Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Recessionomics

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

tootired wrote: »
    At least 5 meals for a family of 4
    Only if you didn't like them very much. :p ah no seriously Dunnes in town do a full salmon for €10 to €12, you'll feed four people off that, or four meals for one person. Salmon, spuds and peas, that will do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mrsmidas

When the retail therapy itch just has to be scratched, go to one of the charity shops and buy something there. I got a skirt today, new, originally from Next, for 4 euro. Smug! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

inisboffin wrote: »
    Smurfing! I love it! Know folks who do it regularly here, but hadn't heard that one. Those B*stards for putting blue dye. At least it wasn't rat poison, as a large supermarket chain in the UK did in the 80s and 90s in certain branches in London:mad:. Saw some docs on Freeganism, it takes smurfing and goes beyond too, with life choices for living and everyday things. Not for everyone;)

Staff only following orders really I suppose, as for the companies.... thats another story, I couldn't go smurfing myself though, the thought of bin juice puts me off :eek:. Worked in a shop once where there were turkeys left over on Christmas eve, the staff were allowed to buy them at a reduced price so we decided we would buy extra and give them to a charity, the strange thing was that we couldn't find a charity that would take them. A lot of shops used to give end of life products to charities but stopped due to the surge in claims against them so I guess society is a bit to blame too for its suing culture, the blue dye thing is probably a health and safety thing to deter people from doing it, as for the rat poison that is an absolute disgrace, they should have been closed down for that :mad:

Back to topic a great way of saving if you own your own house is to avail of the homeowners grant for insulation, you will reduce your oil consumption and save a serious amount of money you can apply for it here http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/homeowner/ there are also some great tips there on how to save money through energy conservation

Also if you drive in on the motorway reduce your speed form 120km/h to 100km/h to save fuel, most lower range cars will perform better at 100km/h, make sure you are in the left hand lane though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Chicken thighs are a good bit cheaper than chicken breasts, and are actually far tastier for things like currys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Don't buy chicken breasts, thighs or any of that. Buy the whole thing, wrap it in tinfoil and lump it into a tray in the over. Waaaay cheaper. While it's on put some roasties in beside it.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

As he said - buy the whole chicken! and when you've got your 3 or 4 meals out of it - Roast chicken, Chicken Curry, Chicken wraps & sandwiches, put the carcass (skin & bones & all) in a huge pot along with water, onions, carrots, a stick of celery, salt and pepper, bring it to the boil and simmer it for a couple of hours. Let it cool, skim the fat off the top, strain the liquid into freezer bag portions of about a pint each, and leave it in the freezer. Yummy chicken stock to make your soups, risotto, even cook pasta in it for extra flavour!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Catch your own wild animals for food hahaha
    Don't knock it mate! Wild rabbit stew is delicious, once you get over the messy part. In the bay you have all manner of fish and shellfish to choose from. In the river and surrounding lakes you'll find decent trout and salmon, mind your off seasons though.
    Chickens are easy enough to raise and keep, lots of free food from them.

Advertisement