Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding / Foldable Bike ?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Does anyone know if you can buy a Folding / Foldable Bike in Galway city? I need one that can be folded down and put in a car boot. I commute to the city, but it would be great to have transport when I get there.
    Thanks,
    39steps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kearneys' out by headford/terryland dunnes has one or two models, but you are probably better off ordering on line you will find a lot more options. have a look here; http://www.world-wheels.co.uk/bikes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Agree with brianthebard - online or outside Galway might be the best option. Would recommend a Brompton, they are expensive but are worth it. Cycleways Parnell Street in Dublin sell them. Have one 4 years now. One downside is that it took 3 months for delivery from factory to the shop. Not sure if the waiting times have changed since then. They are built to order.
    www.brompton.co.uk and http://www.cycleways.com/store/category/22/119/Folding-Bikes/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

39steps wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Does anyone know if you can buy a Folding / Foldable Bike in Galway city? I need one that can be folded down and put in a car boot. I commute to the city, but it would be great to have transport when I get there.
    Thanks,
    39steps

just get a rack for the car in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Agree with brianthebard - online or outside Galway might be the best option. Would recommend a Brompton, they are expensive but are worth it. Cycleways Parnell Street in Dublin sell them. Have one 4 years now. One downside is that it took 3 months for delivery from factory to the shop. Not sure if the waiting times have changed since then. They are built to order.
    www.brompton.co.uk and http://www.cycleways.com/store/category/22/119/Folding-Bikes/

Got a Brompton earlier in the year, having more or less given up on Galway traffic. Well pleased with it. Excellent little bike and absolutely brilliant for nipping around the town.

Yes, it can still take 3 months to get one from Cycleways in Dublin if you want to pick and choose the various options, but they do have some models in-store which can be bought and taken away.

If you are looking for a good folding bike in Galway, Nigel's Cycles on Tuam Road, near Liosban, have (I think) Dahons. They are supposed to be good.

Note: If you want to buy a decent folding bike new, bear in mind they are expensive, but the cost can be reproduced considerably if you are working and your employers can work with Revenue's cycle to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I know that Nigels repair and service them, so presumably they can supply them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yes, it can still take 3 months to get one from Cycleways in Dublin if you want to pick and choose the various options, but they do have some models in-store which can be bought and taken away.

Thats great they have the standard models off the shelf to purchase, years ago when I bought they only had 1 demo model if memory serves me correct. The bike market has changed since then though.

@39steps
    Also the beauty of folding bikes is the ability to merge them with other forms of public transport. Taxi's, bus and train. Have had zero problems in Galway city doing this.

Advertisement