Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power Station C&C

• 16-11-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm doing a mini photo assignment and I choose the following power station as a subject - so if anyone has any C&C for these preliminary photos I'd be be really grateful - thanks folks!

5182067407_02d4b4032a_z.jpg

2. Initially I thought I'd go with a "dark" theme, thus this photo
    5176313860_8ce0c71b33_z.jpg

5182663710_c0bb2bee24_z.jpg

5182670280_de1b83dcd5_z.jpg

5182087009_cebdafdd80_z.jpg

7. [removed]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

Hi Trican,
    I admire you taking on this project and it is obvious you've already spent some time and effort there taking photographs at various times.
    For me, I'm not a big fan of the "portrait" format of many of the shots. Nor am I a fan of great big empty skies - in most photographs.
    Of the portrait frames, I like number one the best but if these were my photographs, I would consider cropping out the sky and making the photo a square format. In my view, I think that makes a stronger composition. Just my opinion though.
    Of the set, my favourite would be number 6. For me, the landscape format works, the lighting and street/town lights are good, the proportion of the buildings in the frame works and there is a distinct sense of power in it.
    Good work though. Hope the project goes really well for you. Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Hi Zxc,

I really appreciate the detailed feedback, particularly your comments about the format and excessive amount of sky. Oddly enough I shot most of the photos in landscape format, but clearly the majority that I processed were in portrait format - I wasn't even aware I was doing that until you pointed it out! I think subconsciously my initial intention with the large amount of sky and grassy foreground was to try demonstrate how such a large building, such as a power station, can merge and enhance a natural landscape under, even when that's all about gentle tones (this despite thinking initially it should be shot as a grim, dark pollution monster). I agree with what your saying, so I'll need to rethink how to shoot that or at the very least crop it different - again great suggestion regarding the square format.

thanks again for the C&C!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you've posted too many; there are nice shots there, but some are too similar. 3 is the best for me, but i suspect that if you could get the top left quarter of 2 on its own, it could be fabulous; the backlit vapour clouds would look great. the shot is a bit too busy as is.

Many thanks for the C&C magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Some lovely pics there. 3 and 6 are my favourites. I like 2 the way it is, the busyness is a great contrast to the clean bright airy spaces in the others.

3 might be better if it wasn't so tall and 6 might be a little bit too close for me.

I'd leave out 5 and 7. 5 looks a bit awkward and 7 is pretty standard powerlines stuff.

• Advertisement

Thanks Promac! I agree about 3, Zxc's suggestion for a square format might help though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Well done! I like #2 & #6. Off to your flickr page now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

trican wrote: »
    (this despite thinking initially it should be shot as a grim, dark pollution monster)

I presume you're familiar with Bernd and Hilla Becher -for me they do industrial better than anyone...

bernd_and_hilla_becher_l.jpg

I have to say that I like your images, the sky doesn't put me off, and as you say it shows how something so big is still dwarfed by the landscape...

TinyExplosions, thats absolutely super, I wasn't aware of Bernd and Hilla Becher. I should research industrial photographers further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

trican wrote: »
    TinyExplosions, thats absolutely super, I wasn't aware of Bernd and Hilla Becher. I should research industrial photographers further

Then you need to get straight to google my man -they are the kings of industrial in my view -terribly German and totally awesome -among my favourite photographers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I like the first one a lot. The Power station is a bit off center though. I like empty spaces/sky.
    the second one has too much going on for me.

thanks dinneenp that's a great point about the centering - it also lacks a little detail towards the right hand side, though I bracketed the shot so I may be able to pull out more detail from one of the other exposures.

Thanks again!

Advertisement