Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Sat Nav for Christmas Present?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello Guys,

I'm clueless when it comes to current sat nav features so i was hoping for some advice.....

Firstly, my budget is 200 euro.
    I've seen both Tom Tom and Garmin widescreen sat navs for this price.
    Which one has the most up to date features and Maps?
    Updates are very important so how much does each map update cost? Can you get them on torernts?

What about downloading the new speed camera locations? Can it be done on both models? Will the work with a Mac?

Please give me any tips or advice regarding which one to purchase?

Many thanks for your help,

Japasca

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will get a decent TomTom or Garmin in that price range.
    Stick with them & you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Ya but one of them must have newer maps and cheaper map upgrades right?
    What about features like blutooth? Worth the extra cash??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They both release maps approx every 3 months.
    TomTom give you a latest map gaurantee, Garmin gives the option to purchase a lifetime map paired to a single device.
    You need to look up specific models for bluetooth etc.
    I never find it great to be honest.
    Again , you get what you pay for. Either TT or Garmin will be good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Thanks for the info KK,

I was also thinking of getting him the iPhone Tom Tom app with the Dock as well.
    Anyone have any opinions on the iPhone as a sat nav? The reviews on the app store aren't great at all!

If you have never used a PND before it would look good. But in comparission to a dedicated device its not great in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement