Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intumescent Fire and Smoke Seal around apartment door

• 16-11-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've just bought an apartment and in the surveyors report it advised that I have an intumescent strip fitted around the door, as there is no seal around it at all as it is.
    I'm just wondering, is this easy enough to fit to an existing door or will the frame need to be routed etc. etc. Are they glued/screwed on? I suppose I'm wondering; how big the job is, whether I could do it myself and where to buy the actual strip?

Any advice or experience on this would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

The intumescent strip is fitted to the door, not the frame. So the door has to be routed. But the door needs to be a properly fire rated door. Not much point in beefing up the fire seal around the door if the door itself is not going to withstand the fire. Fire doors are normally evident by their weight, much heavier and solid than a normal door.

So check that the door is fire rated first.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DBF

Sorry, should have mentioned that. Yes, the door is fire rated. The surveyor comfirmed this. And it seems to be solid timber with a closer on the top.

Advertisement