Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1Gb data plan enough for smartphones?

Options
  • 16-11-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a smartphone. The HTC Desire Z is my current fav and thinking of moving to meteor to get it. Mainly because they are the only ones that seem to offer 12months smartphone contrats, the rest all seem to have 18 as the standard :( And the fact its only €30\month if ordered online is nice as well.
    However there is only 1GB data with the 12month option. I dont see myself doing any heavy internet\widget usage, though i could get carried away when i do get it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

1GB is probably enough for most, could you connect to wifi a lot as that can keep the data usage down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've only 250mb a month at the moment but because I can connect to wifi at home and (sometimes) at work I never even get near the 250mb. So 1Gb should definitely cover you if you have even occasional access to wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

As angel01 says it really depends on whether you have access to wifi at home or in work etc.

I have wifi at home but for the whole day that I'm out, and nights out aswel I use the mobile internet a fair bit. I only have a 250MB allowance and usually don't come close to it. Looking at my 3G Watchdog stats it's usually below 150 megs.

In order to make sure you don't eat into your allowance without realising it install 3G Watchdog, and have a mobile internet toggle switch on your home screen and only turn it on when you need it. This'll also save power...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you tether your phone at all then 1GB will not be enough. I use wifi at home and at work and I still managed to use up 1.3Gb of 3g data

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How you use it, what times of sites, steaming etc will tot it up extremely quick. Just doing emails and some light browsing, 1gb is more than enough. Sticking to mobile versions of sites will make a big difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement