Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat in You laugh, you Lose

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I take the lead from the recliner on this stuff.
    ****ing great mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A line or two would suffice if it adds to the thread-why don't the posters who whinge that the thread "isn't funny anymore" go find something funny to post.
    Memes have a limited shelf life so leave 'em,something new always comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ban chat, Pics only
    The mods are doing a great job on the thread imo and although it probably means more work for them I think it should stay as is.

A bit of chat can (and does) add to the thread. Keep it as is but maybe infract or ban anyone that bitches or moans without adding a picture themselves. If you disagreed with someone's viewpoint in another forum, you'd reply with a well thought-out argument of your own and so the best retort in a picture thread is to post a picture that you find funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Ban chat, Pics only
    Just keep doing what you're doing, the mods do a great job on that thread.

One-off comments on pictures don't bother me, it's only when they turn into long and pointless discussions that it gets annoying.

Pointing out that you don't find a particular image funny is unnecessary and more often than not turns into one of these pointless discussions.

A separate thread for memes, as someone above suggested, is something I wouldn't support.

I also think you should be lenient on people who repost, it's a hard thread to keep track of at times, especially if you don't check in on it for a few days. You really can't expect everyone to have read the whole thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Ban chat, Pics only
    I don't mind some chat (once it uses funny pics to respond) but the snipes detract from the fun of the thread. I love this thread and check it every day, but sometimes feel that some posts are "cool" pictures rather than funny ones (but that's a different issue).

It reminds me of the "photos that shook the world" thread which started out so amazing but ended up with posters bickering at each other over posts of football players and animals. I don't even check it anymore and I'd hate for the same thing to happen to "You laugh, you lose" as it really is a great thread that has cheered me up on many an occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Ban chat, Pics only
    Chat should be allowed as long as you post a funny pic too. It is one of the best forums on boards and is well modded so not a lot has to change really

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I don't mind some chat (once it uses funny pics to respond) but the snipes detract from the fun of the thread. I love this thread and check it every day, but sometimes feel that some posts are "cool" pictures rather than funny ones (but that's a different issue).

It reminds me of the "photos that shook the world" thread which started out so amazing but ended up with posters bickering at each other over posts of football players and animals. I don't even check it anymore and I'd hate for the same thing to happen to "You laugh, you lose" as it really is a great thread that has cheered me up on many an occasion.

I still snip any bickering posts from the photos that shook the world thread periodically. (often historically so you might not notice until you re-read) but unfortunately it's gotten to a stage where new material is thin on the ground. With a thread like you laugh you lose it doesn't have similar restrictions in that potential new material is being created at a rapid fire pace every day.
    The photos that shook the world thread has a pretty strong definition in place now from previous moderator initiatives IE The posts have to have genuinely been of importance to the world at large making it a tricky one to post in without some serious thought going into the content making bickering prevalent if unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Let people post what they like and Mod the thread less
    I voted get rid of the chat altogether. yeah some of it can be funny, but as with the pictures, it subjective. Who decideeds what the funny chat is?

Just keep it pics IMO. if i dont get a pic, i usually just scroll past it.
    A joke's not funny if you have to explain it :)

Edit: I love the thread, its the first thread i check every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Let people post what they like and Mod the thread less
    Maybe change the thread title to say 'READ RULES BEFORE POSTING' instead of 'mod note in first post. Most newcomers to the thread probably see 'mod note' and are just like whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I still snip any bickering posts from the photos that shook the world thread periodically. (often historically so you might not notice until you re-read) but unfortunately it's gotten to a stage where new material is thin on the ground. With a thread like you laugh you lose it doesn't have similar restrictions in that potential new material is being created at a rapid fire pace every day.
    The photos that shook the world thread has a pretty strong definition in place now from previous moderator initiatives IE The posts have to have genuinely been of importance to the world at large making it a tricky one to post in without some serious thought going into the content making bickering prevalent if unchecked.

Recently I have started checking the thread and removing stuff as it has been posted

The thread is great (in a very sad way mostly) and I think it is a very important thread to keep it so I have been getting rid of discussion when it goes off topic or when people post jokey replies because it isn't that sort of thread so I think any recent stuff should be ok

The problem is though it is mainly an archive now becuase most of the shocking stuff has been posted so it will only be added too as events occur so it is going to be a slow moving thread

With that in mind I might sticky it (and I don't like stickys) and clarify a few rules so that it doesn't get lost and people think to post in it when events occur
    Maybe change the thread title to say 'READ RULES BEFORE POSTING' instead of 'mod note in first post. Most newcomers to the thread probably see 'mod note' and are just like whatever?

Good idea

done :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Ban chat, Pics only
    Actually - not chat but somewhat related:

Can we have a seperate thread for all those "Forever Alone", "Angry face", "FUUU" pictures? Just to get them the 'eck out of what used to be a funny thread?

As for chat - it should be OK to comment on a picture or - using the case of the HHTP image, explain what it means.
    Nah, some of them are funny so they have their place in that thread. If you do that it creates less traffic within the thread and it'll probably slow down and die.

If you don't find it funny, don't thank it and move on to the next pic.

Too many threads means more work for the mods.

Basically, don't burn the candle at both ends.
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    In my opinion (Admin hat off)

Only chat allowed should be:
    'I don't get it'

followed by:
    'Explanation of pic'

What should definitely not be allowed:
    Moans about how a meme/picture isn't funny (humor is subjective)
    Moans about reposts
    General chat

EDIT: I can see how much snipping the mods have to do on that thread and can only say fair play to The Recliner (in particular) but all the mods who work on the thread to keep it cleaned up.
    This is what I was thinking would work. You can see how fed up the mods are when people start pulling the thread downhill with moaning and chat.

If you don't get it, say "I don't get it." If anyone else doesn't get it, thank the post that says "I don't get it." Then someone can explain it to you with a spoiler. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Ban chat, Pics only
    It looks like its all been said really, the whinging is getting outta hand tho...

Instead of thanks or the thumbs up, can the functionality of thumbs down be added?

I know its a negative thing and boards.ie may not want it, but its the next functionality on the horizon. I believe facebook would add dislike if it had the guts to weather the negative press.

reddit have been doing it for a while now and it works pretty goddamn well.
    It would make a thread self regulating imo.
    If someone posts something good it gets the attention it deserves, if its crap or a repost then it will be anti-thanked to oblivion. (kinda sounds like anti-tank. I'm off to copyright that right now)

Is it possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Panda wrote: »
    It looks like its all been said really, the whinging is getting outta hand tho...

Instead of thanks or the thumbs up, can the functionality of thumbs down be added?

I know its a negative thing and boards.ie may not want it, but its the next functionality on the horizon. I believe facebook would add dislike if it had the guts to weather the negative press.

reddit have been doing it for a while now and it works pretty goddamn well.
    It would make a thread self regulating imo.
    If someone posts something good it gets the attention it deserves, if its crap or a repost then it will be anti-thanked to oblivion. (kinda sounds like anti-tank. I'm off to copyright that right now)

Is it possible?
    it's possible i'm sure, but it would be a bit of work for the higher ups for the sake of one thread...it would be good though

Ban chat, Pics only
    Adam wrote: »
    it's possible i'm sure, but it would be a bit of work for the higher ups for the sake of one thread...it would be good though
    Well thanks can be switched off per-forum, can't it? So, what if they make a thumbs down feature, just for cool vids? As in, only switch it on in this forum.

We can be the Guinea pigs for it's potential introduction through the site. Test it out 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

that's exactly what i mean by a bit of work, it would need to be built for the site as a whole and then enabled only in cool vids, which would suck if it was scrapped, a lot of hours down the drain on development

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ban chat, Pics only
    A thumbs down button is unnecessary. If you don't like a picture, just don't thank it. No need for negativity :) Also, it could deter people from posting, for fear of receiving a sh*t load of thumbs downs.

I think the thread is great as it is, my favourite thread on boards. The memes can be hilarious and, as all memes, they eventually die out. Sure for weeks the "face replace" ones were being posted every day, now you never see them. I really don't understand why it bothers people so much when they see them. Just move onto the next pic.

Keep up the good work The Recliner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Ban chat, Pics only
    Thumbs down would be very harsh in Know Your Nerds, there's no need for it on the forum.

I voted to keep chat in thread, but hoping that people will quit the moaning as they're the ones ruining the threads! Let the memes stay where they are, if you don't like it then post something funnier. It's a fantastic thread though.

Ban chat, Pics only
    Adam wrote: »
    a lot of hours down the drain on development

I know what you mean, i wonder if someone from the Site Development forum could shed some light.
    I've done some web design but im not familiar with the inner workings of VBulletin so i'm only guessing.

Ban chat, Pics only
    Thumbs down would be very harsh in Know Your Nerds, there's no need for it on the forum.

I completely agree that its not suitable for all threads and especially not Know your Nerds or Know your Lookalikes or any threads with users photos for that matter.

Its more a case of thinking out loud i suppose.
    A thumbs down button is unnecessary. If you don't like a picture, just don't thank it. No need for negativity :) Also, it could deter people from posting, for fear of receiving a sh*t load of thumbs downs.

If it made some people think twice or even look back through the last few pages of pics at the very least then i think it would help cut out some of the mediocre stuff.

off topic question, is my sig too big? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ban chat, Pics only
    I completely agree that its not suitable for all threads and especially not Know your Nerds or Know your Lookalikes or any threads with users photos for that matter.

Its more a case of thinking out loud i suppose.

If it made some people think twice or even look back through the last few pages of pics at the very least then i think it would help cut out some of the mediocre stuff.

off topic question, is my sig too big? :p

What does it mean? :o I can't figure it out!

Edit: Just got it....duhhh!

• Advertisement

If it was implimented it would be on a forum wide basis, you can't remove if from threads, not as it currently stand anyway

The idea of a thumbs down button gets raised in Feedback every now and again and has always gotten a thumbs down from Boards

it has been likened to the karma system that is in place on other sites and was implemented here and was a massive failure due to people abusing it

In principle it is a decent idea but in practice (here anyway) it doesn't work

That aside and in as much as my opinion matter I prefer things to be about the positive than the negative where possible which is why people b!tching in thread disheartens me so much

Ban chat, Pics only
    Thumbs down on people good enough to put a pic up of themselves = a ban or infraction?

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    Thumbs down on people good enough to put a pic up of themselves = a ban or infraction?

Which creates more work and more bad feeling amongst the people banned/infracted and the people given the thumbs down

I appreciate all the suggestions but I don't see it happening

Aside from that I don't think it would be high on the list of things to do for the Developers so we should probably look at alternative more positive suggestions

I am not a fan of negativity, the thumbs up button is there, by choosing not to use it you are saying that you don't like something or don't care enough to use it, that is enough imo

Ban chat, Pics only
    it has been likened to the karma system that is in place on other sites and was implemented here and was a massive failure due to people abusing it

Ah yes, i remember it now the karma whore wars of the early to mid 2000's i kinda ignored all that as far as i can remember...
    If it cant be implemented thread by thread then it wouldnt suit.

Ban chat, Pics only
    Wait, one quick Q regarding the thread in Feedback about setting this aside from AH as a stand alone forum.

That means AH wont have a pic thread unless know yer nerds is moved?

But AH only allows youtube embedding, no pics, so, we keep it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ban chat, Pics only
    If it ain't broke, don't fit it.

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    Wait, one quick Q regarding the thread in Feedback about setting this aside from AH as a stand alone forum.

That means AH wont have a pic thread unless know yer nerds is moved?

But AH only allows youtube embedding, no pics, so, we keep it here?

I will start a seperate discussion about that feedback thread when this one finishes

Any move (and I am not sure one is needed yet) would have to be done in conjunction with the AH Mods and Admin approval so we would have to consider what if any implications a move of this forum would have for AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ban chat, Pics only
    Ahh I think the thread is grand as it is. No need to remove chat altogether. Would make the thread very sterile I think, wouldn't be any different than google images or something similar, would be very impersonal. Maybe hand out infractions to people who don't read or choose not to follow the rules listed and hit them with temp bans if they do it more than once. It happens in every other forum/thread so there is no reason it shouldn't in YLYL. The rules are right there in post one and you are told to read them in the thread title. People only have themselves to blame if they get infracted or banned for ignoring them.

Also fair play to Recliner for what he's done in the thread up to this point, must be a hassle to have to clean it up so often and I think other people might not have bothered and just banned chat straight off the bat. So cheers man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

It's pretty hard to not chat, some of these pictures invoke a bit of banter, laughs, comments, moans, etc. for e.g I am not surprised people are finding the "forever alone" one getting unfunny, and just ask (or less politely - whinge) for less of it.

Similarly, regular reposting of pictures, NSFW, happens a lot, but its pretty hard to see if one's pic has been posted before, without going through 125 LOOONG pages - hell even the last 5 pages takes a while to scan over.

I personally don't care about the chat.

It would be hard to police any change in rules which would result more work for mods.. so if you change the rules - get more mods just for this purpose. Let The_Recliner spend some more time on the recliner.

Good luck, and funny thread.......

• Advertisement

I will be closing up this thread at sometime tomorrow so last chance to get your vote and thoughts in

All comments appreciated and considered :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement