Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety/Speed Cameras

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Faunglass

Don t think "flashing" should get you in trouble.Isn t the whole exercise to get people to slow down .

PERHAPS IT S TO COLLECT FINES INSTEAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

It was there yesterday as well:rolleyes:

It was there again @ 12 on the Castlebar side of Ballyheane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

statto25 wrote: »
    It was there again @ 12 on the Castlebar side of Ballyheane

I saw it there as well. On my return journey there was an unmarked 10 KY van parked in the dip between Ballintubber and Ballyheane. It had a camera sign on its back door. It was a dark colour and did not have the safety stripes that the official ones have. The camera was visible on top. I have not seen that colour of van before:eek:
    The "official" one was gone !!!!!

I saw it there as well. On my return journey there was an unmarked 10 KY van parked in the dip between Ballintubber and Ballyheane. It had a camera sign on its back door. It was a dark colour and did not have the safety stripes that the official ones have. The camera was visible on top. I have not seen that colour of van before:eek:

I reckon people are copping on to the white van so they decided to make a change. This also means there are now two in operation in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've seen the same type of van in Roscommon. If they are supposed to be for road safety as opposed to just revenue making, then using obscured colours like this would suggest that they are purely for money making as you don't see them until you are very close up to them (or unless some nice driver on the other side of the road flashes you to let you know there's cameras up ahead).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The navy small transit was sitting outside Westport there yesterday morning at 6.30am, zero markings on it, the KY reg and the device on the top of the roof and the fact it was sitting in the same spot as the marked vans.

As above don't mind if they are there to slow people down but a totally unmarked van is a bit of a pointer towards money maker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yop wrote: »
    The navy small transit was sitting outside Westport there yesterday morning at 6.30am, zero markings on it, the KY reg and the device on the top of the roof and the fact it was sitting in the same spot as the marked vans.

As above don't mind if they are there to slow people down but a totally unmarked van is a bit of a pointer towards money maker

the unmarked safety vans are not allowed issue fines, they are only there to monitor the speed of the traffic.
    What will the safety cameras look like?

On a phased basis, GoSafe will provide 6,000 enforcement hours and 1,475 survey hours per month across the country. For the 6,000 enforcement hours, the cameras will operate from vans which will be marked with high visibility reflective material and will display a safety camera symbol. Images of the vans are available on the Garda website – www.garda.ie.

The survey hours will be conducted from unmarked vans, in order to accurately observe and record the speeds at which vehicles are currently travelling, for survey purposes only.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    the unmarked safety vans are not allowed issue fines, they are only there to monitor the speed of the traffic.
    Not much to survey at 6am on a Sunday morning on the Westport to Cbar except me doing 45mph with a van full of papers! :)

He must have been bored senseless!

Not much to survey at 6am on a Sunday morning on the Westport to Cbar except me doing 45mph with a van full of papers! :)

He must have been bored senseless!

he is getting paid regardless, he was more than lightly afraid of someone was going to set the van on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That sort of idiocy really, really annoys the hell out of me. I mean, seriously: who slows down from 90 to 60 in a 100 zone when they see a speed camera?

It is like the idiots who refuse to pass a Garda car even when he is going well below speed limit. :rolleyes:
    Any idea of them van can get u from both the front and back of the van?

Long stretch into Longford this morning coming from home and I spotted a flash off in the distance, never copped it was a speed van until I was up on top of it.
    66 in a 60, I am sure I have been nabbed.

Did you get done for that ?
    Is that the stretch in by Longford Towns ground.

You do know the Guards hide on one of the ramps over looking the road after Tarmonbarry heading towards the old road and Rooskey road junction ?

What's the use of the vans like in Roscommon ?
    Are they hiding out anywhere near Frenchpark ?
    Don't know if it's the same one but on Subday at 13.30 the gatso garda van was parked at Sweeneys Garage in Ballyvary facing Castebar in the 60 km zone

Isn't that one of their old spots where they used to catch people booting past the village, speed changes around railway bridge.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

What I disagree with most is the parking of these vans on good, long, stretches of roads with good history of having very few accidents. Most accidents on these roads happen on corners and the Gatso vans don't operate on corners.

Then, mixed with the fact that you could build the best road in the world and maintain it to the standard of a motorway but depending on it's class of road, will dictate the speed limit. When these idiots get out of their offices and set speed limits appropriate to the condition of the road, then the rules will be easier to follow.

The road to my house from Westport town has an 80km/h speed limit and I have been close to having several serious accidents on corners with other vehicles when both of us are travelling at less than <40km/h.
    fish in a barrel.

I reckon if they went on the newport - castlebar , they would catch loads, the amount of people who think thats an National secondary road and has a 100kmh limit is huge. its only a Regional road so the speed limit is 80kmh.
    Wow, I didn't know that? Well in that case, I've never ever drove at the speed limit on that road. Ridiculous rules really. The westport to castlebar road as a 20km/h greater speed limit and is far more dangerous at the best of times.
    statto25 wrote: »
    speed / money making Van on the Neale Road at 8am. .
    FYP :P
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    It could get you in trouble.
    Is it really that illegal though? I'm not sure of the laws surrounding this. But is a Gatso regarded as "law enforcement"? And if not, then merely you are only committing an offence of causing inconvenience to other motorists (maybe careless/dangerous driving). In court, you could argue that motorists were slowing down dangerously for the Gatso van and you were warning them of an immediate danger ahead... I'm pretty sure there's loopholes there.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Wow, I didn't know that?
    Um. The 80km/h speed limit is posted on the way out of both Castlebar and Newport. You're supposed to know that that's the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Yellow van parked just before corrib oil garage on way into westport sunday afternoon, i was trying to figure out what the queue of traffic was for, and realised idiots were slamming on their brakes just before the van going down to 50/60kph on a road that's 100! It's bound to cause an accident if people act like headless chickens panicking when they see a van, use your common sense or someone will get hurt!

Was in a line of traffic that did it. Awful bunch of apes don't seem to realize that at that stage they are nabbed if they are going too fast! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

There's a red one around as well,saw it outside Tuam on the Claremorris side. There seems to be a s&tload of them and they're always on straight stretches as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

There's a red one around as well,saw it outside Tuam on the Claremorris side. There seems to be a s&tload of them and they're always on straight stretches as well.

On the straight stretches you say, seems strange for " safety " cameras to be on the safe stretches of road. There must be a dangerous bend near by, because afterall they are here for our " Safety "

Could I sound any more sarcastic? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

There was one of these speed camera vans on the Sligo Road heading out of Ballina this morning (6:30am)...just after the speed goes up from 60 to 100km/hr...even if you had a Ferrari it would be difficult to reach 100km/hr in time! :)
    Who is it that thinks of the locations??? Numpties!!! :D

Paul4As wrote: »
    There was one of these speed camera vans on the Sligo Road heading out of Ballina this morning (6:30am)...just after the speed goes up from 60 to 100km/hr...even if you had a Ferrari it would be difficult to reach 100km/hr in time! :)
    Who is it that thinks of the locations??? Numpties!!! :D

perhaps they were aiming for the people who failed to slow down from 100 to 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

perhaps they were aiming for the people who failed to slow down from 100 to 60.

They were on the same side as me...as in the side going from Ballina to Sligo...just over the hill where you reach the kind of wide overtaking area road, where they sell strawberries in the summer.
    The 60 zone is back over the hill...not visible to the camera.
    Had two cars flash at me so I guessed a van was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

in barnatra today onleft hand side going from barnatra to belmullett
    not much signage on van
    but camera looking out of the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

There was a yellow one outside ballyheane on the castlebar side yesterday.

There was a yellow one outside ballyheane on the castlebar side yesterday.

Same van parked between Ballintubber and Ballyheane right now

Advertisement