Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Norway; 17th Nov; Lansdowne Road KO 7:45pm Live Sky Sports 1

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

better game than i expected last night,both teams went for it and was a far better game than argentina, which was the worst game ive ever seen live.

a few positives from it, cunningham was decent and long was excellent. them 2 have to be pushing for a place in the next qualifier

of course coleman should have got a run, but his time will come.

the few people who booed at the end, are f*cking idiots.....we played well and didnt deserve to lose the game.

If you paid the ticket then you have a right to either boo, cheer or scream and only a moron would contest that. Given Trap's selection last night, there wasn't a whole lot to get excited about anyway. On the way up to the match everybody was talking about Coleman and then Trap doesn't even give him a minute on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

better game than i expected last night,both teams went for it and was a far better game than argentina, which was the worst game ive ever seen live.

a few positives from it, cunningham was decent and long was excellent. them 2 have to be pushing for a place in the next qualifier

of course coleman should have got a run, but his time will come.

the few people who booed at the end, are f*cking idiots.....we played well and didnt deserve to lose the game.

I have to agree. I went to the match last night and paid €40 for my ticket. Was lucky enough to sit with the 'singing crowd' in the lower South. I was really surprised at how we played. Was expectin total crap, but I enjoyed the game. People loose so much time complaining about Trap. Let him do his job. He will probably retire at the end of 2012, so then we will see ho is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I was at the match, pretty boring stuff. Was actually having 5 euro bets with the stewards on the next goalscorer to keep it interesting :pac:. I didn't think Long played that well at all, he just fell over constantly, and there is no way he is permanently taking Keane's place. Fahey played well though, he rarely misplaced a pass and hopefully will replace Greene next time. Would of liked to have seen Coleman too, he really should of played for at least a half hour.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'd love to hear who all the morons who want Trap out would replace him with.

Chris Hughton? Steve Coppell?

I kept an open mind to Trap for a long time but he is a one dimensional boring manager like most of the Italians. Mancini is from same school of thought.

if its wrong to want to see the best attacking players on the field and positive tactics deployed throughout the match then i guess i am a moron along with the majority of the football supporting world :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Chris Hughton? Steve Coppell?

I kept an open mind to Trap for a long time but he is a one dimensional boring manager like most of the Italians. Mancini is from same school of thought.

if its wrong to want to see the best attacking players on the field and positive tactics deployed throughout the match then i guess i am a moron along with the majority of the football supporting world :rolleyes:

Can't argue with this point anyway.:)

If you think Hughton's going to leave a top premiership club to manage Ireland you're insane.

Coppell would probably walk out after five minutes leke he's prone to doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I didn't think Long played that well at all, he just fell over constantly, and there is no way he is permanently taking Keane's place.

Have you seen Robbie Keane's last few games for Ireland ? I think Long should get in ahead of him. Long was unlucky not to have 2 or 3 more goals from far more difficult chances than Keane got in the Slovakia game.

Can't argue with this point anyway.:)

If you think Hughton's going to leave a top premiership club to manage Ireland you're insane.

Coppell would probably walk out after five minutes leke he's prone to doing.

Denis O'Brien's money might tempt him and dont forget there was ridiculous talk Hughton would get the sack at Newcastle recently.

Your Coppell comments are insane. Are you forgetting Crystal Palace and Reading and the job he done there on a very small budget? He was dead right to walk from Bristol City as they bought a player over his head. if it was done to Fergie or Wenger same would happen and rightly so. It happened at City too granted, i dunno the story there but im still a fan.

I just think we deserve better then a dinosaur like Trap. People go on about his European cup win but in all fairness that was tainted by the tragedy of that night. he won leagues in italy and austria where the football isnt of great standard. I dont want Tardelli either as he is from the same school of thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Once Hughton stabilises Newcastle in the prem he will be shunted out the door for a 'bigger name', so you never know what may happen come 2012...

professore wrote: »
    Have you seen Robbie Keane's last few games for Ireland ? I think Long should get in ahead of him. Long was unlucky not to have 2 or 3 more goals from far more difficult chances than Keane got in the Slovakia game.

Lets not get carried away, Long scored a penalty. And he didn't get 2 or 3 more goals, just like Keane didn't against Slovakia. If Robbie goes 3 competitive games without scoring, then fair enough give Long a chance. If we have a chance of qualifying though, it will be through Keano.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Does anyone think Trappatoni is now a senile man who likes to go against what people think just so he can be different? :confused:

Seriously, firstly the whole Steven Ireland thing. The majority didn't want to see him in an Ireland jersey again but Trap used to waffle on about how he could be coming back and the likes.

Secondly, the fact that he refuses to drop players when they are clearly poor. Maybe he doesn't drop them because he doesn't like being told what to do?

Thirdly, the whole Coleman thing last night. EVERYONE was expecting the lad to play and everyone wanted to see him. So once again Trappatoni doesn't do it as everyone wants him to.

I think he's lost it in the head tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Probably LOI fans booing the English based players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

RasTa wrote: »
    Probably LOI fans booing the English based players...

Probably the EPL fans who don't have a clue how to support a team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Going by what I read about an interview Trappotoni gave when asked about Coleman, he said something like we have lots of players in that position already, Lawrence Mcgeady Duff Hunt, basically saying we already have quality in this postion, we dont need Coleman. Why no at least try him last night?? He also said in the 2nd half he didnt bring on Coleman because the way the game was going and he wanted to win the game, ffs its only a friendly the main concer should be giving players a chance(Coleman) and how we perform.
    I dunno, Im just sick of the man, he just doesnt like good players?!:confused:

Going by what I read about an interview Trappotoni gave when asked about Coleman, he said something like we have lots of players in that position already, Lawrence Mcgeady Duff Hunt, basically saying we already have quality in this postion, we dont need Coleman. Why no at least try him last night?? He also said in the 2nd half he didnt bring on Coleman because the way the game was going and he wanted to win the game, ffs its only a friendly the main concer should be giving players a chance(Coleman) and how we perform.
    I dunno, Im just sick of the man, he just doesnt like good players?!:confused:

Jesus Coleman is easily the most on form player Ireland have at the moment
    the 4 players you mentioned wouldnt as be as good as him combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

he won leagues in italy and austria where the football isnt of great standard.

Lol

• Advertisement

All the armchair managers out in full force again.
    First it was Andy Reid now it's Coleman. People will find something to moan about. Only he was right with Reid wasn't he and I remember the ongoing venom over him being omitted. On Coleman ye he could have played but he didn't. big fkn deal. Awww his relatives came all the way down from Donegal. If I bring my mum can I play then too? If he didn't like him he wouldn't be in the squad.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Does anyone think Trappatoni is now a senile man who likes to go against what people think just so he can be different? :confused:.

No I think it's just you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Denis O'Brien's money might tempt him and dont forget there was ridiculous talk Hughton would get the sack at Newcastle recently.

Your Coppell comments are insane. Are you forgetting Crystal Palace and Reading and the job he done there on a very small budget? He was dead right to walk from Bristol City as they bought a player over his head. if it was done to Fergie or Wenger same would happen and rightly so. It happened at City too granted, i dunno the story there but im still a fan.

I just think we deserve better then a dinosaur like Trap. People go on about his European cup win but in all fairness that was tainted by the tragedy of that night. he won leagues in italy and austria where the football isnt of great standard. I dont want Tardelli either as he is from the same school of thought

Whether he's past his best or not, living on his reputation from yesteryear etc, nobody can dispute or criticise his achievements. BTW he won Seria A titles when that league was widely regarded as the best league in the world. You are talking out your arse, stop.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Whether he's past his best or not, living on his reputation from yesteryear etc, nobody can dispute or criticise his achievements. BTW he won Seria A titles when that league was widely regarded as the best league in the world. You are talking out your arse, stop.

if there's one league that could knock me to sleep in minutes its Serie A and not only that its been riddled with corruption, YOU my friend are talking out of YOUR ARSE!!! stop!

if there's one league that could knock me to sleep in minutes its Serie A and not only that its been riddled with corruption, YOU my friend are talking out of YOUR ARSE!!! stop!

Were you even watching Italian football in the 70's & 80's?

You sound like you are referring to Italian football today. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What I've learned from the last few pages

- We should bring back Rory Delap. He throws the ball very far.
    - Shane Long is a better option than Robbie Keane, he of close to 50 international goals
    - Steve Coppell is a better manager than Trapattoni, he of multiple league titles in several different countries
    - The Italian League is a poor league
    - Not playing a young lad with a handful of senior games for Everton for a few minutes in a friendly is akin to manager losing the plot.

Ye're some laugh lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

- Shane Long is a better option than Robbie Keane, he of close to 50 international goals
    - Steve Coppell is a better manager than Trapattoni, he of multiple league titles in several different countries
    - Not playing a young lad with a handful of senior games for Everton for a few minutes in a friendly is akin to manager losing the plot.

Ye're some laugh lads.
    Right firstly I agree with your sarcasm regarding Delap - he is sh*te. But right now, at the present moment, Long is the form striker. He's playing regularly and scoring. Keane isn't.
    When Coppell reaches 70 years judge him then. 1 thing I worried about when Trap was appointed was who he was leaving - Red Bull Salzburg. He hasn't yet achieved anything with us.
    Italian league is/was in decline but is still among the best in the world. But that means nothing in international football.
    And he hasn't lost the plot. But why not play Coleman? He brings him into the squad, for what? And now he "has too many good wingers?" Come on. When he achieves something with us I'll eat my words but until then I for one don't have confidence in Trap.

Were you even watching Italian football in the 70's & 80's?

You sound like you are referring to Italian football today. :rolleyes:

Theyve been playing the same style in Italy since Adam bit into the apple. they go 1-0 up and shut up shop, so dont tell me it was different then and if you recall there was corruption then too. Remember Paolo Rossi?

And i cant understand this crap about how much he won...he is not succeeding with us that's the bottom line and is not worth the salary. He is leaving our on form players on the bench when friendlies are for experimenting with them. A guy who roasted Gael Clichy the weekend cant even get a start in a friendly. An absolute joke!

Anyone who is happy with his mediocrity well all i can say is good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Ye're some laugh lads.

While I do agree with most of your sarcastic points (quite funny lol) - he had 6 subs to make, he could have played him.

For some reason, the only really attacking player he likes is the one with no end product - McGeady (though he wasn't too bad last night)

Theyve been playing the same style in Italy since Adam bit into the apple. they go 1-0 up and shut up shop, so dont tell me it was different then and if you recall there was corruption then too. Remember Paolo Rossi?

And i cant understand this crap about how much he won...he is not succeeding with us that's the bottom line and is not worth the salary. He is leaving our on form players on the bench when friendlies are for experimenting with them. A guy who roasted Gael Clichy the weekend cant even get a start in a friendly. An absolute joke!

Anyone who is happy with his mediocrity well all i can say is good luck.

Neither totonero scandal had anything to do with Trapattoni or Juventus. You are clutching at straw if you even knew what you were talking about. The tactics are similar but the standard of football within the league was considered the best. Whether you like or not, most of the best players in world at the time played in Italy.

Your trying to devalue his past achievements because you dont like how he's managing Ireland. Its laughable tbh

Neither totonero scandal had anything to do with Trapattoni or Juventus. You are clutching at straw if you even knew what you were talking about. The tactics are similar but the standard of football within the league was considered the best. Whether you like or not, most of the best players in world at the time played in Italy.

Your trying to devalue his past achievements because you dont like how he's managing Ireland. Its laughable tbh

I'm posing the question that he might be overrated. I never said either totonero had anything to do with Trap...not once. Im merely pointing out that we judging Trapattoni on the basis of winning several leagues in a country renowned for boring tactics and i don't care what players played there. Judge a team/league on the way they play not who they have in the side.

In terms of international football with both Italy (a complete failure in 2002 and 2004). Berti Vogts won a euro championship with Germany but was a disaster with Scotland so while a CV is good it shouldn't merely define whether a manager should be selected or not.

Ireland need an experienced guy who is more fire and brimstone and will get a performance out of the players

EDIT: And the players decided to attack in Paris the night. Dont even try and pass that off as his style of football

I'm posing the question that he might be overrated. I never said either totonero had anything to do with Trap...not once. Im merely pointing out that we judging Trapattoni on the basis of winning several leagues in a country renowned for boring tactics and i don't care what players played there. Judge a team/league on the way they play not who they have in the side.

In terms of international football with both Italy (a complete failure in 2002 and 2004). Berti Vogts won a euro championship with Germany but was a disaster with Scotland so while a CV is good it shouldn't merely define whether a manager should be selected or not.

Ireland need an experienced guy who is more fire and brimstone and will get a performance out of the players

And what did I say?
    Whether he's past his best or not, living on his reputation from yesteryear etc, nobody can dispute or criticise his achievements.

I wasnt using his past achievements to defend him, just saying that devaluing what he has previously achieved in the game because you dont like the way he's currently doing things is stupid and I'll stand by that.

I wasnt using his past achievements to defend him, just saying that devaluing what he has previously achieved in the game because you dont like the way he's currently doing things is stupid and I'll stand by that.

And these people valuing him as ireland manager because he won all this in the game is stupid and ill stand by that. Why should we tied to this guy? surely to god there was more attack minded managers we could have got instead for money. he achieved what he achieved and good luck to him but sometimes the better option is closer to home. id have more time for a manager who can work wonders on a small budget then a guy who wins with a big club.

And these people valuing him as ireland manager because he won all this in the game is stupid and ill stand by that. Why should we tied to this guy? surely to god there was more attack minded managers we could have got instead for money. he achieved what he achieved and good luck to him but sometimes the better option is closer to home. id have more time for a manager who can work wonders on a small budget then a guy who wins with a big club.

Hindsight is a great thing but at the time, who was a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    But right now, at the present moment, Long is the form striker. He's playing regularly and scoring.

3 goals this season in the Championship isn't exactly what i'd call on form. Stokes, Sammon and Rooney are all banging them in up in Scotland, ok i see people might not rate the Scottish League but how Trap and the selectors have managed to ignore all of them is a joke, Stokes has 8 goals this season already and isn't been given a chance by Trap who probably doesn't even know the SPL exists, how he is getting paid his kind of money when all he does is sit on his arse back home in Italy, its a joke. Bring back Brian Kerr i say :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Mongoism of the highest order in this thread

Lads he got us very close to the world cup, and we are still in quite a good position in the group. I don't think he is necessarily playing his best 11 atm but saying he hasn't done a good job with an average bunch of players and is "past it" is just wrong.

MOG7 wrote: »
    3 goals this season in the Championship isn't exactly what i'd call on form. Stokes, Sammon and Rooney are all banging them in up in Scotland, ok i see people might not rate the Scottish League but how Trap and the selectors have managed to ignore all of them is a joke, Stokes has 8 goals this season already and isn't been given a chance by Trap who probably doesn't even know the SPL exists, how he is getting paid his kind of money when all he does is sit on his arse back home in Italy, its a joke. Bring back Brian Kerr i say :pac:

Stokes will never get picked by Trap, probably because he's heard all about his attitude problems whilst at Sunderland. But since he arrived at Hibs (and working with John Hughes again), I think his attitude has been top drawer. Actually, working with John Hughes has got him moves to Sunderland and Celtic. He's certainly better than Walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't been a huge fan of Trap's decisions in the past but I'm surprised he is getting criticism for the Norway game. I thought the team were unlucky to lose. Long's performance was encouraging and while Keane should still be the automatic first choice it's nice to see some back-up in the striking department. Coleman is doing well at Everton which is the main thing and hopefully he will get many more chances with Ireland in the future. It's no biggie that he didn't feature. The injuries forced his hand and some new blood got a chance which was good to see. I hope Shay moves on in January as he doesn't look great at the moment. I thought at his best he might have done better with the free-kick and the second goal. Maybe I'm being too critical but I feel we need him playing for another Premiership team for our campaign hopes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Can I ask a quick question, reading the result in the paper this evening - who is Greg Cunningham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Lads he got us very close to the world cup, and we are still in quite a good position in the group. I don't think he is necessarily playing his best 11 atm but saying he hasn't done a good job with an average bunch of players and is "past it" is just wrong.

Yeah, very close - then he brought on McShane. Nobody's fault but Traps :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

- We should bring back Rory Delap. He throws the ball very far. Hes also being played ahead of Whelan at Stoke and is in a large part responsible for their continued survival in the english prem with the amount of goals they've got from his throws
    - Shane Long is a better option than Robbie Keane, he of close to 50 international goals Agree thats ridiculous
    - Steve Coppell is a better manager than Trapattoni, he of multiple league titles in several different countries I'd take alot of managers ahead of Trap, basically anyone who can pick their best 11 using some degree of common sense
    - The Italian League is a poor league see point B
    - Not playing a young lad with a handful of senior games for Everton for a few minutes in a friendly is akin to manager losing the plot. Not playing our only inform player and the best prospect we've had in 10 years is a disgrace

Ye're some laugh lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

dfx- wrote: »
    Can I ask a quick question, reading the result in the paper this evening - who is Greg Cunningham?

Who is Greg Cunningham? What? Am i missing a joke or what was said in the paper?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Cunningham

Hindsight is a great thing but at the time, who was a better option?

Guus Hiddink was available at the time??? Just throwing a name out there.

• Advertisement

Guus Hiddink was available at the time??? Just throwing a name out there.

No he wasnt, he was manager of Russia at the time

EDIT

I wasnt in Ireland when we looking for a new manager at that time but I dont remember a manager with a better CV being interested. If so correct me on it

As I say, hindsight is wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ye're some laugh lads.

and just ignore the more measured criticisms while you're at it. :rolleyes:

The fact that we've only won one from four (against a country the population of Louth) at the new stadium, means people here are right to find several flaws right now!

No he wasnt, he was manager of Russia at the time

if the price is right, anyone is available. ;)

Advertisement