Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundings - English Poetry Book - any memories?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I work for The Northside Folklore Project in Farranferris in Cork City. We are an oral history archive, that publish a journal every year in the Spring. Please feel free to look us up at www.ucc.ie/research/nfp/index.php

This year I am doing an article on childhood memories of Soundings, the newly re-published Leaving Cert English poetry text book of the 70s/80s/90s, and the impact it had on a generation of Irish secondary students.

does this strike a cord with anyone?
    I'm looking for classroom memories, memories of studying using the book, its content, the poets, the teachers who taught it, passing the book down through generations etc. All memories, good or bad, detailed or just a simple thought are of interest to us.

So if you think you have a couple of minutes to spare, type us a few sentences and we'd love to talk to you.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Louise Aherne

Comments

Hi Louise,
    I couldn't be arsed clicking on that link to be honest :pac:

But Soundings does indeed ring a bell with me, my teacher for the Leaving Cert was a very sound chap named Mr O'Kelly, he taught me honours English for the Leaving from 96 to 99 (we did transition year, it was mandatory so a 3 year course).

I remember studying Yeats, "But fumble in a greasy till...... and add the halfpence to the pence." always stuck with me, 15 years on in post Celtic Tiger Ireland it has more meaning now than ever. I was never one for learning off the poems but did enjoy discussing them in class. One I often think of as I've grown up is Lord Tennyson's one about the Lotus Eaters, from memory I think these dudes had opted out of society and spent their time on opium, was a reference to "why should we toil" or something along those lines. Sounds like a plan now doesn't it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

The bicycles go by in twos and threes,
    There's a dance in Billy Brennan's barn to-night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What need you, being come to sense
    but fumble in a greasy til
    And add the halfpence to the pence.....

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I have to get a copy of that book, I did my Leaving Cert in 1982 - ah the memories - it's funny, as you get older you appreciate these poets so much more and only recently was discussing this with friends - and said I wish I still had my old English poetry book, as the collection of poems was brilliant. I loved English class but really wish we didn't have to disect every poem immediately - I wish we could have just enjoyed and absorbed the poem and then worried about pentameters etc. at a later date.

I recall a poem about "Rosabelle" - can't remember the exact title or the poet but I remembered she crossed the sea to her loved one and the boat sank "and each St. Claire was buried there with candle, with book and with knell" (or at least that's what I think it said) and I really want to read that poem now.

I would love to go back to those old English classes now as it was the beginning of my love for Shakespeare, Poetry and the Theatre. Thank you Ms. Murphy and Mr. Hennessy. Just wish I'd said it at the time!!!

Judes wrote: »
    Thank you Ms. Murphy and Mr. Hennessy.

CSN in Bishopstown ??

• Advertisement

Nope - Colaiste Mhuire, Crosshaven! Loved that school. Every now and then bump into old teachers and they all look so good - methinks Dorian Gray type paintings in the rafters of the Convent.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Shame they closed Farranferris - Good education which provided north side parents with a choice of schools

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Somebody mentioned to me that Soundings has been republished, Yeats, Kavanagh, Auden, and especially TS Eliot -"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled, and walk upon the beach...." - The Lovesong Of J.Afred Prufrock,

Must see if I can get a copy of Soundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thearchive

thanks all,

We are also doing work of The Cork Memory Map at the moment, which will be an interactive online audio visual tour of Cork (starting with the Northside). We are gathering information and memories in the next few months on streets, buildings and neighbourhoods in the area. If you can remember going shopping in town as a child, or the route you used travel to school etc etc, we'd love to include your memory on the map.

Would any of you be interested in a short interview with a member of The Archive staff?

Louise
    The Archive
    021 4228100
    http://www.ucc.ie/research/nfp/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

"Too whit too hoo a merry note, while greasy Joan doth keel the pot"
    That often goes through my head while doing the washing up, for the last 30 years :eek:.

Am waiting for that "mirror in february" moment to come at this stage of life.
    "Not young, and not renewable, but man".

The words from my old English teacher "Close 'em, Leave 'em, Write 'em" while floating across the room in his black cassock often pop into my head.
    Wonder if anyone recognises who I'm talking about?? ;)

Thanks for the memories OP. :D

• Advertisement

"Too whit too woo" stays in my mind too -

and I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats high o'er on vales and hills - it's just amazing the way these things stay in your mind.

Yes, have to get that book this week - forgot about it last week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Judes wrote: »
    "Too whit too woo" stays in my mind too -

and I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats high o'er -on- vales and hills - it's just amazing the way these things stay in your mind.

Yes, have to get that book this week - forgot about it last week!

Incorrect!!
    Write it out 100 times. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Was browsing in Easons when my eyes rested on the above. Talk about a Proustian experience, same cover, same feel, same smell and of course the same contents. A bit like finding an old vinyl album cover. Will buy before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Talk about a Proustian experience, same cover, same feel, same smell and of course the same contents. A bit like finding an old vinyl album cover. Will buy before Christmas.
    Same sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach thhinking about the Leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bebra

'Twas Gerard Manley Hopkins lit my spark. Our teacher was an alcoholic short-timer just counting days 'til retirement. He did bare minimum in class, and left us to our own devices which suited me fine. I prefer to interpret poetry my own way, and not the "system's" way. Didn't do me any harm, I got an A!.

Advertisement