Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven Cleaning

Options
  • 16-11-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Not a cooking thread, but maybe I can gather some answers here.

How do you clean your oven? Are you using the spray on caustic foam that seems to have been around forever? If you are using the new products where all the removable bits go in a bag with another caustic solution, how do you clean the oven walls and glass bits?

Anyone using a steam cleaner? Anyone found a skin friendly degreaser that is water soluble?

I'm using the bags and the caustic foam. The results are an oven as good as new. Consistent results but always with the added bonus of some minor skin irritations and a huge clean up. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We have a self-cleaning oven which is awesomely handy. For the removable parts, we stick them in the bags with the caustic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Anytime we've cleaned our oven we've just used those sprays that you leave for an hour then a load of elbow grease!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I use a steamer and elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Whats the steamer like? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Hey, would anyone like to clean my oven? I'll pay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Minder wrote: »
    Whats the steamer like? Any good?

I find it to be great, it get used for a myriad of jobs around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

Don't know if anyone mentioned this and maybe it is self evident but heat up your oven before you start cleaning .

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

longshanks wrote: »

http://www.oven.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

smokie2008 wrote: »

Great idea, but not available outside Dublin from what I can see from their site.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Oven Pride is one of the plastic baggie jobs, but you only use half the bottle in the bag and the other half gets spread on the bottom/walls of the oven itself (as per instructions on the box).

It is unreal stuff- zero elbow grease required, the oven comes up like brand new, and best of all no rank taste/smell like that which can linger after using spray/foam cleaner.

I've been on the move a lot over the last 3 years- have used it to fantastic effect in 6 different houses I've lived in and when I introduced to my (usually very skeptical) mother last year, she was astounded.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Flash with bleach is great at cutting through the grease. I take the glass panels off and do them in the sink. Then I just use Fairy and elbow grease for the rest. I always leave a tray covered in tin foil in the bottom of my oven to catch spills - saves big time on cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

complicit wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone mentioned this and maybe it is self evident but heat up your oven before you start cleaning .

That's a good idea if you are using ordinary detergents, Brillo, Flash, etc., but never ever heat up your oven if you are going to use that caustic spray stuff, its highly flammable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

smokie2008 wrote: »

Has anyone used this company? I'm considering it, but I'd love to hear of any experience anyone had with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

+ 1 for the oven pride stuff, it's fantastic! Good as new oven with no effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

longshanks wrote: »

I know someone who pays €80 once a year for her oven to be cleaned and she says its the best money she's ever spent.

Cleaning the oven is the WORST chore as a grown up!!
    Oven Pride is one of the plastic baggie jobs, but you only use half the bottle in the bag and the other half gets spread on the bottom/walls of the oven itself (as per instructions on the box).

It is unreal stuff- zero elbow grease required, the oven comes up like brand new, and best of all no rank taste/smell like that which can linger after using spray/foam cleaner.

I've been on the move a lot over the last 3 years- have used it to fantastic effect in 6 different houses I've lived in and when I introduced to my (usually very skeptical) mother last year, she was astounded.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

This stuff is amazing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Can you use Oven Pride on 'new' ovens? The pack tells you not to use it on certain surfaces ...... I don't know what my oven is made of. I always assumed you can only use it on really old ovens and not the stuff they make newer ovens out off. <-- I'm trying to make this make sense - but it's late! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

My oven is two years old and I use Oven Pride and everything seems to be ok. Its great stuff. Used sprays before, they are useless.

Only bought my oven a year ago and have used the Oven Pride stuff twice, no ill effects.

To anyone who has used Oven Pride - do you use it on the oven door glass?

The FAQ on the website says not to: http://www.ovenpride.com/frequently-asked-questions#question1

The glass door on my oven is the bit I find hardest to clean.

Must put my hands up and admit I have used it on the glass but I only wipe it, on leave about a minute and wipe off again. Does a fantastic job. Probably best not to leave it on for too long though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

i use a paint scraper to do the glass door - it takes all the burnt stuff off and it doesnt scratch it. i use oven pride for the rest - that stuff should get a nobel prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rdnd

Spray on oven cleaner, turn on your oven and put a pot of just boiled water in it. Leave it for 20 mins. The steam from the water along with the cleaner means the grease slides off. Easy-peasy!:D

Caros wrote: »
    Must put my hands up and admit I have used it on the glass but I only wipe it, on leave about a minute and wipe off again. Does a fantastic job. Probably best not to leave it on for too long though.

OK, I'm going to try this - thanks!

i use a paint scraper to do the glass door - it takes all the burnt stuff off and it doesnt scratch it. i use oven pride for the rest - that stuff should get a nobel prize.

I've tried this and it just won't come off - so vexing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I always use Brillo and elbow grease on the glass door. My (non-oven cleaning!!) family members have said if I did it often enough it would not need so much elbow grease!! But of course they are right, I just need to bribe them to join my oven-cleaning team!

Does anyone else agree with me that the person who designed those oven doors with the open part at the top, should be tortured terribly and then shot!! All the greasy drips in there and I have to use a screwdriver to dismantle it to clean. He/she obviously must have someone to clean their oven for them! Grrrrrr!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Does anyone else agree with me that the person who designed those oven doors with the open part at the top, should be tortured terribly and then shot!! All the greasy drips in there and I have to use a screwdriver to dismantle it to clean. He/she obviously must have someone to clean their oven for them! Grrrrrr!

+ 1 on the grrrr!!

quaalude wrote: »
    Has anyone used this company? I'm considering it, but I'd love to hear of any experience anyone had with it.

An update on this - I booked oven.ie for an oven clean yesterday, and I am delighted with the results.

My oven (Zanussi, electric, double oven) was pretty manky. I've tried cleaning it with products like Mr. Muscle etc. with not much luck - there was always stuff that wouldn't come off.

So the cleaning technician Brian came to my house on time, and was very nice. I asked would I have to lock my cat up, but he explained that he doesn't use toxic chemicals so that wouldn't be necessary.

So I left him to it and 2 hours late my oven was sparkling, inside and out.
    I've attached before and after pics of the door of the top oven.

Fantastic!!!! How much do they charge?

Caros wrote: »
    Fantastic!!!! How much do they charge?

It was €79. I emailed him for a quote before I made the booking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

wow it looks like a new oven, mine looked like the before pic:eek:
    I bought some oven mate from Lakeland when I was over in the UK. It was really easy to use, just paint it on and wait til it turns brown then wipe it off. Worked a treat, but I don't think you can get it shipped over here, bit cheaper than getting someone to do it... although have to say if I could afford it I would prefer someone else to do it... as well as the cleaning, washing, ironing, cooking etc...:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement