Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okra

Options
  • 16-11-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Just thinking of what exotic I might try growing next year. Has anyone tried growing Okra in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Okra, looks interesting may i ask where you are sourcing the seed?

Are you growing it more for the flower or fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

from what I've read best done in a polytunnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    from what I've read best done in a polytunnel

Not an problem, I have access to commercial built glasshouses and a choice of either clay or sandy soils to trial on.

I was thinking of sourcing seed from commercial suppliers, have to see what the smallest quantity they supply if they have okra in stock or just dissect some okra and save seed from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I think I have a pack somewhere, gimme a few days, will PM you

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

the organic centre in rossinver carry okra seeds also......friend of mine grew it last year as a challenge-even in the polytunnel, temperature was an issue from time to time as it required constant 20 degree+ heat, also it was a magnet for aphids, apart from that it had a really high yield in the latter part of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dardevle wrote: »

the organic centre in rossinver carry okra seeds also......friend of mine grew it last year as a challenge-even in the polytunnel, temperature was an issue from time to time as it required constant 20 degree+ heat, also it was a magnet for aphids, apart from that it had a really high yield in the latter part of the season.

It can't be as bad a magnet for aphids as basil.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Corsendonk wrote: »
    It can't be as bad a magnet for aphids as basil.

if you want to keep aphids off your basil then do a companion planting of okra with it :D

Advertisement