behind them. The sheer amount of the shots however prompted the ref to step in and we see a TKO victory for Cathal. He is an outstanding grappler and has very good control , his striking needs more power if he needs to become a more well rounded champion. Shannon looked a bit drawn out, perhaps the cut was harder than it usually was for him.

Overall a fantastic event, I'm going to give Luke Cocoran the Sub of the night, Benjamin KO of the night and gonna stick my neck out and give joint fight of the night to Staz vs Dargan / Kris Stoklose vs Vilmars Erenbergs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Naos wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's the opening of a gym on Dame St - are they moving from Longmile or just opening a new gym?

Great night overall, my coach Luke Corcoran won via a magic armbar in the first round so was delighted. Excellent night for SBG!

are they not opening in the old INTA TaeKwonDo centre on Exchequer St ?. The INTA moved out around 5 months ago - a sign of the times with the continued growth of MMA I guess.

Great location.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Good show last night. A few good matches and a long night too. Not many went the distance which was lucky as by the time midnight came around my shirt turned into a pumpkin.

Impressed with Alan Corcoran, Ben Davis and Keith Coady in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Richy06 wrote: »

Well done to all the SBG lads on the night too, looks like it was a great night of fights!
    are they not opening in the old INTA TaeKwonDo centre on Exchequer St ?. The INTA moved out around 5 months ago - a sign of the times with the continued growth of MMA I guess.

Great location.

Lads just so ye know, I'm not in SBG (yet!) and am not even sure if that was the big announcement. I have no clue with regards to whats happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

Great performances from all my fighters, couldnt be happier with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gitb1 wrote: »
    content not found?

Should be working, although you'll have to log onto facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

content not found?

Seems to be workinfor everyone else??

tommyl2010 wrote: »
    Seems to be workinfor everyone else??

Could it be because im not your friend on fb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Could it be because im not your friend on fb?

Sorry had it set to friends of friends its fixed now for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Guys I'd like to take a second to to say a massive thank you to all who have been involved in Cage Contender 8.

Firstly thanks to the fighters, although it will sound obvious but without you there would be no show!! And equal thanks must also go to the people who prepared you for your fights, your coaches. Every time I hold an event it just reiterates to me the effort that you put in and the sheer desire you have for MMA

Thanks to Dave Jones, Peter Lavery, Dec Larkin, Conor Cassidy and Brian Adams for officiating the event so professionally and to Gillian for her efforts as time keeper.

The on screen Tv team - Stuart McQuitty, Barry Oglesby, Ian "The Machine" Freeman, Bret "Hollywood" Freeman and Katie Larmour. Thanks guys you were top drawer as always

Cheers also to the production guys, photographers and my staff backstage, they keep things running and looking good while having to deal with my OCD and sharp tounge :)

I would also like to draw special praise to our medical team. Dr Aisling Diamond and Aescu Ambulane they certainly earned their fee last nite as we had 4 fighters needing hospital attention and keeping the show running at the same time.

Thanks to the press, bloggers, boards.ie etc without who's continuing support my job of promoting would be much much more difficult

And if I've missed anyone I'm sorry and thank you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Didn’t get to see many of the fights but the show seemed to go really well. I hadn’t been to a Cage Contenders since the one ages back in Downpatrick and I have to say the professionalism was second to none, in a different league to anything else I’ve been to in Ireland, I even got the sweets I was promised by John!

Like I said, I missed most of the fights but I did get to see that sweet armbar by Luke Corcoran, very slick. Well done dude.

Good night for Point Blank, we went home with two first round stoppages against two good opponents. I love it when a plan comes together. :cool:

Oh, and sorry to the CC crew for any blood stains on the canvas, ye should have made Ben clean it up before he left the cage! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Next we say "Staz" vs Jonathan Dargan, I might as well give Paddy Ivers and Will Heffernan the credit now as the both quipped in the car on the way home, he "stazzed" out. Still Dre was Staz's choice of music which i was laughing to myself for some strange reason. Dargan won the early exchanges but Staz had him up against the cage with under hooks for a large portion of the round. Big take down by Dargan but le ft his head in for a guillotine choke. Looking directly at John Kavanagh throughout it John talked him out of it slowly, as the trend with all SBG fighters is if you know how to land a perfect guillotine, you also know how to get out of it. Rd2 starts with a quick tempo and as i have written on my short hand notes " spinning back head kick wow F*CK " which Dargan landed. He landed some heavy bombs and then dropped Staz, he won the round for the kick alone. Rd3 and Staz lit up Dargan, i thought he was going to drop him here but he covered well and exploded back on his own. Dargan lost 1Pt in that round i think for holding the cage, both at this stage visible tired but Dargan tried another spinning kick. Heavy Shots from both but Dargan finds enough to land a take down and score a UD victory
    Looks like Johnathon's TKD is a good as ever :cool: Maybe he'll be teaching that down in the former TKD club on Exchequer St !

Will it be shown on Setanta soon ?

Brilliant night of fights. Made all the better by being upgraded to cageside seats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the killing

To all the haters out there that said that Pendred didn't have a chance. I would like you all to come on here and congratulate him on a very slick performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Finally my hangover has cleared up enough to get to my laptop.
    Fantastic night of fights. Mostly impressed with Keith Coady and Ian Cleary both steam rolling their opponents. Also a massive performance from Cathal Pendred. Possible the best Ive ever seen him. Ive said before that I had yet to be excited by a Pendred fight and will gladly eat my words after that(although I did say he'd win anyway).
    As far as the afters go was an awesome night. Great to meet John himself(top guy) ben davis who I met in person for the 1st time after seeing him in action the past few years and a few other of the lads.
    Overall I cant fault the night.
    Keep it up John:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

well done to cathal, delighted for him. I guess with youth on his side and full time training he's making massive leaps in improvements on a weekly basis. Fair play to him and his team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

To all the haters out there that said that Pendred didn't have a chance. I would like you all to come on here and congratulate him on a very slick performance.

I personally thought Liam would win but am certainly not a hater, i doubt anyone hates cathal-he's a genuine nice guy and hard worker, he fought the perfect fight and did not let Liam into any groove, well done Cathal..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

HellsAngel wrote: »

Will it be shown on Setanta soon ?

I should have the TX dates over the next day or so.

Any sneeky footage online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yesiamhuge

you picked shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yesiamhuge

Finally my hangover has cleared up enough to get to my laptop.
    Fantastic night of fights. Mostly impressed with Keith Coady and Ian Cleary both steam rolling their opponents. Also a massive performance from Cathal Pendred. Possible the best Ive ever seen him. Ive said before that I had yet to be excited by a Pendred fight and will gladly eat my words after that(although I did say he'd win anyway).
    As far as the afters go was an awesome night. Great to meet John himself(top guy) ben davis who I met in person for the 1st time after seeing him in action the past few years and a few other of the lads.
    Overall I cant fault the night.
    Keep it up John:D
    u picked shannon not pendred

yesiamhuge wrote: »
    u picked shannon not pendred

Will teach me not to just copy and paste from somebody elses picks in future.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

Most mismatches of any show i've ever been at, who is the match maker?

Am i the only 1 who noticed this? Or maybe im wrong, not a fighter so just giving a fans view.

Been at all the Cage contenders and the Dublin 1 seems to be badly matched ones compared to northern ones, maybe its harder to match in Dublin.

Cody and Mcgregor where in with very easy opposition, not there fault but crowd pleasers like them need someone that can last more than a few seconds, Mcgregor should fight Davis-that would be a good fight

Venue was too hot and it went on very long, last complaint-the Lead singer's clothes have damaged my eyesight

Look forward to fight pit 2 saturday then man of war soon too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

mickoo wrote: »
    Mcgregor should fight Davis-that would be a good fight

It would, except they are in different weight categories.

McGregors next fight is at feather Mark!!

I was talking to SBG lads and they said Mcgregor can make 66kg, if so please get this on-maybe SBG lads could confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Most mismatches of any show i've ever been at, who is the match maker?

Am i the only 1 who noticed this? Or maybe im wrong, not a fighter so just giving a fans view.

Been at all the Cage contenders and the Dublin 1 seems to be badly matched ones compared to northern ones, maybe its harder to match in Dublin.

Cody and Mcgregor where in with very easy opposition, not there fault but crowd pleasers like them need someone that can last more than a few seconds, Mcgregor should fight Davis-that would be a good fight

So Coady and McGregor finish their fights quickly and you think it's a mismatch? Murphy gave Coady his neck and Coady sinched up a beautiful guillotine. Mike Wood stepped in with 1 days notice and got caught by McGregor. Hardly a mismatch but rather the 2 victors just finishing quickly.

What other fights were mismatches? I thought the match making was good and there were some great fights.

There were some impressive performances on the night and overall it was a great event. Looking forward to the next one in Belfast. The intermission entertainment was much better this time around.

My only complaint was that there was a large gap between some of the fights (excluding the intermission).

fightie wrote: »
    McGregors next fight is at feather Mark!!
    :eek:
    Thats just plain wrong. the guy is huge.

Shazbot wrote: »
    So Coady and McGregor finish their fights quickly and you think it's a mismatch? Murphy gave Coady his neck and Coady sinched up a beautiful guillotine. Mike Wood stepped in with 1 days notice and got caught by McGregor. Hardly a mismatch but rather the 2 victors just finishing quickly.

Because they where in against easy opponents, Coady has fought Pro and Boxed at a high level-he fought a 1st time Amateur who obviously was not at the last cage contender in dublin!!

Mcgregors opponent was tiny and looked lost before anything happened, if you think these where fair then we watch different MMA.

Ian cleary is a savage and was put in with another easy opponent, thats just 3, i dont remember most names so will leave it there.

Because they where in against easy opponents, Coady has fought Pro and Boxed at a high level-he fought a 1st time Amateur who obviously was not at the last cage contender in dublin!!

Mcgregors opponent was tiny and looked lost before anything happened, if you think these where fair then we watch different MMA.

Ian cleary is a savage and was put in with another easy opponent, thats just 3, i dont remember most names so will leave it there.

Coady's fight was a mismatch yes.
    Mcgregor had 6 opponent pullouts 1 of which at the weigh ins. Nobody to do with the match making can be blamed there.
    Not many people had seen Cleary fight. I saw him at Rush where he lost to Brian McNamara but he still really impressed me. I said it myself when his opponent was comin out that if this isnt one of peter's top guys he's in trouble. I think it was more just a case of being overwhelmed but a super agressive opponent than a mismatch or and easy opponent.

The McGreagor fight was in fairness a complete miss match. Even if hed have fought the french lad he was supposed to that too would have been a miss match. Conor needs to fight better opposition in Ireland. He hasnt faced any top contenders yet. Apart from Duffy and Sitenkov both of whome he lost too. There are loads of fights in Ireland for him and i dont understand why he isnt gettin matched with them.

He just faught Hugh Brady didn't he?
    He's a top ten lightweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

When is this on Setanta?

He just faught Hugh Brady didn't he?
    He's a top ten lightweight

That depends on who you ask.
    Conor and Hugh are very similar fighters. Both with a good boxing pedigree. In my opinion Conor was always winning this fight. Hes faster, Stronger and technically a better boxer than Hugh. Also its widly known that Hugh is a bit "chinny". There are lots of harder fights in Ireland than this.

That depends on who you ask.
    Conor and Hugh are very similar fighters. Both with a good boxing pedigree. In my opinion Conor was always winning this fight. Hes faster, Stronger and technically a better boxer than Hugh. Also its widly known that Hugh is a bit "chinny". There are lots of harder fights in Ireland than this.
    Fasir enough. Only seen hugh a handful of times. I see more of a problem with him at 66kg thogh. He'd catapault right to the top 5 of that division and with Paddy Houlihan and Owen Roddy already up there in the mix I see the better fights for him at 70.
    Only fight I see for him at 66 right now is Davis. Tim Murphy, Steve McCombe I dont really see lasting to long against him. Who else is left?
    At 70 theres still the likes of Parke, Duncan, maybe a rematch woth Gary Morris, and theres still a large pool of european and british fighters there which is who id say what John and himself are looking for him at 66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

There are loads of fights in Ireland for him and i dont understand why he isnt gettin matched with them.

Could you name seven good matchups for Conor then (active fighters who are in his weight class and would be willing to fight him)? Maybe promoters would take notice

Advertisement