Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a nice cinema in city centre.

Options
  • 16-11-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Will be in Dublin for the weekend, might go to see Harry Potter movie. Is The Savoy better than Cineworld on Parnell Street? If anyone has been to both which is the nicest regarding screens and food. I read Screen 1 is the biggest, would love to see if they'll use it for Harry Potter, what are the chances do you think? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cineworld is more 'modern'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Personally, I way prefer the Savoy. There tends to be fewer annoying teenage brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Have to agree and it wins hands down on atmosphere. Saw Alice in Wonderland 3D there a while ago and really enjoyed it.
    cosmic wrote: »
    Personally, I way prefer the Savoy. There tends to be fewer annoying teenage brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Brats come in equal measures at all mainstream cinemas.

But the Savoy is definitely a better cinema.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Cineworld hands down winner for me! Good selection of food and nice bar for drinks while waiting! clean comfortable cinema, good atmosphere!

Savoy is a dump, went recently! Old uncomfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Savoy hands down for me. Cineworlds nice and all but savoy has a more cinema feel to it, Buttered popcorn ushers with flashlights showing you to your seat and the curtains closing after the credits and opening before the movie starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Would have to say Savoy also. Has a more old school, homely feel to it and I like to support our Irish screens.

If you are after the wizz-bang, lots of food and crowds experience of the modern Cineplex, then go to Cineworld (Screen 17 is actually pretty cool).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Savoy hands down for me. Cineworlds nice and all but savoy has a more cinema feel to it, Buttered popcorn ushers with flashlights showing you to your seat and the curtains closing after the credits and opening before the movie starts.
    Off topic, but... are you talking about actual butter poured on the popcorn, of "butter popcorn"? Also, is the popcorn made there (like in Vue cinema, Liffey Valley), or imported into the cinema, and put into warmers (like cineworld)?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

the_syco wrote: »
    Off topic, but... are you talking about actual butter poured on the popcorn, of "butter popcorn"? Also, is the popcorn made there (like in Vue cinema, Liffey Valley), or imported into the cinema, and put into warmers (like cineworld)?

Definitely would like popcorn made in the cinema.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭hynesie08

the_syco wrote: »

Fairly sure they ask if you want it buttered, And then put it on although i havent had it in a while. No idea if it's popped in-house (which cineworlds is by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No, they don't.

UCI are the only place that still put 'butter' on the popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Am I the only one who hates the Savoy?, It always seems rather 'grimy' and in need of a good decent spring clean. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Cineworld, simply because it has a higher number of screens and therefore a greater choice of films. The bar on the first floor is great to catch a pint before the flick.

But if you're just going to see one film (Harry Potter) then, as you say, screen one in the Savoy is pretty good. Screen 17 in Cineworld is nice and big too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Am I the only one who hates the Savoy?, It always seems rather 'grimy' and in need of a good decent spring clean. :confused:

You do know they renovated a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Yes, I've been in it a few times since, last time was July/Aug. Still could do with sprucing up, always hate when ppl suggest there. I'd rather dvd it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

We'll be in Dublin as well over the weekend and going to see Potter. We booked tickets for Saturday already (8 at Savoy I think) and they are using screen 1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes, I've been in it a few times since, last time was July/Aug. Still could do with sprucing up, always hate when ppl suggest there. I'd rather dvd it tbh.
    Maybe it's that look is what they're after? Vue, for example, has lights, wooden walls, etc. Cineworld has a lot of glass, and a good bit of steel. The Screen, well, has a small cinema type look for that's what it is. The Savoy may have a certain "look" about it that it wants to keep, as it has attracted premiers for a few movies in the past.

Advertisement