Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 toll

Options
  • 16-11-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭

Pay €3 for crossing today by 8pm tomorrow, or its €6.
    Rip off or ok?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Set up a video account online and it's €2.50 instead of €3 and no chance of not paying as it comes out of your bank account or credit card. Best way of doing it if you don't travel often. €2 quid if you set up a tag account, but there's a monthly €1 fee, so don't bother if you don't use it often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I will have to try that, i dont cross often, but the 5 or 6 times this year i forgot every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Set up a video account online and it's €2.50 instead of €3 and no chance of not paying as it comes out of your bank account or credit card. Best way of doing it if you don't travel often. €2 quid if you set up a tag account, but there's a monthly €1 fee, so don't bother if you don't use it often.
    +1, it's a no-brainer really.

Originally Posted by thehomeofDob
    +1, it's a no-brainer really.

Thats true, but still i believe its a rip off, some people cross it on the way to airport who never use it, for their holidays maybe, and get home to find a €45 euro bill for a €3 euro toll for not paying within 14 days. That to me does deserve a mention in a rip off thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

With the amount of tolls around ireland now, its well worth it to get a toll tag. They work for all the tolls and no hassle with looking for change etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I will have to try that, i dont cross often, but the 5 or 6 times this year i forgot every time.

Once or twice you might forget,

but if you really incurred a late fee 6 times without looking into the alternatives (like tags or video accounts), I wouldn't have much sympathy.

With the amount of tolls around ireland now, its well worth it to get a toll tag. They work for all the tolls and no hassle with looking for change etc.

Does the tag require a deposit from you or can it be post-paid now with tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Does the tag require a deposit from you or can it be post-paid now with tags?
    Take a look here...

http://www.tagcompare.ie/account_types.html

SkidMark wrote: »
    Once or twice you might forget,
    Yes if crossing 6 times one day after another. Easily done if cross once a month, and if forgetful like me:)
    but if you really incurred a late fee 6 times without looking into the alternatives (like tags or video accounts), I wouldn't have much sympathy.

No one is looking for sympathy, thats for tragic events. Its a rip of thread. A €3 euro fee become €45 euro in 2 weeks seems a little over the top. I guess its your own fault when it happens because you forgot and so its not a rip off.

I also pre paid 4 trips early this year by paying €12 before using it because i know i would be crossing for 2 days in a row. After this i was hit for 2 late payments of €6 which eventually they realised was a mistake because i had the receipts printed.

I agree with what your saying, registering is better etc, but it is still a rip off. And it was €2 to cross before the barriers were lifted for non registered, then that became €3 overnight. How much did that toll plaza cost everyone every morning and evening in time lost before they lifted the barriers.

I actually registered the video account last night, maybe would be as well getting the tag, i thought it required a pre-pay account for the tag, maybe it did at one time. Maybe i wont think its as bad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Is the video account option only available for the M50? I rarely go through toll roads (my main commute is the M9/M7 so no tolls at the mo :) ) especially the west link. I don't want to bother paying a monthly fee if I may not even go through a single toll nor do I want to bother paying the E40 start up fee.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Is the video account option only available for the M50? I rarely go through toll roads (my main commute is the M9/M7 so no tolls at the mo :) ) especially the west link. I don't want to bother paying a monthly fee if I may not even go through a single toll nor do I want to bother paying the E40 start up fee.

No i think only on the M50 has it because it has no barriers or staff, all other toll plaza`s have barriers i think.

The €40 start up account was what i was talking about, this is a pre pay amount which when it drops to €12 is automatically topped up to €40 again. I think you have the choice to have a post pay tag though, which incurs a monthly charge of €1.21 now.

Actually got a non payment €6 notice in the door in the last hour for a crossing last friday, but they have put it onto the newly set up video acount as a €2.50 crossing, so thats something at least.

Now to get something done about the bad memory:D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I guess its your own fault when it happens because you forgot and so its not a rip off.

If you forget to pay, it's not a rip-off, it's your own fault. If you go on holidays for two weeks, you can pay the toll in advance, so that's not a rip-off, you just have to do a little research.

The whole M50 toll saga is an utter disgrace, and an example of government incompetence, but that's a whole other discussion. But I don't think €3 is a rip-off.

Slasher wrote: »
    If you forget to pay, it's not a rip-off, it's your own fault. If you go on holidays for two weeks, you can pay the toll in advance, so that's not a rip-off, you just have to do a little research.

The whole M50 toll saga is an utter disgrace, and an example of government incompetence, but that's a whole other discussion. But I don't think €3 is a rip-off.

No its a rip off no matter how you look at it. I forgot, thats fair enough. But if your logic is correct then it would be ok to charge €100 if you forget, after all, it would be your own fault so that means its ok.

I think €3 is a bit of a rip off in the first place, it was €2 before the barriers went, then overnight it went to €3 unless you register, at which point they said you get a discount for registering, where as in reality you were just charged 50% more for not registering.

Even €2.00 is €4 a day. Thats €1000 for 50 weeks. It might be ok if there was a proper alternative but there is not really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

IngazZagni wrote: »

One of the toll tag companies [I think it's tolltag.ie] don't charge the monthly admin fee, instead they charge 10% on top of the toll whenever you use it. Costs less if you weren't using the tolled roads that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Thats true, but still i believe its a rip off, some people cross it on the way to airport who never use it, for their holidays maybe, and get home to find a €45 euro bill for a €3 euro toll for not paying within 14 days. That to me does deserve a mention in a rip off thread.

If you can afford a holiday for more than 2 weeks, surely you can afford €45.

double GG wrote: »
    If you can afford a holiday for more than 2 weeks, surely you can afford €45.

Maybe you meant this:)
    If you can afford a holiday for more than 2 weeks, surely you can afford to be ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

No its a rip off no matter how you look at it.

Even €2.00 is €4 a day. Thats €1000 for 50 weeks. It might be ok if there was a proper alternative but there is not really.

the alternative is to drive the older roads - the non-toll route - which will probably add an extra 40-50mins to your journey.

I usually avoid toll roads - even if it does add extra time to my journey - I'm in no rush when I travel long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

I agree with robbie7730 the toll bunch are rip off merchants. 3 anecdotes.
    Ive paid them on the m50 toll plaza for my wife they sent a 6euro fine in the post, saying it hadnt been paid. When my wife rang them with bank statement and reg no. They couldnt find the details in their crap system to varify, at the expense of my phone credit... ( I wasnt around to get the recipt no. from paying the toll) then next day rang again after the first rude phone operator was of no help, still no help. eventually weeks later we got another letter saying it was paid.. wtf. I should have let them take me to court to find out for themselves they're as thick as *&$!
    The exact same thing happened a work mate who ignored the letters, then got nasty phone calls when the fine was over 200Euros, eventually they resolved it without any action.
    Im sure some suckers would re pay just to have a hastle free life tho.

Not to mention getting a fine for a car that never once drove in dublin let alone the mfeckin50.

They re a disgrace 200Euros after a few weeks for a toll fine???? they're still living in Berties rip off scam land , bad luck to who ever profits from it, bunch of unrestricted profiteers, they made daily life a drudgery and hell for many of the working comuting people of that city for years.
    :D

• Advertisement

Yes they cost everyone up to an hour or more in delays a day. They double an already expensive €3 fee within 1 day for not paying. Imagine leaving your esb bill a day past the "pay by" date and then it doubles.

Would all the people who think its ok for the toll to double in a day and go up by 1500% in 2 weeks still think it would be ok if every bill we get did the same?

And when ye think of it, average years car tax is €333 and toll fees would be €1000 euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

What happens if a foreign visitor, in a foreign reg car doesn't pay

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

They get a house in Longford and free use of the hospital system

Advertisement