Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of dog walkers

• 16-11-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Allegedly my dogs have been barking an unacceptable amount during the day. I now have a camera set and am going to talk to my immediate neighbours as soon as I can to verify the claim (It's someone living behind my house that's complained, saying that they were at the end of their tether after 2 years. Why they didn't come to me 1 year and 50 weeks ago with the problem I don't know). Anyway, if they are being too vocal I'm going to have to keep them inside during the day. They won't like it but if that's what has to be done then that's what has to be done.

While waiting to hear back from a friend about the possibility of them dropping in to let the dogs out to relieve themselves during the day I started looking at dog walkers and was stunned by the prices, about €100 per dog per week! At that price getting the dogs walked would cost nearly as much as my rent.

What's really annoying is that when I let the dogs out of the kitchen this morning a dog 4 doors down was going mental at something, as it usually is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

usually dog walkers charge by the hour, I am planning on setting up my own business in the new year doing this sort of thing and I will be charging by the hour between 10-12 euro per dog, slightly less for 2 dogs together, so unless you were getting them walked about 10 hours per week, you wouldn't be paying that much!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    usually dog walkers charge by the hour, I am planning on setting up my own business in the new year doing this sort of thing and I will be charging by the hour between 10-12 euro per dog, slightly less for 2 dogs together, so unless you were getting them walked about 10 hours per week, you wouldn't be paying that much!!
    Unfortunately 2 dogs x 5 walks = 10 hours to pay for. Most places seem to charge anywhere from €20-€30 per hour for one dog but the best I've found for 2 dogs is about €135 per week and there's no way I can afford that if I want to be able to pay bills and feed the dogs.

I can't seem to find anywhere that will drop in for 15 minutes and just let them out for a wee. I mean; I always walk them in the evenings so they have been getting an hour, and now we've added a morning walk too so they will now be getting 2 hours, per day. It's not that I need them to be walked because I can't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Try to look at: www.petsit.ie or www.ohmydog.ie, there should be plenty of choice in Dublin South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I walk 2 GSDs 3 times a week for a friend.I bring them for a walk,wash all their bowls,feed them fill up water buckets.Clean up the poop,wash down the garden.Groom them,check ears etc and play with them for a while,,,,45 euro a week.I go in at 9 and leave at 10.30

kylith wrote: »
    Unfortunately 2 dogs x 5 walks = 10 hours to pay for. Most places seem to charge anywhere from €20-€30 per hour for one dog but the best I've found for 2 dogs is about €135 per week and there's no way I can afford that if I want to be able to pay bills and feed the dogs.

I can't seem to find anywhere that will drop in for 15 minutes and just let them out for a wee. I mean; I always walk them in the evenings so they have been getting an hour, and now we've added a morning walk too so they will now be getting 2 hours, per day. It's not that I need them to be walked because I can't do it myself.

What area are ye in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

kylith wrote: »
    Most places seem to charge anywhere from €20-€30 per hour for one dog
    You should be able to get much cheaper than that! I used to charge €10-15/hour i couldnt justify charging anymore than that. Id expect to pay no more than €60 for the 2. You should be getting a combined charge for the 2.
    wrote:
    I can't seem to find anywhere that will drop in for 15 minutes and just let them out for a wee.
    It might seem like only 15 minutes to you, but it includes travelling time for the dog walker. For example, one set of dogs i used to walk would take me 20 mins to get to them and 20 mins home, not including the walk itself (which would be an hour on top). It wouldnt be worth my while doing it for a fiver for 15 mins walking tbh, not even if i lived next door. I used my own petrol to bring them to the nearest park or beach etc. cleaned them down at the end if muddy or wet, quick brush and a spritz too if needed.

micheleabc thanks for the tips.

boxerly, you're a very good friend indeed.

boxerly wrote: »
    What area are ye in?
    We're in Dublin 8, not far from James'

ahh miles away from me:) otherwise Id have offered to drop in to them x

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

wow they are expensive rates. in offaly/laois have seen advertised for €5-€7 a hr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I pay €20 per day, two days a weeks.... but he is collected at 11am, then she collects other dogs, brings them all for an hour walk up the mountains, then he's dopped back around 3pm.... so for us its work it as its half a day's outing twice a week....

i run him the other 4 nights per week..

you dont need a dog walker everyday, twice a week is fine... the dogs will just sleep the other days etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

check this out!!!!

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/48/67187148.html

€10 per hour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

cocker5 wrote: »
    check this out!!!!

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/48/67187148.html

€10 per hour :D
    Very good price. Dont forget to ask for references though seeing as you'll be giving the person access to your house when you're not there.;)

cocker5 wrote: »
    I pay €20 per day, two days a weeks.... but he is collected at 11am, then she collects other dogs, brings them all for an hour walk up the mountains, then he's dopped back around 3pm.... so for us its work it as its half a day's outing twice a week....

i run him the other 4 nights per week..

you dont need a dog walker everyday, twice a week is fine... the dogs will just sleep the other days etc..
    As I've said upthread I'm not worried about them being exercised, they get plenty of exercise. I'm not happy leaving them indoors for 8 hours while I'm at work without them getting a chance to go to the loo. I wouldn't ask a human to hold it for that long, never mind a dog.

It's not that I'm worried about them being stressed over it, they wouldn't get stressed; they'd just wee and poo all over the house. It's not so much a walker I need as a letter-outer.

Advertisement