Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Gallon Extract Recipe

• 16-11-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have a simple one gallon extract recipe that would be good for a beginner to test the waters with before forking out for all the extract kit, like a full size boiler etc

I was hoping for something along the lines of a nice hoppy pale ale.

Would the following be okay

500g Light DME

25G Cascade 60 mins
    15g Cascade 30 mins
    5g Cascade 5 mins

Is 500g DME enough? Should I be using more than one hop variety or is all cascade okay?

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

that look like a lot of hops for a very small batch...in a 5 gal batch you use approx 100 g hops so 1/5 of that shout lead to 20 g all in for a1gal batch but you can use www.beertools.com to help you make the recipie see you need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

The recipe you have proposed will give you an OG of 1.043, which is OK, but on the weak side for an APA.

If you were to steep 100g of crystal malt and add the resultant wort to the boil, it would boost the OG by a few points and add some flavour complexity.

The hops are a bit over the top though. Taking Cascade to be 5.5% Alpha Acid (the current value on TheHomeBrewCompany.ie) that works out at about 120 IBU. The upper limit for the human ability to taste bitterness is 100 IBU.

I would suggest something like this:

60 Min: 5g Cascade
    20 Min: 10g Cascade
    5 Min: 10g Cascade
    0 Min: 10g Cascade

That will give you a 36 IBU beer, which is the lower end of the bittering scale for an APA. The late hops will give you tonnes of hop flavour and aroma.

Dialling up the 60 minute hops to 10g will give you 55 IBU, which right at the bitter end of the scale for this kind of beer.

To get a bittering level in-between those two, leave the 60 minute hops at 5g and increment to 20 minute hops. Every 5g increment will add about 5 IBU.

I did all of these calculations using ProMash, but as poitinstill suggested, BeerTools will help, as would BeerSmith, or Beer Engine. Beer Engine has the advantage of being free.

Advertisement