Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 euro budget, new rig

Options
  • 16-11-2010 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've got to build a new machine over the next month or so. Our total budget for this project is 600 euro in total. The machine will be running Windows 7, we should be able to get a student copy of this though the price of this will have to be factored into the price. Tha machine will be used for general purposes and for some gaming

Any and all help would be appreciated. We're looking for a machine with a big chassis as we would like to have scope to upgrade as funds permit over the next couple of years so that the machine remains current. I've been looking around the various hardware sellers and the choice is a little overwhelming for me atm, so any questions or comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks

bert

P.s I'm working nights atm so please bear with me if I don't respond that quickly

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Do you need a monitor, mouse, keyboard etc?

What monitor resolution

What will be the primary purpose of the computer? (Gaming, Photoshop, 3D video editing, normal internet/office stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

deconduo wrote: »
    Do you need a monitor, mouse, keyboard etc?

What monitor resolution

What will be the primary purpose of the computer? (Gaming, Photoshop, 3D video editing, normal internet/office stuff)

heya, thanks for the reply. we could get away with a bog standard keyboard and mouse so I think we'll get those new as they would be cheap enough.

We'd be able to get an old CRT monitor (for free) and get by with that with a view to upgrading it in the new year at some stage to a flat panel when funds permit if that would make a major difference to what we could get initially. Was thinking somewhere along the lines of a 22" monitor if we were to get a monitor now.

The machine would mainly be used for normal internet/office stuff and also gaming so a nice gfx card and a good bit of RAM would be useful.

bert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Do you fancy building it yourself or would you prefer to get a pre-built one?

Do you have any qualms ordering from Germany or do you want to order from Ireland/UK only?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Looking at building something on a similar budget myself and having looked at the price Vs. performance of intel cpu's the best bang for buck seems to be the i5 760.

Using that as a starting point you should be able to build a decent rig within your budget.

invest4deepvalue.com

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Do you fancy building it yourself or would you prefer to get a pre-built one?

Do you have any qualms ordering from Germany or do you want to order from Ireland/UK only?

I'd be perfectly happy to order from Germany, and I'd be comfortable building it myself (I've done a lot of upgrading of computers in the past, but never a full build). There's just so much choice and I don't want to end up with incompatabible parts

juzsc3.jpg

Do-More I had a look on hardwareversand and came up with something like the above, that's without a graphics card (I still need to pick one). Also without a monitor I would use the old CRT in the above case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that case is more than you need and also doesn't have a power supply which you haven't specced

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Even after factoring in the PSU you could save a fair bit by choosing a more reasonably priced case. You might find that you could save a little on the hard drive as well.

Thanks for the comments all

K I must have had a moment of madness with that case that I had picked out. I've rejigged a few things and added a different case, psu and a gfx card.Also reduced the hdd to save a few euros to put toward the gfx card. Here's what I'm looking at now:

30bib5y.jpg

I played around with it some more and swapped out a few bits to try and bring it further into budget (Basically changed the processor and the motherboad), here is where I'm at now

i3e2yc.jpg

Links to individual parts:

4GB-Kit GEIL Value Plus PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9

Samsung SH-222A bare schwarz IDE

Foxconn interner Card Reader 8,9 cm (3,5") USB 2.0 bulk schwarz

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W

Palit GTX460 1GB Sonic, 1GB DDR5, PCI-Express

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch

Special item: Cooler Master Elite RC-333 schwarz, ohne Netzteil

Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 500GB SATA II, Western Digital5000AADS

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Box, 95W, Sockel AM3

ASRock M3A770DE, Sockel AM3, ATX

So couple of questions on these, Anything i should be spending more on? Am I missing anything glaringly obvious here? Can anyone see any compatability issues with the choices I've made here? Want to be sure before I hit buy :D

Thanks all,

bert

Advertisement