Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety/Speed Cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

YAY! I saw my first speed camera van! :eek:

The van was parked last nite at 2.15am one mile from Ballyheane on the Castlebar side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Van parked at school in Partry around 40mins ago. Seems to be a garda van rather than a private van

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I passed one on the Castlebar-Westport road on Sunday. I was in a line of traffic cruising along the straight stretch just past Cosgrave's petrol station at around 90km/h, when suddenly everyone was braking and slowing down to 60km/h. I figured someone must be making a right turn ahead, but no: camera van.

That sort of idiocy really, really annoys the hell out of me. I mean, seriously: who slows down from 90 to 60 in a 100 zone when they see a speed camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I passed one on the Castlebar-Westport road on Sunday. I was in a line of traffic cruising along the straight stretch just past Cosgrave's petrol station at around 90km/h, when suddenly everyone was braking and slowing down to 60km/h. I figured someone must be making a right turn ahead, but no: camera van.

That sort of idiocy really, really annoys the hell out of me. I mean, seriously: who slows down from 90 to 60 in a 100 zone when they see a speed camera?

Some roads are badly marked when it comes to speed signs ...

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Some roads are badly marked when it comes to speed signs ...
    It's National Primary Route 5. It's a 100km/h speed limit. I'd question the competence of anyone driving that stretch who doesn't know what the speed limit is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

It's National Primary Route 5. It's a 100km/h speed limit. I'd question the competence of anyone driving that stretch who doesn't know what the speed limit is.

I dont know the road in question :)

But here in galway by the airport where the speedvans seem to exist
    the speed limit is 60 (apparently) but some think the road is 80, and some go much faster since its a fairly straight and wide road with wide shoulders...

what pisses me off is that they put these vans on the safest widest stretch of the road in question whole a few kilometers up the road the road is narrow, potholes and bendy (unsafe in other words)

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    ...But here in galway by the airport where the speedvans seem to exist
    the speed limit is 60 (apparently) but some think the road is 80, and some go much faster since its a fairly straight and wide road with wide shoulders...
    I know that road - a 60km/h speed limit there is farcical. But then, that seems to be par for the course in Galway (50km/h on the urban dual carriageways, anyone?).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Spotted it twice now,

Last Sunday at 9.30am parked between the Corrib Oil filling station and Sweeney filling station facing Westport, just on the flat, so anyone ploughing up that hilly stretch will get nailed.

Then on the right hand side past Shaws garden centre, parked on the entrance to a landfill site at about 4pm.
    The guy who owns the entrance to that site said it won't happen again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But then, that seems to be par for the course in Galway (50km/h on the urban dual carriageways, anyone?).

OT
    From My time in Galway.......... over Quincentenial Bridge has a lower speed limit as it was a decision made by Galway City Council, they didn't want it classed as the cities official ring-road. They wanted to zone more land in future. The Gardai wanted it 60MPH at the time but got overruled, hence they seldom check for speed there. The bridge is well fit for 60MPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Just passed a speed van a couple of hundred yards the Ballyheane side of the Derrywash turn off on the left hand side travelling towards Ballinrobe. You'd be around the bend before you'd see it although an oncoming car nearly blew his headlights warning me about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any idea of them van can get u from both the front and back of the van?

Long stretch into Longford this morning coming from home and I spotted a flash off in the distance, never copped it was a speed van until I was up on top of it.
    66 in a 60, I am sure I have been nabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

yop wrote: »
    Spotted it twice now,

Last Sunday at 9.30am parked between the Corrib Oil filling station and Sweeney filling station facing Westport, just on the flat, so anyone ploughing up that hilly stretch will get nailed.

Then on the right hand side past Shaws garden centre, parked on the entrance to a landfill site at about 4pm.
    The guy who owns the entrance to that site said it won't happen again ;)

Don't know if it's the same one but on Subday at 13.30 the gatso garda van was parked at Sweeneys Garage in Ballyvary facing Castebar in the 60 km zone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

You'd be awful unlucky to get done for that

You'd be awful unlucky to get done for that

Aye, we will see what happens. I think I spotted a flash.

How long does it take for the letters to be sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 isainmdom

the speed vans since they started up havent left the belmullet barnatra locations for any real length of time,the two lads in the van were in the shop the last day and they had caught a total of 2 people speeding in ballina the day before,they come to belmullet and had a total of 22 in the morning alone,so dont think they will be venturing to far with all the heavy right footers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

isainmdom wrote: »
    the speed vans since they started up havent left the belmullet barnatra locations for any real length of time,the two lads in the van were in the shop the last day and they had caught a total of 2 people speeding in ballina the day before,they come to belmullet and had a total of 22 in the morning alone,so dont think they will be venturing to far with all the heavy right footers

fish in a barrel.

I reckon if they went on the newport - castlebar , they would catch loads, the amount of people who think thats an National secondary road and has a 100kmh limit is huge. its only a Regional road so the speed limit is 80kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the_shark

jaysus that wasnt very professional of them handing out information on the numbers they were catching.i think their cute enough though,they seem to be well set up for the 6pm 'rush hour' of people starting or finishing work down on the gas terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭tommy gun

Any idea of them van can get u from both the front and back of the van?

Long stretch into Longford this morning coming from home and I spotted a flash off in the distance, never copped it was a speed van until I was up on top of it.

Just wondering if you heard anything bout this as i got nabbed yesterday and today doin 66 in a 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

tommy gun wrote: »
    Just wondering if you heard anything bout this as i got nabbed yesterday and today doin 66 in a 60.

You got caught twice???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

There was a Garda Speed camera set up on Cathedral road yesterday morning, opposite the Abbey in a Garda patrol car. It was set up in the back window and the car was unattended. That's a fast road and on a Saturday morning I am sure they nabbed a few people going over 30.

Hopefully it may deter reckless speeding in the town environs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭tommy gun

-Corkie- wrote: »
    You got caught twice???:eek:

Different spots in sligo yesterday.
    Bloody donegal today comin home.
    Was doin round 65 ish.

tommy gun wrote: »

If u saw the flash expect the letter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Safety Van on the Neale Road at 8am. Parked on the Ballinrobe side just before Cross. White van with all the stickers
    The Speed Camera signs went up on Monday so I was expecting to see the van at some stage this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

statto25 wrote: »
    Safety Van on the Neale Road at 8am. Parked on the Ballinrobe side just before Cross. White van with all the stickers
    The Speed Camera signs went up on Monday so I was expecting to see the van at some stage this week.

a speed camera sign on the westport rd as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

The van was out on the Castlebar-Ballinrobe road today just ouside ballyheane on the ballintubber side. How many of these f**kin vans are there?!

Going to Galway yesterday, there was one in Ballyheane and outside Tuam on Galway side, coming home there was one on the Milltown side of Tuam, now it definitely flashed but I was doing less than 60mph so I couldn't have been done for speeding!!!

What do people think about "flashing" your lights at cars to warn them, should it be done?

What do people think about "flashing" your lights at cars to warn them, should it be done?
    It could get you in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

where were they from ?
    were they irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The van was out on the Castlebar-Ballinrobe road today just ouside ballyheane on the ballintubber side. How many of these f**kin vans are there?!

It was there yesterday as well:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It could get you in trouble.

I thought I had heard about that. Someone flashed an un-marked car or something?

If they don't do fishbowl "trapping" I think it can only reduce the speed of people and the road deaths. Time will tell, I have to say it frustrated the s!It out of me on my weekly trips to Dublin BUT I have got used to it now and outside of the motorway I am staying in or about the 104kmph (The speed is on my sat nav) and I just set it on my cruise control.

Advertisement