Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staff in sandwich bar?

• 16-11-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Can anyone tel me who is over the staff in the sandwich bar?

I have NEVER ever anywhere in my met staff as rude and obnixious as the women in there. Besides the fact I have to wait for them to stop talking to serve me, or the fact when i ask for it they scowl what really pissed me off is that I was in a queue to get a sandwich. The guy in front of me orders a wrap to be toasted, no problem. She puts it in the grill, turns to me me asking what would i like. I said a toasted sandwich, she then turns and says "Its just turned 2 so we don't toast them after that" and asked if i want a reg sandwich. I told her where to stick it.

Anyone else notice the service in here? The canteen, shop, coffee dock all the staff are grand (Canteen can have it moments usually trying to overcharge) but other than that ok.

I dont get wraps anymore as im just sick of them. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

with regards the canteen "overcharging" it's generally a case that they undercharge a lot, then when you're paying full whack you think you're being overcharged :P Although, I'm sure it sometimes happens that you could be overcharged, mistakes happen.

I'm pretty sure the guy in the white coat that's often wandering around the coffee dock, canteen, Java City is over the various staff there. I thought the "Sandwich Bar" was the coffee dock?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mrking wrote: »
    Can anyone tel me who is over the staff in the sandwich bar?

I have NEVER ever anywhere in my met staff as rude and obnixious as the women in there. Besides the fact I have to wait for them to stop talking to serve me, or the fact when i ask for it they scowl what really pissed me off is that I was in a queue to get a sandwich. The guy in front of me orders a wrap to be toasted, no problem. She puts it in the grill, turns to me me asking what would i like. I said a toasted sandwich, she then turns and says "Its just turned 2 so we don't toast them after that" and asked if i want a reg sandwich. I told her where to stick it.

Anyone else notice the service in here? The canteen, shop, coffee dock all the staff are grand (Canteen can have it moments usually trying to overcharge) but other than that ok.

I dont get wraps anymore as im just sick of them. :(

There's always Londis across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the guy in the white coat that's often wandering around the coffee dock, canteen, Java City is over the various staff there.

That would be Robert Duffy, the Catering Operations Manager. I don't think he's actually wandering, but I know what you mean ;)

Sorry, "working between/managing" would be a better phrase :P

There's always Londis across the road.

Well in fairness, they are supposed to be there to offer a service. If they're not willing to do it right, why do it at all? It won't be changed until someone complains or a large boycott occurs. I doubt the boycott would happen.

This is a bit of a generalisation, but a lot of students are too busy/lazy to vote with their feet and head across the road.
    Better yet, bring in your own sandwich ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Ive noticed this aswell. I find the canteen till workers very rude too sometimes.

You think they act bad when asking for a wrap try asking for a smoothie that takes more than 5 seconds to make :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Which till workers? All of them or some of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

I agree the "ladies" of the Coffee Dock are somewhat chatty among themselves, and from previous SCA experience Robert isn't exactly the best person to direct complaints to. We asked if we could use an oven or hob to do some cooking for our first feast and he flaked out on us.

As for the ignorance situation, say it to them! Let them know you're not happy.
    And that spiel about not toasting after two? The ****in thing would still be warm at least!! I worked in sandwich shops where people would wander in at about five to six when I was cleaning up before closing and I'd still toast stuff for them.

But even after all that, I will not hear a bad word said against Liz!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

vinamax wrote: »

I competly agree with you!

What would the problem have been with using the kitchen? I rememeber something a couple of years ago that there was some event on that is not celebrated by Irish students and the canteen were asked if the kitchen could be used after working hours, and for the life of me I cant remember if they did or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Liz FTW! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

That would have been Chinese New Year.

We just needed one ****ing hob or oven for a few bits to be heated up. It's just lucky that I lived in Willow View at the time so most stuff could be done there and run back over.

The standard of the food is as good as most of the staff. I only eat there cause my boyfriend beats me if I don't eat : P JOKING!!!!!!
    As they used to say in Monaghan,

If ya were in Biafra you'd eat it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Mrking wrote: »
    I have NEVER ever anywhere in my met staff as rude and obnoxious as the women in there.

I find that to be common Irish customer service. I was in easons twice in the past month and both times the conversation between the girls on the checkout took prescient over me, there was no hello, no thank you, no goodbye nothing !!! Now I take my $$$ elsewhere :D I suggest you do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I find that to be common Irish customer service. I was in easons twice in the past month and both times the conversation between the girls on the checkout took prescient over me, there was no hello, no thank you, no goodbye nothing !!! Now I take my $$$ elsewhere :D I suggest you do the same.
    Hmmm that's very unusual, the staff in easons are usually nice and friendly. Maybe you went in there at the wrong time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Hmmm that's very unusual, the staff in easons are usually nice and friendly. Maybe you went in there at the wrong time :)

So it my fault that they can't be professional all the time :D hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

<3 LIZ. That woman is so nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

My apologies for resurrecting a dormant thread, but I feel like enough is enough and I have to say something...
    The majority of the canteen staff are lovely, very professional, sound as a pound and a pleasure to deal with, however that is not what this post is about. For too long I have been ordering food only for it to come out as a variation of what I wanted originally.

When I saw I only want a few chips (as a side) I do not want you to cover the whole plate in them, looking at me with a smirk when I ask for more food (like the lasagne).

When I order something half complicated like a Roll or Wrap from the sandwich bar, please for the love of god listen to my whole order and don't do a half arsed attempt, I'm paying you to provide a service. I am kind enough to list out my ingredients one by one as you are putting them on, please do not look at me going 'is that it, just butter....is that it, just butter and ketchup' etc. you're throwing my patience back into my face and to be honest its not really that nice. When I saw I want things as TAKE AWAY it means WRAPPED UP, not handed to me quartered on a plate without a damn in the world (please don't get annoyed with me when I insist you take it back and wrap it, I asked for it that way from the very start...you just didn't listen to me).

When I HAND you the money to pay for the shadow of what I ordered, please show me the same courtesy and hand the change back into my open palm and not just slam it down on the counter. Funny how whenever I decide to do it, I get met with dagger eyes and a frosty reception from the very people who did it to me in the first place.

As I've said before, this post is only as a result of a select few, there are a few lovely ladies down in the canteen and I'd hate to paint them all with the same brush. However I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while and I feel its something that needs saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

@Uberbeamerman and others, in fairness, who are you talking to? Stand up for yourselves at the time, not whine about it online afterwards.

druidhill wrote: »
    @Uberbeamerman and others, in fairness, who are you talking to? Stand up for yourselves at the time, not whine about it online afterwards.

I do,

please don't get annoyed with me when I insist you take it back and wrap it, I asked for it that way from the very start...you just didn't listen to me

Funny how whenever I decide to do it, I get met with dagger eyes and a frosty reception from the very people who did it to me in the first place

but then all I get is a sour face...now I spare my breath and just walk away :) (Just said I'd say it on the AIT forum as it is an AIT issue and I don't think I'm the only one that it irks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Eat in the canteen almost everyday and have never experienced any of this! Always get what I asked for etc

Just to clarify, I was talking about the sandwich bars and not really the main hot food section (but it was a point I wanted to make all the same)....in the case of the sandwich bar in the main canteen its almost impossible to get anything wrapped up (say if you're going up to a lecture in the engineering building) they just don't listen....they always cut whatever it is you're having in half (even if its a fart of a ciabatta) and give it to you on a plate.

The other day I asked for a wrap. In this wrap I wanted several bits and bobs from the selection. I said I'd be nice and list things out one by one for the person serving me as they're assembling the wrap (make life easy for them)...the other day I was told in a fairly impatient voice to just c'mon and list out what I wanted, so I did.....and I did again....and again (omitting an ingredient each time as she kept having to be reminded)....I eventually got what I wanted.

As regards the exchange of money issue, it always takes place in the other sandwich bar (where you get the smoothies). It just one of these things that really gets under my skin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I've never had a problem with any of them but I always avoid Mrs Snuffleupagus on the till who always times her coughs and sneezes when your food is in front of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Accounting89

No sure who liz is, but there's one lady who works on tills with really curly short hair, she is by far, above and beyond the most pleasent person who works in the whole of AIT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Oh yes that lady is lovely. I don't know her name though.

Advertisement