Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matty Burrows nominated for FIFA Puskas Award - goal of the year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Voted, what a goal though. Don't know how he did it (luck/skill?) but he did and it was fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

why the **** is that Siphiwe TSHABALALA goal in there???

For me it has to be:
    Giovanni VAN BRONCKHORST (NED)
    2. Linus HALLENIUS (SWE)
    3. Hamit ALTINTOP (TUR)

Anyone else think goals that involve a lot of dribbling past defenders is more poor defending than a great goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Some of those goals wont load for me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just voted for him but really that goal from Linus Hallenius deserves it, what a cracker!

keano_afc wrote: »
    Some of those goals wont load for me for some reason.
    its really slow, had to refresh most of them a few times too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Voted for Matty Burrows goal, to pull that off in the 92nd minute of the match was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

adamski8 wrote: »
    Anyone else think goals that involve a lot of dribbling past defenders is more poor defending than a great goal?

That is a pretty big statement to make. Some goals like that are poor defending. but there are many that are great pieces of skill and movement. I think they are much better than long range goals which can often (not always) come down to pure luck. They can just as easily fly into Row Z instead of the net.

Team goals with lots of passing are my favourite type of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

why the **** is that

As opposed to the 40yd screamers with the lightest balls ever used, nope not at all.

That is a pretty big statement to make. Some goals like that are poor defending. but there are many that are great pieces of skill and movement. I think they are much better than long range goals which can often (not always) come down to pure luck. They can just as easily fly into Row Z instead of the net.

Team goals with lots of passing are my favourite type of goal.
    yeah i do prefer goals with alot of passing involved beforehand but that can be bad defending also but i think when players go past 4/5 defenders it has to be bad defending or luck with that too.
    your right that shots can go into row z but the striker was obviously going for the goal and the only bad defending that can occur in that shot scenario is that there isnt a player marking him/blocking the shot.
    with dribbly goals there is a normally a few things defenders did wrong.
    Scuba Ste wrote: »
    As opposed to the 40yd screamers with the lightest balls ever used, nope not at all.
    hmmm well i dont think they have to be 40yard screamers at all. of the top 3 i picked, there was only one long range screamer!
    is there an argument for the fact that they are so light that its more likely to go firing wide? (im thinking probably not though but im not sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Dempsey wrote: »
    Voted for Matty Burrows goal, to pull that off in the 92nd minute of the match was brilliant.
    So it would've been mediocre any earlier in the match? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Cracking goal from the swede!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

yahoo_moe wrote: »

No but when you are pushing in most likely the last bit of play in a game for a goal, few players would try a spectacular effort, never mid a mid air back heal into the top corner. If he wasted his teams last chance, he would have been slagged for weeks, possibly making it on Soccer AM for doing something so stupid.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    exactly.
    the best goal shoudnt be judged on what context its in i think, same as if it was their 300th shot of the match. a great goal is a great goal no matter if it was a one off or the player scores good goals for fun.
    there is a different goal for best player etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

wtf.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why do they play Amhran na bhFiann at the start of each clip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Why do they play Amhran na bhFiann at the start of each clip?

The real question is why aren't you standing!?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

for the sheer audacity of backhealing it into the goal from that distance with that cross, i voted Matty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What does he get got winning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

mixednuts wrote: »
    What does he get got winning ?

He/She gets to go to the ceremony and pick up the trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Had Ronaldo's effort not being fcuked up by Nani/Linesman last night, would be a winner hands down and one of the best i'd ever seen!
    Burrows gets my vote though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Linus HALLENIUS (SWE) goal was the best no doubt matty burrows goal was more luck than skill while linus hallenius goal was just genius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Linus HALLENIUS (SWE) goal was the best no doubt matty burrows goal was more luck than skill while linus hallenius goal was just genius

How can you make that assertion in the first place? It's clear when you re-watch teh Burrows clip he tried to do it, and he got rewarded with a clearly superb goal and I hope he wins the trophy as it's really the best goal in that line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

karma_ wrote: »
    How can you make that assertion in the first place? It's clear when you re-watch teh Burrows clip he tried to do it, and he got rewarded with a clearly superb goal and I hope he wins the trophy as it's really the best goal in that line up.

He tried to back-heal it in the general direction of that end of the field. I think its pure luck it went into the top right corner. Nice though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Nonsense. If some pampered twat in the 'bestest league in the world (tm)' had scored that, we would never hear the end of it. Because its a domestic goal, people are talking it down.

Only in Ireland.

enda1 wrote: »
    He tried to back-heal it in the general direction of that end of the field. I think its pure luck it went into the top right corner. Nice though :cool:

Of course there was an element of luck, just like any goal, how often do you see Torres, Drogba, Rooney or Tevez blast wide, they were most certainly aiming for teh goal and in truth they miss way more than they get right, this goal was no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

karma_ wrote: »

So you are saying there was no luck in that goal, its a great goal. He tried something different and it payed off. But my opinion is that linus's goal was a hell of alot better
    Nonsense. If some pampered twat in the 'bestest league in the world (tm)' had scored that, we would never hear the end of it. Because its a domestic goal, people are talking it down.

Only in Ireland.

I couldnt give a toss who scored it. I never talked it down all i said was i dont think its the best goal in that line up my vote is for linus Hallenius even if messi himself did what burrows did i would still vote for hallenius as it is pure class

So you are saying there was no luck in that goal, its a great goal. He tried something different and it payed off. But my opinion is that linus's goal was a hell of alot better

I couldnt give a toss who scored it. I never talked it down all i said was i dont think its the best goal in that line up my vote is for linus Hallenius even if messi himself did what burrows did i would still vote for hallenius as it is pure class

You did, you dismissed Burrows goal as luck. The Hallenius goal was good, but there was of course an element to luck to it also.

Well if someone can give me a good argument against it?
    Just everytime I see a goal like that I think bad defending with 1 or more of the defenders at least.
    What's that thing I've heard a lot of commentators/people involved in the sport say, something like in training if there is an even amount of defenders and attackers with them only defending/attacking one goal that the coach would be disssapointed if they conceded any goals.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well if someone can give me a good argument against it?
    Just everytime I see a goal like that I think bad defending with 1 or more of the defenders at least.
    What's that thing I've heard a lot of commentators/people involved in the sport say, something like in training if there is an even amount of defenders and attackers with them only defending/attacking one goal that the coach would be disssapointed if they conceded any goals.

Every time I see that famous Zlatan goal for Ajax against NAC or NEC or whoever it was I always think "the defending is brutal" rather than "the attacking skill is sublime". Same with that Grafite goal from a couple of seasons back, but there are some examples where you can just see that the forward is so much in the zone that nobody on earth would be able to stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

pfff Tap-in, I've scored better.

;)

Advertisement