Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Norway; 17th Nov; Lansdowne Road KO 7:45pm Live Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

MOG7 wrote: »
    I think i'm more disappointed about Wilson and Coleman not getting a run-out than i am about the defeat.

+1

If he doesn't play them against Wales, I give up :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

baldbear wrote: »
    Seamus Colemans realtions came down from Donegal to watch him make his debut!

At €55 a ticket, I'd be demanding a refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Now that makes my blood boil, what was he playing at saying that he'd be deffo playing??

Trap lost his marbles or what???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Mister men wrote: »
    Lot of folk getting there knickers in a twist tonight. Trap will take the team forward.
    Take us where? Almost to a major finals? Its not good enough.
    He should at least be playing the best players available to him and he hasn't been doing that. Hes blanked Andy Reid, James McCarthy and now Seamie with no explanation given. Hes continually picked average players when there are better options out there.

Put simply, hes a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Horrible horrible game, McGeady was poor enough but as usual gets all the abuse, very few players did anything good so why people again only point the finger at McGeady i will never know, again i agree he played poorly but he was not the only one :rolleyes:

I think i'm more disappointed about Wilson and Coleman not getting a run-out than i am about the defeat.

Ditto...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Horrible horrible game, McGeady was poor enough but as usual gets all the abuse, very few players did anything good so why people again only point the finger at McGeady i will never know, again i agree he played poorly but he was not the only one :rolleyes:

Because he gets into really good positions and can set himself up nicely but 99% of the time, he does something utterly retarded like 3 or 4 step overs or just keeps running until he runs into something.

He could be really good, but it's like he refuses to be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Shambolic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

"many, many positives" says Trap. Bit of f***in honesty wouldn't go astray there Trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

You could just imagine how angry he and his relations are right now. Disgraceful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm really pi$$ed off. The way it was touted inthe papers, Coleman was basically getting a start.

To not play the lad at all, with 6 subs at his disposal is a complete fcuking farce.

Coleman is the brightest prospect we've had in donkeys, and he's having a cracking season with Everton (a PREMIERSHIP club).

I think he prefers playing Championship standard and prem rejects for some reason.

Coleman should be pretty much on the starting 11 for us - he's that good. Lawrence I can understand, generally plays well fo rus, but not giving Coleman a run I just can't believe.

I honestly thought he would swap him for Lawrence at half time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Aghh no Dumphy on RTE. Didn't Stevie Ireland not get a run out on his under 21 debut in Cork a few years ago and we all know how that ended!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Lads, calm down. The main positive I seen was Fahey had a solid enough game, apart from a few ambitious long passes. If Trap starts Green ahead of him next game, I will join your "Trap out" posse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Meaningless friendly, injury ravaged squad. No one will remember this result in a few weeks.

Typical boards knee-jerk overreaction tbh.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Meaningless friendly, injury ravaged squad. No one will remember this result in a few weeks.

Typical boards knee-jerk overreaction tbh.

I think you'll find no one gives a fook about the result.

But not playing some of the players that should have played is what's causing all the fuss.

I think you'll find no one gives a fook about the result.

But not playing some of the players that should have played is what's causing all the fuss.

Again 10 minutes at the end of a friendly won't make or break the likes of Coleman's career or Wilson's career. And I can understand him not starting too many younger players in one game and the need to give the likes of Kelly who's been knocking about for a while a run out. Coleman's time will come. Peopel just love a good p*ss and moan.

Again 10 minutes at the end of a friendly won't make or break the likes of Coleman's career or Wilson's career. And I can understand him not starting too many younger players in one game and the need to give the likes of Kelly who's been knocking about for a while a run out. Coleman's time will come. Peopel just love a good p*ss and moan.

Kelly has played plenty of games, and has pretty much already proven that he hasn't been good enough.

Making wholesale changes at half time, even to merely give the lads a cap, and a feel for a home International would have done them the world of good.

Those things should have been done, BECAUSE it was a meaningless friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wasn't too pushed about the result but not to give treacy,wilson and Coleman time is a joke.Only good point was he finally acknowledged Foley is alive.No need to give Hunt or McGeady a run out they are established in the squad.Coleman is our form Premiership player atm.pissed off after that its fairly obvious the starting 11 for our next competitive game.no ****ing point playing friendlies if your not going to look at young/uncapped players.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

No it wont, but it would have been nice to see one of the few Irish players in good form get some sort of run out tonight, Colemans time probably won't come until next summer. He should have got at least 45 minutes tonight, people are entitled to piss and moan over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Trap has given up caring!

Certainly not optimistic for the remainder of the qualifiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The foundations of a good side are there but Trap isn't the man to take the next step. He has done alot of good for Ireland but ultimately, after these qualifiers, I think he needs to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Augmerson wrote: »
    The foundations of a good side are there but Trap isn't the man to take the next step. He has done alot of good for Ireland but ultimately, after these qualifiers, I think he needs to move on.

Coleman is playing dynamite stuff, how he has not made the team is mind boggling in fairness.

Fekkin hell, Trap is an old man, I think he should retire now in fairness, he must be like 80 soon...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

People are way overreacting about this. I've had bucket loads of criticism for Trap in the recent past but his selection and subs tonight were fine by me.

He gave plenty of the new lads a run out tonight and he balanced that against keeping some of the more experienced lads involved.

Coleman's time will come. This is not a big deal.

I was glad to see Fahey play reasonably well tonight and I assume he is going to become first choice in the centre now.

Long did well too and it might become a hard choice between him and Keane. Long offers more energy and physicality than Keane which helps a lot. Although I would still go with Keane for now.

I'd love to hear who all the morons who want Trap out would replace him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Coleman's time won't come under Trap anyways, he's too good a footballer. Why play someone who can actually play football, when you can play hoovers and average defensive midfielders?
    Disappointed for Seamie, but he won't let it bother him too much, he's a great pro. He'l be our best player once Trap is gone.

srfc19 wrote: »
    Coleman's time won't come under Trap anyways, he's too good a footballer. Why play someone who can actually play football, when you can play hoovers and average defensive midfielders?
    Disappointed for Seamie, but he won't let it bother him too much, he's a great pro. He'l be our best player once Trap is gone.

Yet he played Fahey centre mid today.

I'd love to hear who all the morons who want Trap out would replace him with.

Anyone

Yet he played Fahey centre mid today.

He didn't have any other options tonight, if Green was there he'd have been playing.

Anyone

I am suitably cowed by the sheer force of your logic and rhetoric. Savage answer.

I am suitably cowed by the sheer force of your logic and rhetoric. Savage answer.

I honestly would take almost any other manager thats available. He's getting paid serious money and hasn't delivered. We play too defensive and it has been proven not too work yet he persists.

• Advertisement

He didn't have any other options tonight, if Green was there he'd have been playing.

He could've played Wilson, but then you'd have moaned if he shunted Fahey to the wing. Any excuse to get the willies out and have agood p*ss and moan tbh. Ye have a top class manager and ye'r still moaning. When he's replaced with Joe Kinnear or some other mediocrity ye'll be sorry.

He could've played Wilson, but then you'd have moaned if he shunted Fahey to the wing. Any excuse to get the willies out and have agood p*ss and moan tbh. Ye have a top class manager and ye'r still moaning. When he's replaced with Joe Kinnear or some other mediocrity ye'll be sorry.

He could have played Wilson but that would have meant having a serious look at a good prospect, not really Trap's style is it.
    Whats the difference, have a top class manager and not qualify or have an average manager and not qualify?
    I don't care how good he has been in the past, he's not the right man for us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Pro. F wrote: »
    People are way overreacting about this. I've had bucket loads of criticism for Trap in the recent past but his selection and subs tonight were fine by me.

He gave plenty of the new lads a run out tonight and he balanced that against keeping some of the more experienced lads involved.

Coleman's time will come. This is not a big deal.

I was glad to see Fahey play reasonably well tonight and I assume he is going to become first choice in the centre now.

Long did well too and it might become a hard choice between him and Keane. Long offers more energy and physicality than Keane which helps a lot. Although I would still go with Keane for now.
    Will Coleman get a chance under Trappatoni though??? I dont think so!! Which is a disgrace.
    He brough on Mcgeady and Walters instead of Coleman??? I mean wtf is that all about?:confused: Manager hasnt a fooken clue, you can say "ah hes a top manager, hes won it all", just easy excuses to keep him in the job, living off his past record, well hes doing an absolutely terrible job. Would Kerr, Staunton and Mcarthy got away with this?? Not a fooken hope and it will take an absolute disaster before we even consider getting rid of the half dead old man. I mean we dont have bags of talent and strenght in depth as a small nation we should at least be picking our best players. We arent going to qualify for te Euros, because of Trappotonis selections, were certainly good enough, we are better than Slovakia ffs.
    Jesus even Ell Tell could at worst stick our best 11 on the pitch, any old fart in the stand could.
    If I see Green in another squad Il shoot the fela!!
    RANT OVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I don't know how people can defend Trap. He won't play players with real potential in a meaningless friendly. How much is he getting paid? Does he go to matches to watch players himself? His one objective was to qualify for a major tournament - 2 chances and 1 gone already. We play puke football and we don't win. He's lazy and incredibly stubborn.

Feel free to save this post on your hard drive in case we do qualify. But we won't playing like we have the last few matches, and such a waste of potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

His style is so out of date. He's no where near a world class manager anymore. We'd probably pick up more points in a qualifying group under Joe Kinnear. No poxy pointless draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Fittle wrote: »
    My son is there tonight (with his uncle) and I can tell you now, that him seeing Paki Bonner, Trapatoni and Duff etc in real life, was well worth 40euro. Just my twohapence worth.

This is really bad but I couldn't resist :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

Glenn Whelan is not an International central midfielder in a million years. I know we're light on quality in that area, but the guy is just not up to it. He hasn't a clue what to do when the opposition have the ball and it's no co-incidence that we get run over in midfield when he's in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The FAI are a pack of greedy gobsh!tes, they would rather see a half empty stadium at €40-55 than pricing tickets that are affordable, we are in a recession FFS. They knew well in advance they wouldn't sell all the tickets, at least offer the unsold tickets to schools so they can fill the stadium. Pack of idiots!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im quite glad I had to work through this based on the comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Just saw the prices for the England V France game, did the FAI offer any family pricing?

£40, £30, £25, £20

FAMILY ENCLOSURE - £20 Adults/£10 Children under 16

http://www.thefa.com/England/News/match-centre/2010/EnglandvFrance/Previews/Tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Glenn Whelan has been atrocious this season, Stoke fans reckon he'll be peddled to a Championship club soon enough. Marc Wilson is a much better player, about time he slipped in ahead of him in the pecking order for the national team too. We don't have a poverty in central midfield like some people make out we have - James McCarthy and David Meyler will be well fit by February and here's hoping Steven Reid (said he could be convinced to come out of retirement) will be back on the scene as well.

On the match: Long and Fahey the positives. Shame Coleman never got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Will Coleman get a chance under Trappatoni though??? I dont think so!! Which is a disgrace.
    He brough on Mcgeady and Walters instead of Coleman??? I mean wtf is that all about?:confused: Manager hasnt a fooken clue, you can say "ah hes a top manager, hes won it all", just easy excuses to keep him in the job, living off his past record, well hes doing an absolutely terrible job. Would Kerr, Staunton and Mcarthy got away with this?? Not a fooken hope and it will take an absolute disaster before we even consider getting rid of the half dead old man. I mean we dont have bags of talent and strenght in depth as a small nation we should at least be picking our best players. We arent going to qualify for te Euros, because of Trappotonis selections, were certainly good enough, we are better than Slovakia ffs.
    Jesus even Ell Tell could at worst stick our best 11 on the pitch, any old fart in the stand could.
    If I see Green in another squad Il shoot the fela!!
    RANT OVER
    I have big problems with Trap and his selection policy. I have slated him for some decisions and I'm sure I will again in future (like if he plays Green ahead of Fahey in the middle ever!!!). But the bit in bold is just wild speculation. There's no reason to believe that he won't select Coleman at some point.

lol. That properly made me laugh
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Shane Long has firmly cemented his place in the squad now. He'll probably never match Kevin Doyle's achievements in the top flight of English football, never mind Keano's, but I really like his pace and how he stretches defences. Other than McGeady, we don't really have a player like that in the squad. It's bringing balance to the 'system'.

He could also have played Wilson ahead of Whelan (as Stoke do).

Fact is he picks certain players when he can, regardless of form or even ability. Say what you want about Kerr/McCarthy, they knew what their best 11 was. I couldn't assume the same about Trap.

Shane Long has firmly cemented his place in the squad now. He'll probably never match Kevin Doyle's achievements in the top flight of English football, never mind Keano's, but I really like his pace and how he stretches defences. Other than McGeady, we don't really have a player like that in the squad. It's bringing balance to the 'system'.
    Coleman;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

whats the story with delap? Has he retired from internationals. He is an absolute weapon with his throws and a regular in stoke. You saw how we struggled with riises long throws in the first half. If he was english, he would at least get a place on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

If he was english, he would at least get a place on the bench

He is English, born in Sutton Coldfield ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

whats the story with delap? Has he retired from internationals. He is an absolute weapon with his throws and a regular in stoke. You saw how we struggled with riises long throws in the first half. If he was english, he would at least get a place on the bench

Scouts all over the world are now searching for players with long throws....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Say what you want about Kerr/McCarthy, they knew what their best 11 was. I couldn't assume the same about Trap.

It's the complete opposite- Trap does know who his preferred 11 is, the problem seems to be that everyone else disagrees with him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Thought we were very good for opening 25 mins or so, after that it got a bit stale to say the least. Shane Long did very well and was a handful all night. McGeady running into brick walls as usual, very disappointing not to see Coleman come on instead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

better game than i expected last night,both teams went for it and was a far better game than argentina, which was the worst game ive ever seen live.

a few positives from it, cunningham was decent and long was excellent. them 2 have to be pushing for a place in the next qualifier

of course coleman should have got a run, but his time will come.

the few people who booed at the end, are f*cking idiots.....we played well and didnt deserve to lose the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement