Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Norway; 17th Nov; Lansdowne Road KO 7:45pm Live Sky Sports 1

• 16-11-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

So I have no idea of when Coleman will get a run!

Starting XI
    Given (Manchester City) (capt)
    Kelly (Fulham), O'Shea (Manchester United), O'Dea (Ipswich Town), Cunningham (Leicester City)
    Lawrence (Portsmouth), Fahey (Birmingham City), Whelan (Stoke City), Duff (Fulham)
    Long (Reading), Doyle (Wolves).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

So I have no idea of when Coleman will get a run!

Starting XI
    Given (Manchester City) (capt)
    Kelly (Fulham), O'Shea (Manchester United), O'Dea (Ipswich Town), Cunningham (Leicester City)
    Lawrence (Portsmouth), Fahey (Birmingham City), Whelan (Stoke City), Duff (Fulham)
    Long (Reading), Doyle (Wolves).

can coleman actually pass the ball? if so he wont be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Disgrace, although at least green isn't playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    at least green isn't playing.

there is a god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bit weird they're not playing it at the aviva, it being the nations big stadium and all

Trapattoni names side for Norway

Tuesday, 16 November 2010 15:18
    Giovanni Trapattoni has named a much-changed starting XI for Wednesday night's friendly international against Norway at the Aviva Stadium.
    Shay Given will captain the side in the absence of the injured Robbie Keane, while Stephen Kelly and Greg Cunningham take their places at full-back.
    Darren O'Dea will partner John O'Shea in central defence.

Keith Fahey comes in to start alongside Glenn Whelan in central midfield, while Liam Lawrence and Damien Duff are on the wings.
    Shane Long and Kevin Doyle are named up front.

Given (Manchester City); Kelly (Fulham), O'Shea (Manchester United), O'Dea (Ipswich Town), Cunningham (Leicester City); Lawrence (Portsmouth), Fahey (Birmingham City), Whelan (Stoke City), Duff (Fulham), Long (Reading), Doyle (Wolves).

Didnt see this posted up.Dissapointed Coleman doesnt even get a start in a friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Like you, I would like to have seen colemen get a start, but kelly probably deserves the start and Lawerence has been in great form at Club level and we should try to keep that going into the international game, so I can see why both right sided choices were made.

Interested to see how Fahey and Whelan get on in the centre, hope they do very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I don't see why Duff/Doyle/Given/O'Shea are in the starting lineup when he could hand other people some experience.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I don't see why Duff/Doyle/Given/O'Shea are in the starting lineup when he could hand other people some experience.

I think it is, generally, the right call. Mix it up, but not too much.

O'Shea is getting played in the centre - if he does well there (and players in other positions perform) we could see him partner Dunne there in future - what we should be doing, right call in this friendly imo. Would be wrong to play two inexperieced CBs from the start.

Lets see how Doyle does with Long. Would be wrong to go with 2 relatively untested strikers from the start, don't think Walters deserves a start yet anyway - who is the other option?

Maybe we should have played Westwood in goals.

As for Duff, we are giving Cunningham a go at full back, keep an experienced player in front to help him out, right call imo.

Worst thing you can do (and I have expressed my annoyance at this with regards to United doing it) is to give too many players a go at one time - not fair to the players as they are all inexperienced of playing together and all trying to prove something, so can become very disjointed. If you really want to see how a young lad will do, put him beside an experienced player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Like you, I would like to have seen colemen get a start, but kelly probably deserves the start and Lawerence has been in great form at Club level and we should try to keep that going into the international game, so I can see why both right sided choices were made.

Interested to see how Fahey and Whelan get on in the centre, hope they do very well.

have to agree here, looks like a good enough team and a few players have a chance to really impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Why he hasn't used Coleman in this is ridiculous. Perfect occasion for him to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I think Westwood is injured and out of the game.

Who else are we left with on the bench thats fit?

I'm slightly disappointed that Coleman isn't starting but I'd expect him to get at least 30 mins so hopefully he can make an impression.

Its probably a wise thing that we've picked a semi-experienced team as Norway are in fantastic form at present and could well give us a spanking if we played too many inexperienced players.

Warper wrote: »
    Why he hasn't used Coleman in this is ridiculous. Perfect occasion for him to start.

as i have said above, i can see good reason for it.

Play him at RB, where he hasn't been playing for his club, over Kelly has been playing regularly for Fulham and has been a regular Ireland squad member without the reward of many games? I think Kelly deserves the start.

Play him as RM, ahead of a fullback getting one of few starts at this level so we have two inexperienced players on the right had side of the team, while also have inexperienced (at international level) players at CB and LB?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I'm happy with that lineup. Coleman will more than likely come on in the second half.

Really hope Fahey does a job in the middle tomorow and shows Trap he should be in there ahead of Green for future matches.

jameshayes wrote: »
    is this on SS1?

looking at the guide it looks like it's scotland -v- faroe

tomorrow night.

can this be merged with the match thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

tomorrow night.

yeah, tried delete my comment before someone quoted lol! got my days mixed up!

as i have said above, i can see good reason for it.

Play him at RB, where he hasn't been playing for his club, over Kelly has been playing regularly for Fulham and has been a regular Ireland squad member without the reward of many games? I think Kelly deserves the start.

Play him as RM, ahead of a fullback getting one of few starts at this level so we have two inexperienced players on the right had side of the team, while also have inexperienced (at international level) players at CB and LB?
    Yeah but its a friendly,the result shouldnt matter.

But playing a load of inexperienced players together doesn't help them, they won't be used to playing together and will be more likely to make mistakes.

Far better to give 3 or 4 players a chance and see how they do alongside the experienced heads in your team - will give you a better idea of how they would do in proper competitive matches where they'd likely be playing alongside those same players.

You also need to rewards the players that have travelled and made themselves available for years without seeing much pitch time, such as Kelly - to ignore them consistently would be damaging for morale.

I would be very disappointed if Coleman does not get on the pitch for decent stint tomorrow, but I don't think it is a disgrace that he is not starting. I can see the reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I know what you're saying, but I think in this case it kinda does. We have come off the back of two disappointing results. Another hiding would be very bad for morale.

I think that the call to leave Coleman out from the start is justified. He is starting Cunningham on the left, so it would be a big risk sending out an international team with two inexperienced full-backs.

This way Trap can see how the game develops and choose whether to bring in Coleman to the righthand side of the backline or midfield.

What interests me more is playing Doyle and Long together, very similar players. Interested to see how that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anyone know where I could watch this online? Im in New York at the moment and rte.ie dont seem to be showing it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The only reason he changed anything is because his preferred choices are all injured....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I know that that's what everybody says but I've come around to Trap's way of thinking on the friendlies. He treats them as an opportunity for the team to go out and practice the game plan. He throws in one or two new players but not so much that the whole team loses the chance to practice working together. I think it's a great idea tbh.

I'm most excited about the prospect of Fahey moving into the centre, I hope this works out and becomes permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I think its a fine starting 11. Experience and new blood.

Coleman will probably get a half for Lawrence.

There are 2 experienced (inc Given), and 3 not in defence (well, Kelly is halfway there), Fahey's getting a start and so is long - two players on the periphery of the starting 11.

It will be a very different team by 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Delighted at all the withdrawals. NOW is the time for big style experimentation. Particularly happy with Fahey in the middle, this should show a big improvement in ball retention. If Wilson comes on for Whelan at some stage, we might actually see a Trapattoni side play pleasant football shock horror! :D

On Walters - wouldn't get your hopes up on him being fierce competition to Keane/Doyle, from what I've seen.

BTW I really hope Kevin Foley features at some point. He's a decent Premier League full back and it's embarrassing how often McShane and Kilbane (JOS could easily play on the left) have been picked before him in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Is Mccarthy injured? We need to tie him down before Scotland poach him. Glad to see Fahey starting. Hopefully he plays well and starts ahead of Greene in the future. Heading to the Aviva to watch this, hoping for a better performance than the disaster that was the Russia match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is Mccarthy injured? We need to tie him down before Scotland poach him. Glad to see Fahey starting. Hopefully he plays well and starts ahead of Greene in the future. Heading to the Aviva to watch this, hoping for a better performance than the disaster that was the Russia match.

Ya he is out for another month at least I think. It wouldn't matter anyways if he played as this is still not a competitive match. He has already played 1 friendly for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

s_carnage wrote: »
    Ya he is out for another month at least I think. It wouldn't matter anyways if he played as this is still not a competitive match. He has already played 1 friendly for us.

I know but Trap would never start him in a competitive game without playing him in a friendly first. The sooner the better I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

McCarthy can't be poached by Scotland when he has a cap for our senior side, even if it was a friendly. Unless the rule has changed?

They did something similar with McGeady aswell. Gave him a senior cap when he was young and then played him in the under 21s for a year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    McCarthy can't be poached by Scotland when he has a cap for our senior side, even if it was a friendly. Unless the rule has changed?

Brazil was not a competitive match and he is still under 21, so in theory he is still allowed to switch if he gets fed up with Trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

PaddyBomb wrote: »

They did something similar with McGeady aswell. Gave him a senior cap when he was young and then played him in the under 21s for a year or so.

That has been changed. To be ruled out to play for another country you have to play a competitive game first so McCarthy can still play for Scotland if he so wishes.

He should be back for this new tournament were playing in Feb against Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland so hopefully he should get some game time there but I'm not to sure if them games will be counted as competitive or not.

Edit: Re Irishrossoblu, didn't realise the whole U21 thing was apart of the new rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Brazil was not a competitive match and he is still under 21, so in theory he is still allowed to switch if he gets fed up with Trap.

I'm still confused by all this. So I had a look at the FIFA statutes.

Article 15. Principle

1. Any person holding a permanent nationality that is not dependent on residence in a certain country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of that country.

2. With the exception of the conditions specified in article 18 below, any Player who has already participated in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one Association may not play an international match for a representative team of another Association.

Article 17. Acquisition of a new nationality

Any Player who refers to art. 15 par. 1 to assume a new nationality and who has not played international football in accordance with art. 15 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

(a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    (b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of
    the relevant Association;
    (c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    (d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

Article 18 Change of Association

1. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality, he may, only once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

(a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition at “A” international level for his current Association, and at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the representative team for which he wishes to play.

(b) He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous Association.

I think the key phrase here is 'official competition'. I don't think a friendly match counts counts as an official competition match, so he can still change.

If you look at the official FIFA calender it lists dates as 'Available for Official Competition matches' and 'Available for Friendly Matches'. This to me means that in FIFAs eyes a friendly is not an official competition match. I imagine the Home Nations Tournament would probably be classed as friendly matches in the eyes of FIFA. He would need to be played in one of the Euro Qualifiers to be tied to us.

While the competitive element holds true, his age does not. Once he's played for the Senior A team in a competition, he's ours - doesn't matter if he's 17 or 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

SK1979 wrote: »
    Who else are we left with on the bench thats fit?

Substitutes*: Joe Murphy, Kevin Foley, Seamus Coleman, Marc Wilson, Keith Treacy, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Jonathon Walters.

*Six can be used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Substitutes*: Joe Murphy, Kevin Foley, Seamus Coleman, Marc Wilson, Keith Treacy, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Jonathon Walters.

*Six can be used

I really hope Coleman, Wilson and Treacy get meaningful runs, ie over 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Is Wilson any use? Is he that Northern Irish guy that plays for Portsmouth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

roryc wrote: »
    Is Wilson any use? Is he that Northern Irish guy that plays for Portsmouth?

He was born in Nrt.Ireland but has been playing with Rep since he was around 17 i think. He now plays with stoke and has played bout 4 games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Corholio wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could watch this online? Im in New York at the moment and rte.ie dont seem to be showing it unfortunately.

Try the match streams thread a bit closer to kick off... it is on Sky so I'd say there will be a good few streams knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

He was born in Nrt.Ireland but has been playing with Rep since he was around 17 i think. He now plays with stoke and has played bout 4 games this season.

7 appearances for stoke since moving from Portsmouth, plus 6 appearances for Portsmouth before that: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=45991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Hope the young players do well, doubt it'll be a good game though.

2-0 Norway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Is this on RTE or is it just Sky coz it's a friendly?

• Advertisement

Sky.

Nailz wrote: »
    Sky.

The sooner that changes the better. Not having an International on terrestrial is a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

The sooner that changes the better. Not having an International on terrestrial is a pita joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Any idea on the Norway team yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sky.

Atrocious stuff...

mars bar wrote: »
    Atrocious stuff...
    Yeah, I suppose it is... But I don't mind, I have Sky! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

65897963.jpg

+ Aiden McGeady (Sub)

What a tiny crowd. If the FAI had any cop on with their ticket prices they could do way better than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What a tiny crowd. If the FAI had any cop on with their ticket prices they could do way better than that!
    Have you ever seen a smaller crowd for a home game before? Sign of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mars bar wrote: »
    Is this on RTE or is it just Sky coz it's a friendly?

Al Jazeera +7 also for anyone who has that.

RTÉ commentary with Sky Sports graphics.

The amount of empty seats is staggering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement