Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza would leave your pockets in pieces

Options
  • 16-11-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Just got this text from Four Star - 14 inch pizza, chicken dippers, wedges, 3(praise the lord!) dips, garlic pizza bread, 1.25 coke - 19.95€. Can't believe people are still buying these crazy offers - though maybe they are not based on the latest news surrounding Four Star and rumoured receivership. What is the worst deal you've seen lately for pizza?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Thats not bad value imo. Food and drink (albeit junk)for 2-3 people delivered fresh & hot to your door for 20 blips.

What would you consider a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Il agree here on pizzas in general. After moving to germany I cant understand how its so expensive. I can get me a LAAAARGE(were talking 4 stars biggest and then some) pizza in a restaurant for about 7 euro.

However the 4 star meal deals arent bad value at all. Just too bad about the pizzas taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I started makin them myself, not too bad either.

If you have a knack for it. My flatmate made one before and it wasnt the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

yep - four star are in examinership. (still trading)

Don't forget the €19.95 includes "free" delivery. - Now show me a delivery person who works for nothing!!!!!

Goodfellas - made in naas (supporting Irish jobs) - 1.64 in tesco (on offer), add a couple of extra toppings, & 10 mins in oven. yum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

It's worth learning to make them at home yourself, the ingredients cost around €1.50 for a large pizza and then you have the added benefit of using fresh ingredients. It might take a few goes but once you get it right you'll never go near dominos/apache/etc ever again. Homecooked pizza = win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Pizza's in Ireland cost a bomb! Large pizza in Spain €6.00. That's eating in!

Originally Posted by Patricide
    If you have a knack for it. My flatmate made one before and it wasnt the best.

It takes a bit of practice and some will be nicer than others but still more consistent than any ordered in ones. Around €2 euro for a 13 or 14 inch one.
    It's worth learning to make them at home yourself, the ingredients cost around €1.50 for a large pizza and then you have the added benefit of using fresh ingredients. It might take a few goes but once you get it right you'll never go near dominos/apache/etc ever again. Homecooked pizza = win

Yes 100%, a few goes at refining it and never order them after that.
    I just looked it up on the net and had a go. Took a bit of experimenting but very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'd say those delivery pizza companies are quite expensive to run so the comparison with restaurants in Germany and Spain aren't valid. Looking at the Dominos in Rathmines, there are so many delivery drivers there, it beggars belief. I'd imagine that getting it to your door in 30 minutes costs more than making the pizza. It's why picking up a pizza yourself is usually half the price.

I think though that some eat-in pizza places are then basing their prices on the delivery prices. The likes of Cafe Bar Del just charge ridiculous prices.

This place in London seems to win awards and get good reviews and is useful to see how much eat in pizza in a restaurant can cost

http://www.francomanca.co.uk/brixton.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If the companies are making so much money, how come 4 star is bollixed????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hayzooz

wyndham wrote: »
    Thats not bad value imo. Food and drink (albeit junk)for 2-3 people delivered fresh & hot to your door for 20 blips.

What would you consider a fair price?

JAYSUS CHRIST

The Irish stupidity lives on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My local Irish owned convenience store sells a 12inch pizza made fresh with cheese, tomato and 3 toppings of your choice for €3.50. really fresh toppings, big strips of chicken breast or bacon or pepperoni from their deli, not small little rubber prepacked crap.
    They will also cook it there for you if you want - can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

tommy21 wrote: »
    Just got this text from Four Star - 14 inch pizza, chicken dippers, wedges, 3(praise the lord!) dips, garlic pizza bread, 1.25 coke - 19.95€. Can't believe people are still buying these crazy offers - though maybe they are not based on the latest news surrounding Four Star and rumoured receivership. What is the worst deal you've seen lately for pizza?

About on par with Germany, 20 euros for Just about the same Deal with Dominos, with only a plain 14' Cheese Pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

My local Irish owned convenience store sells a 12inch pizza made fresh with cheese, tomato and 3 toppings of your choice for €3.50. really fresh toppings, big strips of chicken breast or bacon or pepperoni from their deli, not small little rubber prepacked crap.
    They will also cook it there for you if you want - can't beat it.

think we've established that it's the delivery cost that makes up alot of the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Centra sell a brilliant 12" pizza with 3 toppings and a 1.25l bottle of coke for €5. Can't beat that.

think we've established that it's the delivery cost that makes up alot of the cost

Yes and the fact that pizza delivery places are more or less exclusively pizza shops compared to centra etc.

About on par with Germany, 20 euros for Just about the same Deal with Dominos, with only a plain 14' Cheese Pizza
    I dont know one person in germany who eats dominos. There pizzas suck and are really expensive. There's hardly any around the place either.

Mcdonalds is also the same price over here. I dunno why but a lot of people still eat there, however it seems to be more like a once a month treat than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The main "tenant" of most of the places is the company itself, so if a shop doesn't make enough profit, the company pays the rest of the rent. Adding to that, the company recently expanded, with 40 shops, I think, which can take it's toll. Added to that, Dominos took in 16% more sales this year than last, and the recession making people spend less, can't be helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Making my own pizza has been on my To-Do list for ages.... gonna give it a try this weekend :)

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Making my own pizza has been on my To-Do list for ages.... gonna give it a try this weekend :)

Dont be put off if not perfect first time, i find a baking tray with holes in it not bad for them, i used to use one with no holes but the pizza base sticks to them more as the moisture gets trapped. Pizza stone best of all but i have not bothered using one so far. I usually part cook the base before putting topping on as well, so cheese not over cooked, but experimentation is the way.

I looked around the net for the ingredients etc,

here is a site to start off,
    http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/mains/pizza/
    I did`t bother making the tomatoe sauce bit, used pizza sauce from tesco, and sometimes used dolmio bolonese sauce too.
    And plenty of mezerella cheese, lidl is cheap for that, the cheese can be the dearest part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ahh but nobody did say they were making much, they are charging a lot. I rarely would get takeaway pizza, and would NEVER pay the ridiculous menu price. I have said it in bargain alerts many times, "half price" IS normal price, there is almost always BOGOF or half price, many times you just have to ask for it on the phone with no voucher.

I am not surprised at them going bust, there are loads out there now, everybody has a golden goose and is trying to cash in. Most are pretty empty when I go by, and I have heard it said fast food places do well in recessions, McDonalds is full whenever I go in, my local Chinese(s) are always full and the phone is going non stop.
    Other takeaways charge the same for delivery but far less for the food on an ingredients basis, many pizza places have "walk in discounts" this in effect is the delivery cost.

If my local Chinese did a 12" pizza on the exact same profit margins as my kung po chicken & noodles then I expect it would be less than 1/4 the price that 4-star charge.

Pizza prices are like the emporers new clothes, many are sucked in with these "deals", but perhaps now they are copping on.

Chicago town takeaway pizza is amazing, and a very decent size. Tesco do a chicago town with 6x330ml bottle of stella for €6, this offer has been on for a long time and ends 31/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Tesco have packets of pizza base mix that come out really well with an extra drop of olive oil. You bake the base, then add toppings and put it in a while longer. You can be really creative and with a bit of practice you can have them coming out really nice.

Dominos is still nice once in a while, though. One deal they have thats definitely worth it is the two for tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Elsewhere, pizza is cheap food. In Canada, a large pizza costs the equivalent of 7 euro. You can buy large slices in pizza places for a dollar (or 71 euro cents).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Patricide wrote: »
    I dont know one person in germany who eats dominos. There pizzas suck and are really expensive. There's hardly any around the place either.

Mcdonalds is also the same price over here. I dunno why but a lot of people still eat there, however it seems to be more like a once a month treat than anything else.

Same in Holland too. Dominos is a rip, but so is Four Star.
    Same model with half price being the normal price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Centra sell a brilliant 12" pizza with 3 toppings and a 1.25l bottle of coke for €5. Can't beat that.

Really? That's outstanding value. Pizza is never worth more than half the price you pay for it. Probably a good thing it's so expensive though because it really is the most rubbish food you can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Chicago town takeaway ftw, less than a fiver, will feed 2 and they're delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Tesco have packets of pizza base mix that come out really well with an extra drop of olive oil. You bake the base, then add toppings and put it in a while longer. You can be really creative and with a bit of practice you can have them coming out really nice.

Dominos is still nice once in a while, though. One deal they have thats definitely worth it is the two for tuesday.

That pizza mix is also dirt cheap at 59c. Yes....59c! :)

Jen.

Il second this. But really id eat the whole thing by myself not a bother!

Edit...quoting on the chicagotown never came through....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Lovely:

Serves 2 (maybe 3):

500ml flour
    15g dry yeast
    1 Tbs honey
    1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    200ml water + milk mix (warm/tepid)

Add the honey and oil to the water-milk. Then add the yeast and set aside for 10 minutes. Once the yeast has reacted with the sugar in the mixture add the flour, in small batches. Once all the flour has been incorporated, knead until smooth, soft and springy. Set aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement