Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

Options
  • 16-11-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this? I read a really interesting piece in the Guardian today: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/16/american-stories-curtis-sittenfeld

I've been watching a lot of West Wing recently and this sounds quite interesting to see that world (although Republican) from another angle. However, I'm seeing a lot of comments like 'it's not chick lit', which makes me immediately suspicious that it actually really is chick lit with fancy literary boots on. Her other books sound like they would definitely appeal more to a female audience.

Just looking for an opinion, would a male audience (that would be me) enjoy this book? Or should i just go back and enjoy the remaining seasons of the West Wing instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I read this last year, it's alright, but fairly geared towards a female audience I would think.

If you're interested in US politics I'd recommend Race of a Lifetime: How Obama Won the White House by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann. I really enjoyed it, very worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Thanks for the confirmation and the recommendation. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

I read this about a year and a half ago. While not chick lit, I agree with the other poster, it's aimed towards a female audience. As far as i remember its very much about her life and her reaction to things, there wasnt a huge amount of actual politics in it. Light enough but still quite a good read.

Advertisement