Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a zyxel router in bridge mode with a digi web modem?

• 16-11-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

ive got a eircom zyxel router and want to use it for the wireless as the digiweb modem dont come with wireless. is it possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not recommended. You need a router with an Ethernet WAN port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If it's landline-based broadband that you have then can't you just replace the Digiweb device with the Eircom one (setup with the Digiweb account settings)?

Actually yes, if it's DSL then you can. If it's Metro, then you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

bhickey wrote: »
    If it's landline-based broadband that you have then can't you just replace the Digiweb device with the Eircom one (setup with the Digiweb account settings)?

digiweb metro mate, wireless

so its not a good idea to do this? is it even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

dazdrog wrote: »
    is it even possible?

If you disable everything on the Eircom router except the wireless (e.g. the WAN port, DHCP server, firewall etc.) and connect the Digiweb LAN to any of the ports 1-4 on the back of the Eircom router than that might work. So you'd be using the Eircom router like a wireless access point. Devices connecting via wireless should then be bridged straight to the Digiweb router. Does the Digiweb router do DHCP and all that stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I've done it before with a Zyxel HW660 just plugged the conection into Lan #1 and it bridged the connection automatically ( I think).

I done it ages ago so cant remember if I needed to take any specific steps.

But it defo works

I thought it was pretty clever actually

nelly17 wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clever actually

Not really. You're removing all routing functions and firewall. You'll only be able to connect one device, as it will be given a public IP address, not a LAN address. This is a very unwise, and very non-secure thing to do. Don't do it.
    bhickey wrote:
    Does the Digiweb router do DHCP and all that stuff?

As far as I know, it's not even a router.

jor el wrote: »
    Not really. You're removing all routing functions and firewall. You'll only be able to connect one device, as it will be given a public IP address, not a LAN address. This is a very unwise, and very non-secure thing to do. Don't do it.

As far as I know, it's not even a router.

Correct

balls to that anyway ha was worth a try, thanks for the replys

ah its not for me anyway, a mate got it in today so was tryin sort them a quick fix untill they got it sorted

will be takin up 12mb metro myself soon enough, so will be needin grab one meself. well thats once eircom cop on that they still havnt cut my broadband off, lines been cut off now 2-3 months and shes still goin fine! haha havnt seen a bill in 3 months

• Advertisement

dazdrog wrote: »
    haha havnt seen a bill in 3 months

You'll have to pay for that when they do realise.

You'll have to pay for that when they do realise.

ah i dont mind that as long as they dont try charge for none existent phone packages

Advertisement