Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff in Loughrea

Options
  • 16-11-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

I've got the opportunity of a free lift to Loughrea tomorrow.

So I thought I might do a public transport map map, like I've done previously for Clarinbridge and Oranmore.

Where are the big employers and interesting places
    - I know there's a veterinary pharma place outside the town somewhere - can any point to it on a map?
    - And there's an ag training place?
    - Any other industrial estates / business parks lurking around the edges?

Also looking for the location of
    - schools,
    - garda station,
    - post-office,
    - library,
    - churches,
    - sports clubs
    - taxi office
    - cemetery
    and any other public facilities people might want to look up.

(I've been googling this afternoon, quite surprised at how little location info I could find: in most towns at least the schools and GAA have maps on their websites.)

And of course the bus stop! - do Healy's use the same one as Bus Éireann? Do they stop elsewhere in town too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Right, I'll give it a lash sure

Big employer is Chanelle in the IDA Business Park on the east side of town, as you are looking at Google maps, the entrance to the business park is labelled "Dublin Rd" and has an R446 sign on it. There is also a retail park of sorts next to the business park.

The Supervalu/Aldi complex is on the west side of town between the Athenry Road and the housing estate called Ti Na Ri.

The mart and a number of businesses are on the section of Station Road that runs north/south.

The ag training place that I think you are referring to is now the county council offices, next to the lakeside where the Gort Road meets Barrack Street, with the courthouse situated on the Fairgreen (and I've just noticed, Google maps is actually wrong here, there's a road missing!)

Garda Station is on Barrack St, across from Kelly's St. Post office is on Main St, across the road from Brogans Pharmacy.

Library is on Church St (and indeed, is in the actual old Protestant church). Cathedral is on Barrack St across from Piggott's St, the Abbey is on Abbey St (or the junction of, as seen on Google Maps).

GAA pitch is across from Fortlands Meadow on Dublin Road, tennis club is on Gort Road, right at the lake, rugby club is 1/4 mile out Bullaun Road.

Taxi office is in your pocket - there's no office!

Cemeteries on the Hill, opposite Baunouge and at the Abbey.

Healy's pick up in a few different spots I think, mainly along the old Dublin - Galway run through the town.

Enjoy the day, hope the weather improves for you and have fun in the town. Hit Hope's for lunch and if anyone asks do you think the town will win this weekend, say "Sure why wouldn't we?" or "Not if that shower call it off again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

These aren't on your list but might be a few more of what you're thinking of:

Social Welfare office is on Bride Street (lot of people need it these days :( )

Fire Station is directly across from the Garda Station on Barrack St.

There's a playground right next door to the tennis club on the Gort Road.

I'm not at a computer till tomorrow, but when i get to it, i'll try pinpoint the places on a map for you.

Advertisement